iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FEL? defined?

Started by Ljohnsaw, December 02, 2012, 01:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

FEL is probably an acronym for something.  I see lots of talk of using them but I don't really have a clear picture of what they are.  I think they are the hydraulic tongs on the top of a bucket, but not too sure.  Can someone please educate me - pictures would be great as well!
Thanks,
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

celliott

I know it as Front End Loader, as on a tractor.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: celliott on December 02, 2012, 01:29:27 PM

Thanks!  Now when I read it, I can picture it, rather than a bunch of question marks floating in space... :D
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 02, 2012, 02:46:45 PM
Quote from: celliott on December 02, 2012, 01:29:27 PM

Thanks!  Now when I read it, I can picture it, rather than a bunch of question marks floating in space... :D

You mean like this?
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Maybe I should make a FEL-operating smiley!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

thecfarm

I was doing something and thought about FEL. I looked in the Forestry Forum Dictionary and there it was. This is under EXTRAS kinda at the top. I forgot about that great wealth of information.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thurlow

Far be it from me to cause trouble, but maybe one of the 'regulars' could ax;  can we have a new forum category........front end loaders?  ;D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Okrafarmer

Quote from: thurlow on December 02, 2012, 05:07:25 PM
Far be it from me to cause trouble, but maybe one of the 'regulars' could ax;  can we have a new forum category........front end loaders?  ;D

:-X

Ouch, you are causing trouble!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

thecfarm

Trouble makers get sent to Disney Land.  ;D

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: thecfarm on December 02, 2012, 05:04:23 PM
I was doing something and thought about FEL. I looked in the Forestry Forum Dictionary and there it was. This is under EXTRAS kinda at the top. I forgot about that great wealth of information.

Thanks, now I know where the dictionary is located.  I've got lots of reading to do, there is lots of words that I need to look up so I don't pester you guys! :D  I did a search on "FEL" in the general Forum search - but no luck.  Apparently the dictionary is not linked to the search there.
John Sawicky

clww

There are NO bad questions, so don't worry about that.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

learner

FEL / Front End Loader

Otherwise known as a sawyers best friend.  Well, mine anyway.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Okrafarmer

Learner, from here I can't tell what brand of FEL that is. Is it a Massey Ferguson model 30?

learner

Pretty good call there, it's a MF 300.  Gonna retire the old girl to lighter work when we get the forklift running.  We've had a couple logs the old girl just couldn't move.  Had to use the dozer to get them to the mill.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

DRB

Where I work a FEL would be a Free Electron Laser, Just goes to show you most acronyms have many meanings and that is why they can be confusing sometimes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-electron_laser

Magicman

Fat Albert at work.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Magicman, you and Fat Albert are classics.  ;D In your case, you have a FAL. Fat Albert Loader.

barbender

Or an SGH- Southern Gentleman's Helper ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Okrafarmer

Quote from: barbender on December 03, 2012, 09:30:07 AM
Or an SGH- Southern Gentleman's Helper ;D

No, SGH is SweetGum Hauler, and Magicman would have a conniption if we talked about Sweetgummery on here.

OlJarhead

Hey MM how long are those chains?  Interesting way to load logs onto something.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

captain_crunch

My setup is a little different than M_M uses

My bucket has 3 hooks both corners and middle the short chains will hook up to about 12ft for longer ones I have 12 ft chain that I hook in middle and out sides allowing me to go 18ft.
M_M's set up uses one chain to the ring in hook. His hooks are lots heavier than mine I used old PeeVee hooks seem to be strong enough to stand 2910 ford on nose. I have forks also but forks don't work on trailers with sides too well so out come hooks
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

OlJarhead

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

learner

Quote from: DRB on December 03, 2012, 12:53:48 AM
Where I work a FEL would be a Free Electron Laser, Just goes to show you most acronyms have many meanings and that is why they can be confusing sometimes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-electron_laser
Please don't get me started on that.  At one time in my life i was an electronics engineer. 
:D Okra I LIKE that!  A SGH.  I've made it my mission in life to change the way people think about our under-loved gummy tree.  On another note.
I like your idea captain.  One long chain for hooking the ends and a shorter center chain for securing the center of the log.  Better grip and a lot more safety.  I'll post pics when i get the idea i have worked out.

1woodguy

All this time I thought it meant friendly elephant loader
And wondered why no one mentioned using a UEL ( unfriendly elephant loader)
  But then I thought this was the elephant ranching forum
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

Magicman

Quote from: OlJarhead on December 03, 2012, 11:09:19 AMHey MM how long are those chains?

A 20' class 70 tol handle 16' logs.  When I have 20' logs, I have to use two.  I also have two shorter permanently attached chains for handling 8' logs.

Speaking of Sweetgum.  I saw this tree today. 

Talk about gumballs !!!   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

You ought to be one of those guys that goes around and refills all the gumball vending machines in the grocery stores! I think they charge like .25c for a gumball these days. . . .

Thank You Sponsors!