iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing High

Started by Magicman, December 01, 2012, 07:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Up that is.  Today's sawjob had two Red Oaks that exceeded the limit and found me up on top of my perch. 

Sitting on top of the operator's seat back so I see the log's top.  The butt log is still on the ground.

The butt log was 39" and needed some Bibbying.  I intended to take a picture of the octagon, but forgot.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'll bet that LT 40 was ROCK-N-and ROLL'N. Good job!  smiley_thumbsup

What did the customer have sawn out of that log?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

customdave

Yep, thats some serious chewing alright  ;D, nice pics MM....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Magicman

Mainly 1X12's, but he wanted a dozen 2X12's for mantels I guess.  I did not ask, I just saw.   I did not count the logs but there were about 12-15 and a mixture of White and Red Oak.  The total tally was a bit over 1800 bf.

Hurricane Isaac logs have arrived.  I should be sawing mostly Oak for another customer next week.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

why the need to be out of the seat?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

To see better.   ;D  Sitting in the seat or walking, only the side of the log is visible.  When I am up, I can see over the log and see the blade guide and whatever else.  The seat back is a handy perch at times.

haywire woodlot

When I cut a 30" fir log for a customer last month, I had to walk along on the guide rail so I could see the out board guide block and so reach to push the slab off the top. I like to use a .055 band when I break down the big ones, the extra stiffness is great when making wide cuts.
Dave

Chuck White

Nice logs there, Lynn! 8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

learner

When your sawing the Big boys, you need to be able to watch Everything.  Several times i've had the debarker and guide hang on a small extrusion.
Getting above the seat helps keep an eye on things.  I like your idea of sitting on the top of the seat MM.  I've been standing up as best i can and just leaning over the log to keep an eye on things.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

WDH

Lotta heartwood in that log!

But, I guess that you saw that  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

yep, he saws it all.   8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Yup, I "sawed" it.  That butt log was also amazingly free of knots and the usual defects found in Water Oak.  No black streaks, discolored, or punky wood. 

WDH

Then leaves.  He saw em and leaves em.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

And I ask very few questions and give very little advice.   ;D

Delawhere Jack

Sure beats my method,.....using stilts..... :D smiley_greg_walking_stilts

Awfully hard to hold two stilts and control the saw at the same time... :(

Okrafarmer

Try sheetrock stilts.

Nice logs, MM. I have a nice red oak log kind of like that, I've been saving it for a special occasion. It seems to have a little metal in it. I will proceed with detector in hand when milling it, but it was so straight and sound-looking, I had to keep it.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

valley

Have a great day unless you have other plans !!!

ScottAR

I second the drywall stilts.  Practice first as falling down hurts a little and scares a lot as you have time to think about landing.  :D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Okrafarmer

Knee and elbow pads are recommended, maybe a helmet and you could think about some other padding too!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

You guys are using a different kind of sawmill than I use.   ???   ::)

drobertson

Until this post I never considered the challenge of large dia. logs with the walk along mills, I now can appreciate what you guys go through in a day.  And just to say lynn, you deserve a lil fun once in a while  ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

With a "Command Control" or similar setup, you could just move it to the other side and see everything very well.  Without that option, those "too big" logs present a challenge.  I often sit up there to see better, but had never had a picture taken before.  Another time that I will sit high is when the wind is wrong and blowing sawdust my way.   :-\

I thought that I had more Oak scheduled for this week's sawjob, but the customer told me this morning that it would be SYP framing lumber.  I love $awing 2X4's & 2X6's.  It is supposed to take a few days.

thecfarm

I see someone watching you.  I betcha he was thinking,that guy knows how to saw.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ga Mtn Man

Hey MM- Did you guys really load that HUGE oak log with those LogRite cant hooks or were they just for show.  The tractor in the background makes me suspicious. ;)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

Nope, Logrites all of the way, but it took all three.

Quote from: thecfarm on December 02, 2012, 06:00:46 PMI see someone watching you.  I betcha he was thinking,that guy knows how to saw.  ;D

That was a curious neighbor (and tractor owner) watching.  I gave him a card and told him if he ever needed sawing done to call me and I would recommend someone.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!