iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the use of ash for lumber

Started by Tom L, December 02, 2012, 08:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L

are there any other uses for ash trees other than baseball bats and such

I visited a jobsite yesterday with a lot of ash trees down. owner does not know what to do with them, but he has a lot of need for lumber

would the ash trees make good lumber or are they not recommended

anyone use them for framing or boards?

WDH

It makes nice furniture.  Powderpost beetles love it, though, so not so good for some outdoor applications.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

T Welsh

Tom L, Its called poor mans oak in our area! It has good strength, it like,s to twist,its fairly easy to work with and takes finishes well! You can build anything you would like with it. Draw backs are,did I say it likes to twist! Does not hold up to weather well. I have a buddy that used it to build hay wagons with and they are really nice!. He had two logs that he didn't know what to do with and had me saw them into beams,cross framing,boards and up rights. Tim

thecfarm

Could it be used to build with? I suppose using it green,right off the mill, would work better?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

davidv

I like the grain of ash alot, it's good for furniture and craft projects. Hardwood flooring maybe?

Okrafarmer

Quote from: davidv on December 02, 2012, 01:30:41 PM
I like the grain of ash alot, it's good for furniture and craft projects. Hardwood flooring maybe?

I'm sure you make bows out of it too. My dad made quite a few from ash. Arrows, too.

It is great for tool handles, rocking chairs, and the afore-mentioned baseball bats.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

learner

It's been 30 years but I remember installing a lot of ash trim in houses.  It's not a wood your average trim carpenter or cabinet maker Today can work right.  But a Master carpenter can do wonders with it if it's dried right.  The main problem with ash is its hardness.  Not easy to nail, screw or sand when used for finish work.
It takes a stain nicely if rubbed in but like i said, you wont find many carpenters today that know how to work with it the right way.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Lud

Don't transport it for firewood as EAB can be a risk.   But once the barks off and it's lumber ,  I agree with all the above comments.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

learner

I look forward to getting some Ash.  But being a new start up mill, the word hasn't got arround about us yet.  So far all i've had the pleasure of sawing is red oak, white oak, post oak, cedar, pine, sweetgum and black walnut.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

WDH

Don't get us started on sweetgum  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on December 03, 2012, 08:27:08 PM
Don't get us started on sweetgum  :D.

I'm sitting in my Lazy Boy, dozing.....YAWNING.........Did somebody say Sweetgum?  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

I have an extra 5 gallons of gas if you need it  ;D.

learner

Tis better to suffer the hardships of picking the fruit, rather than let the fruit rot on the vine.  You never know when hunger will strike and that Sweetgum might feed you.
;D

Okrafarmer

Quote from: learner on December 03, 2012, 10:41:57 PM
Tis better to suffer the hardships of picking the fruit, rather than let the fruit rot on the vine.  You never know when hunger will strike and that Sweetgum might feed you.
;D

Talking about food already?  :o Sweetgums are a poor substitute for food.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

I like ash. I just do hobby work, but I've probably handled 500 feet of it over the years between the table saw, the planer, steam chest, band saw and lathe. We don't have much oak around here for a market, but we have an endless (seems so) supply of ash. ;D As far as twist, I don't think ash is any more prone than maple or birch or cherry.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Axe Handle Hound

Ash makes beautiful furniture lumber.  I actually prefer it over many other species.  Here's a couple of pictures of a bathroom vanity I made out of green ash.  This is all air dried lumber and it's stayed reasonably flat.  Very little twist or warp, but it's helpful to pay attention to grain direction during construction.   

WDH

Lud

Very nice.  The deep shadow on the front panels looks like an inward slope.  Does that act as a finger grip?  Or will there be other hardware upon completion?
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

GeorgeK

George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

Axe Handle Hound

Thanks guys.  I built this thing for my house and then realized it wasn't going to work out so I've had it sitting in my shop for a while now.  Thankfully, my brother is going to take it off my hands so I can have my valuable floor space back. 

Lud- the shadow is just the result of the terrible lighting I have in my shop.  Those are flat panels with square rails and stiles, but your comment is really an interesting idea.  Using the rail profile to create a pull would give a really clean look to the front of a piece.  I'll have to file that one away for future use. 

metalspinner

I've made some furniture with ash lumber and loved working with it.  The grain is finer than red oak and I like the blond color.  But the figure can be wild and matching boards for different furniture components takes some extra time.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on December 06, 2012, 09:44:04 AM
realized it wasn't going to work out so I've had it sitting in my shop for a while now.  Thankfully, my brother is going to take it off my hands so I can have my valuable floor space back.

I just sent a couch and chair I never use down to my brother to make more room for stuff. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Chris,

I love the challenge of wild grain  :D.

I made a fireplace mantle out of ash for my In-laws, and it was very beautiful.  Dogy Loner's Aunt paneled her greatroom from walls to cathedral ceiling with v-groove ash.  That is my favorite room ever, period.

Larry

I used ash to build a little cabinet over the commode in the shop.  Matching vanity and medicine cabinet not pictured.  Grain was a bit interesting I thought.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!