iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

a new way to tow wood or logs

Started by Quebecnewf, December 01, 2012, 07:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Here are a few pics of some new sleds I am building . these will be used to haul wood and logs . There are 2 models one is 30 in wide by 12 ft long and the other is 36 in wide by 12 ft long

What do you think??

Quebecnewf

Holmes

Those are very nice... 8)   What is the base made from? Plywood? A poly?
Think like a farmer.

g_man

They look loke they should pull easy behind your snow machine. Very nice.

thecfarm

I kinda forgot about you. More ideas to get the logs out. Good luck to you. I hope things will freeze up for you. I just had 4° here,but suppose to be almost 50 on Monday. Like to see more pictures of them in use. Where did the bottoms come from? Are the sides some sort of plastic that will take the cold? They may go so good might be able to pull 2 at a time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shinnlinger

Send a pick next spring to compare   I too am curious what they are made of. 

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

beenthere

Quebecnewf
Good to hear from you. Was hoping you were ok, and can see you have been engineering some new skids.

Hard to get the perspective of how big they are (until you gave the widths).  Look forward to some pics hauling wood and hope you will have some ice to try them out on as well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Quebecnewf

The sleds are made of a special poly. They are 3/8" thick . The yellow model is 36" wide.red is 30" . In the pic the yellow one is rigged with wooden bunks for logs or long firewood. The redone has a wooden box on to haul firewood short.

I have material in stock to make 30 sleds . Half 36" and half 30". Order stock yesterday for 30 more. I see them replacing kometicks in our area. They are up to 30% easier to tow than a kometicks with the same load

I have some for sale if anyone is interested PM me

Quebecnewf

bill m

Do you have some kind of a runner/keel on the bottom so they track better around corners?
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Quebecnewf

If you look closely under the alum sections you will see white runners. The thing is with all sleds there is a trade off if you do a good job with runners to keep them from skidding then they are not so easy to tow. If you make them with no runners they are very easy to tow but skid around like krazy. On a day of soft snow you need no runners snow keeps them from skidding. On a day of hard crust snow you need lots of ruunner so you have to go somewhere in the middle with runners. These sleds have 4 runners on them 2 in front and 2 in the rear they are 16" long by 1" wide by 1/2" thick

Quebecnewf

JohnW

It looks like they would pull easily enough, but won't they tend to roll over on uneven ground?  Or are they for on the trail only?

bushmechanic

Very nice I assume you were using teflon on your slides before to come up with this idea.Teflon is the best because when it is mild the snow will not stick to it.Do you have a spring system on the hitch?May be hard on the plastic if not.Have you ever tried those sleds that look like bathtubs? 

roger 4400

Hi Paul. Very nice sleds, with those it will be easier for you to haul your logs and firewood. Wish you some cold so you will use your toys early  ;)
I came back from hunting, very nice weather only saw one 2 1/2 year old buck and let him alive so...more babies next year. On the best days I saw 12 to 18 deers per day,,,,a very nice trip. I felled some trees and used the new Stihl, did not as much I could do but my back is improving. Take care. Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

shelbycharger400

how well are they on a sand dirt ground , rough as a cob?
I like the idea of lightweight poly, how well would it hold up to haulin a 16 to 20 in dia log  ;D  pullin it out of the treeline with a truck up to the landing or the mill
Product testing like that makes me interested 

hamish

Must be a huge weight savings over a traditional Kometik.  What do your models weigh?
Any thoughts on defelction on ground obstacles? The runners will let it track well but in the bush, I can forsee loosing ones load very easily.

Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Quebecnewf

This is a new design for sleds. It has been done in this region but not quite the same as these for the last few years. It will (and this is just my gut talking) replace the normal kometicks and all other types of sleds in the next 3 years. It may not be exactly the same as these models but it will be an evolved version of what you see here.

You can not disagree with something that pulls 30% less than a normal  sleigh. Less load on the machine means you can tow bigger loads. They will not tip over. If the snow machine can handle the side slope the Harrington Sled will as well.

You cannot tow them over sand or gravel( why would you) . You can tow them through mud and clay.

They weigh approx the same as kometicks.  I have seen some of these box type sleighs that are on the market and I have tried a few . Most of them were ok for hauling a bit of luggage but other than that forget it.

I will post a pic in the next week of a new box I have built for the sleigh. This box will allow you to haul firewood short or whatever . This box is fitted on the sleigh over the log bunks. You just remove the box and you are ready to haul logs or firewood long. The bunks are never removed.

Quebecnewf

sawguy21

Good to see you back. I am intrigued by the way you do things, you live in a different environment than most of us and make the most of what you have.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Reddog

Interesting design.
I like how the plastic is the tongue, should really cut down on the broken tow bars like what happens on the fiberglass tub toboggans. But looks like it would not back up if the need arises.

Will be interesting to see how it turns in the woods. It would seem turning to tight might case the plastic to bulge and dig in on the inside of the corner.

So there may be a couple things that you need to plan ahead for, but how easy it slides will make up for some of that.

Keep us posted, they sure look a lot nicer than a car hood and rope like we use to use.  ;)

Quebecnewf

These sleds are designed for in the wood as well as in the open. You do have a limited turning radius . You can increase this by cutting the front of the sled different. This is not the best thing to do. Better to straighten out your path. These sleds back up real fine. You have to curl up the back  section. This is done with heat. They are sold uncurled as some customers do not need this option . You modify them as you see fit..

Quebecnewf

Quebecnewf

Here are a few pics of my newest box design. this box can be dropped on the sled allowing you to haul firewood short. In 5 minutes you can remove the box and bottom and you are ready to haul logs. The log bunks are not removed. The box fits over the bunks.

Still tweaking the design but getting closer to the final setup

Quebecnewf

Thank You Sponsors!