iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Way

Started by Magicman, December 02, 2012, 06:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Oftentimes here on the open FF and in PM's, I am asked various "how to" questions.  These questions are always welcomed and are responded to as best I know.  My answers are not necessarily the only way or even the right way, but they are "my way".

There are other sawyers, etc. here that are much more knowledgeable than I, and they are also just as willing to give as others are to receive.  Since we all are tuned to slightly different niche markets and most are using slightly or even vastly different sawmills, our response may be the same and yet very different.  All are based on the experience that we have and the mistakes that we have probably made and learned from.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

There are many ways to do just about anything. Unless you are my FIL and there is only one way,his.   ::)  Some more be slower,quicker,cost less,cost more,but the job gets done.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

NWP

MM, I don't even have a mill but look forward to reading your posts about how you handle sawing.  Your posts are informative and interesting.  Thanks for sharing your wisdom.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Skoalbandit78

Well said Magic Man. I know I appreciate any and all advice from everybody. Especially beginners like myself, what I have learned on this site is amazing.

Okrafarmer

The Magic way must work-- you sawed more than 1,000,000 board feet.  :)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

And then there is PatD's way........ :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

shelbycharger400

I here ya magic!

Sometimes doing things by the book dosnt work! Sometimes human error happens

Read a post a bit back bout sawing the humps out of a log.  Had a nice bowed log, put it in clamped it well with hump up.   I had a turn for the worse.  One clamp weld broke loose and didnt see it, log shifted, then bar bound up, kept pushing and one removable bunk turned (bunks have the clamps )  chain dived.    a 7 foot mantle that had slight bow that I tried to back edge. well needless to say after It happened 2 times I found the broken weld on a clamp allowing it to shift. Finding it after turning angry and tearing the log off the mill  >:(  It made me feel better chewin it up with a chainsaw!

captain_crunch

Guys
I tend to be the YOU All WATCH THIS type so I find it better keep some of my methods to myself rather than endanger innocent bystanders ??? ::)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Charles135

As a younger guy in the crowd and and especially new sawyer I do really appreciate all the info and wisdom that everyone is willing to share on the FF. 
Thanks again guys!
Charlie
Foley Belsaw M-14, JD MT, Massey Harris 44, F-30 Farmall, A JD, 3203 JD, 5300 JD, JD 4039 Power Unit
Serving the Thin Blue Line Since 1998

Misfit

Quote from: NWP on December 02, 2012, 06:26:54 PM
MM, I don't even have a mill but look forward to reading your posts about how you handle sawing.  Your posts are informative and interesting.  Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

My feelings exactly - couldn't have said it better myself NWP.

I will never consider myself an expert on anything; since an "ex" is a has-been and a "(s)pert" is a drip under pressure.  ;D
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

WmFritz

If I learned one thing since findin the FF, its how little I really know :D :-\ :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Andy White

Magicman,  Anyone who has sawed a million bdft is an expert in my book, even tho I don't have many pages written in it yet. I read and study with intrest and the wisdom of your words tends to get clearer as I do. Thanks for the words of encouragement and support you give to new mill owners just starting out .  Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

tgalbraith

It is really a good feeling, to know that there are many people in this world that are willing to go out of there way to help there fellow man.  I am relatively new to " the forum" but have learned a vast amount of knowledge just from reading the posts found here.  I have posted afew of my ideas, and utilized alot of tips that I found here.  Keep up the good work and saw on --

p.s. Now if we could get our congressmen to follow this example   
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

beenthere

Jeff, da Boss, ought to feel real proud of what he has done for so many by setting up and sticking with this great Forum.
Prolly frustrating for him at times to have to deal with the "fringe", but overall this is a great bunch and willing to share their experiences (be it "my way" or whatever  ;D ).

Thanks Jeff 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I only wish that it had been available to me when I started out.  Sure, it was there, but that was several years before I owned a computer, and then it was even more years before I knew what a "forum" was.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Magicman on December 03, 2012, 09:16:18 PM
I only wish that it had been available to me when I started out.  Sure, it was there, but that was several years before I owned a computer, and then it was even more years before I knew what a "forum" was.

I do remember old Bill Cosby talking about the "Family Forum." That was my first exposure to the word.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

bandmiller2

Very true, as they say "your mileage may very".As with most machinery large doses of common sence are needed. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Providing a needed service, satisfying customers, being personally rewarded for producing a quality product, getting dog tired, and getting paid to do so.   Don't get much better than that.   :)

Meadows Miller

Gday

Great thread Lynn  ;) ;D I think its Awesome Jeff and everyone else behind the scenes puts in the amount of effort thay do so people have a great place they can come and Share, Learn and Enjoy themselves   :) :) ;)  ;D ;D 8) I generally stuck to myself and my work in life until I came here and found other people with the same mindset n outlook on life who share the same interests in life and  timber and im glad i did  :) :)

I think the Forest Industry is one of the last Industries that will truely let any man or woman do what they need to the way they want to you can have 100 people running the same bit gear and they all can do things a little diferently and their own way with their own gaols in life ,projects , products and markets  it keeps and makes it very interesting  ;) ;D ;D 8)

I am 4th generation and was born into it and feel very lucky i was but ask my Grandfather,Dad and Uncle's n Cousins who have all been or are in this game themselves they would all be doing something a little different to the way I am doing it and it dose make for some interesting conversations at family functions and Christmass time  ;) and I get plenty of Advice  ;)  :) :D :D ;D ;D

And as you put it "Don't get much better than that" is spot on Lynn ;) ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

samandothers

As others have stated this is a great forum and great folks willing to help.  I appreciate the knowledge that is put in the posts.  Now my challenge is being able to understand and apply.  ::)  The tips and tricks are great.

I thank all who share their experience and knowledge for those like me that are so much lower on the learning curve!

tractormanNwv

Very well said Magicman, I try to explain to the "new guys" that are sent to work with me that, "my" way may be different than yours / others.....but that does'nt mean that it is any less efficient than anyone elses. My Great Grandfather was always noted as saying..theres more ways than one to kill a cat than just the flat side of a board,   Not that he actually killed a cat.

Jim

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: tractormanNwv on December 07, 2012, 09:20:14 AM
Very well said Magicman, I try to explain to the "new guys" that are sent to work with me that, "my" way may be different than yours / others.....but that does'nt mean that it is any less efficient than anyone elses. My Great Grandfather was always noted as saying..theres more ways than one to kill a cat than just the flat side of a board,   Not that he actually killed a cat.

Jim

Jim,

My dad (who every one called Jim, even though is birth certificate said his name was Henry...) used to say that there's more than one way to skin a cat and unfortunately the cat doesn't seem to enjoy any of them...

Herb

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Magicman on December 05, 2012, 08:26:34 AM
Providing a needed service, satisfying customers, being personally rewarded for producing a quality product, getting dog tired, and getting paid to do so.   Don't get much better than that.   :)

That sums it up real well.

Thank You Sponsors!