iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old WMLT10 vs new LT10

Started by OlJarhead, December 01, 2012, 02:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

I noticed on the WM site that the LT10 has gone through some changes and one of them seems to be the type of rails and the 'clamp' used to keep the mill on the rails.  In fact, it looked to me as if WM has done away with the angle iron 'clamp' that rode under the rails to hold it in place.

Is this the case?  Any other major changes?

Also, should I consider any of these when mounting my older LT10 onto a trailer?

Thanks in advance.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

Oops I was looking at the wrong side of the mill!  DOH

As you can see this is the right side of the mill and the clamps are on the left side.

Guess I'll not worry about it

dgdrls

I just received an update for my LT-10 from WM related to the "clamps"
Its an outboard 90 rail bolted to the main rails with four 90 deg ears bolted to the carriage
to keep the head from lifting off the tracks.

No sure its really needed, only time mine jumped the rails was my fault
for not placing a rod through the lower carriage and rails locking it in place.
Wind got going and it bounced against the rear stop tab and derailed.

DGDrls

OlJarhead

Is it for the older mills (prior to this years newer version)?

I have the original two angle iron 'clamps' that are pictured above (that's my mill) -- is this newer version much different?  Pics?

dgdrls

No the update appears to be for the new style 10 with the bigger galvanized rails.
The "catch rail Plate" needs to be mounted on the outside of the rail

here is the WM diagram,
DGDrls

Sixacresand

I ordered a log clamp like the ones on the latest model WM LT10.  The one on the 2010 model I have slides along the channel iron between the rails.  The present clamp doesn't hold and requires vise grips and three hands to operate. A real lemon design.  The new one requires drilling holes in each rail to install.  Will be glad to see FedX coming down the road. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

OlJarhead

Hmmmm....the catch rail plate is interesting.  I wonder if they did this so putting the mill on a trailer would be easier?  Otherwise, why do it when they could have left the old design alone?

I see how they've done it though and think I might be able to mod mine that way.

Why?  Well as it stands now I have to leave 1/2" of overhang for the 'mast latch plates' because they ride UNDER the bed frame rails whereas installing a 1 1/2" angle iron 'catch rail' under the track of the rollers would allow me to change out the old 'mast latch plates' with angle iron cut to fit under the new catch rail like in that picture.  Then I would sit the mill bed flat on any surface without having to worry about leaving an overhang.

About all that gets me is about 1" of extra trailer bed width but that might be worth it.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Sixacresand on December 01, 2012, 10:51:01 PM
I ordered a log clamp like the ones on the latest model WM LT10.  The one on the 2010 model I have slides along the channel iron between the rails.  The present clamp doesn't hold and requires vise grips and three hands to operate. A real lemon design.  The new one requires drilling holes in each rail to install.  Will be glad to see FedX coming down the road.

I'll have to ask them what they are getting for those and consider doing the same.  I've talked to my builder about making them but he's swamped now so it may be best to consider buying if the price is right.

dgdrls

New style clamps are about a Ben,  ($100.00)

I purchased a second one for my mill.
I found if I sand the cross pipe occasionally it slips less.
you still fight the clamp lifting or tilting a smaller log/cant.

As I noted below, not sure I will install this, short of the wind
pushing the head or the mill tipping I don't really see the value.
when I'm done sawing I put a rod through the carriage and rails
and its locked down.

DGDrls

OlJarhead

Never had mine jump off the rails from wind :o  But I've knocked it off even with the clamps by just being dumb! ;D

Anyway, I wouldn't buy the newer style with the rail etc if I was going to do it, I'd have the neighbor build it but the more I think about it the more I'm likely to leave it as is.

Thank You Sponsors!