iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cascade

Started by slider, December 02, 2012, 08:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

I tried cascade for the first time on some pitchy pine yesterday.I know mm and customsawyer use it but what about the grit in it.I'm concerned about my pump.Did i buy the wrong kind ?
al glenn

thecfarm

think Magicman buys the liquid Cascade.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

No problems with the liquid.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

slider

Liquid is what I was using  but it has some forme of grit in it that i was worried about.
al glenn

customsawyer

I just put about one good squirt into the 5 gal. jug and then shake it pretty good. With that small of amount I haven't seen any bad results. Keep in mind that I only have about 400 hours on that mill and not all of them have had cascade in the lube. I only use it when the pine is going to have heavy pitch.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

They said it, liquid Cascade, and I have never seen anything other than liquid in a jug.  The contents of your jug must have been contaminated in some way??

What many folks do not know is that Cascade is formulated to not foam and make bubbles.  That makes the jug filling much simpler.  I have tried the generic brands, but they foam, and did not seem to work as well as the real stuff.

Dawn dish soap and Murphy's work, but they foam badly.

Remove the squirter.

And add one glug per gallon of water.  I probably use too much, but it works.  The great majority of my sawing is Pine, so it is always filled with a Cascade mix.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Out of the bottle it does looks gritty , especially the colder it is, but I think it all dissolves in water.  I've never seen anything left in the bottle and it doesn't clog the metal screen in the filter module.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

shelbycharger400

Ugh O....

Magic is using a container not within Its original intended use.
I once used the cascade powder formula , flushing a radiator or heater core. That stuff didnt disolve very well at all. 

Shotgun

Quote from: Magicman on December 02, 2012, 09:04:18 AM

And add one glug per gallon of water.  I probably use too much, but it works.  The great majority of my sawing is Pine, so it is always filled with a Cascade mix.   :)

Magicman, I have scoured The Dictionary of Units of Measurements ( http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/ ), and I don't see the term "glug" as a unit of measurement mentioned anywhere. Can you refine this term a bit, please?

;D

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

learner

Even the Woodmizer folks(allthough they won't admit it hehe) swear by cascade.  As I see it, plain water first, then water+cascade, then water+cascade and pine-sol for the really gummy stuff.
But what is stickier than Pine?  I say follow Magics advice.  If the cascade seems gritty, try heating the mixture so it can disolve better.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: learner on December 02, 2012, 09:38:00 PM
Even the Woodmizer folks(allthough they won't admit it hehe) swear by cascade.  As I see it, plain water first, then water+cascade, then water+cascade and pine-sol for the really gummy stuff.
But what is stickier than Pine?  I say follow Magics advice.  If the cascade seems gritty, try heating the mixture so it can disolve better.

Oh yeah....start heating Cascade, Pine Sol and other ingredients and they'll arrest you for something.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

Quote from: learner on December 02, 2012, 09:38:00 PM

Tamarack is by far, the most pitchy of anything I've sawn to date!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

glug. Maybe a new word for the forestry forum dictionary?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Shotgun on December 02, 2012, 06:30:21 PM
Magicman, I have scoured The Dictionary of Units of Measurements ( http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/ ), and I don't see the term "glug" as a unit of measurement mentioned anywhere. Can you refine this term a bit, please?
Quote from: Magicman on December 02, 2012, 09:24:20 PM
No.

Glug : Teaspoon = Whack : Cord.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

Seems like we had a thread once a while back about whacks, and other noncomittal units of measure.

Including things like Tad, Smidgeon, Hair, Whallop, Mess, Boat-load, and Wee Bitty.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Okrafarmer

How many glugs per slosh?

rmack

Quote from: Okrafarmer on December 02, 2012, 10:15:05 PM

I think a glug is between a dollop and a snort... 2 snorts to a slosh.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Okrafarmer

Quote from: rmack on December 02, 2012, 10:24:45 PM

:-X
Dude, you're not supposed to snort it.

terrifictimbersllc

In the glossary right before grit,  grits , and grog.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

JohnM

Quote from: Shotgun on December 02, 2012, 06:30:21 PM

;D

Norm

:D :D :D
And absolutely everyone here, whether they have a mill or not, knew exactly what he meant! :D

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

rmack

Quote from: Okrafarmer on December 02, 2012, 10:27:34 PM
Quote from: rmack on December 02, 2012, 10:24:45 PM

:-X
Dude, you're not supposed to snort it.

sorry, left coast thinking from my long distant past.

long story short, quit whining about the soap.  8) :D
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Tree Feller

From Dictionary.com

World English Dictionary
glug  (ɡlʌɡ) 

— n   
a word representing a gurgling sound, as of liquid being poured from a bottle or swallowed 

[C19: of imitative origin] 

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Thank You Sponsors!