iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Meat pies!

Started by sbishop, November 30, 2012, 08:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

Anyone here ever have them? meat is going into the oven in few hours for about 9hrs or so. Got deer, moose, beef, pork and chicken.

Then the meat gets broken up, little bit more spices...then into a pie crust! more pics to follow!

Sbishop

Mooseherder

You lucky dawg. digin_2
Are you at the Cabin?

sbishop

MH...how's it going?

Nope at home...next trip to cabin will probably at Christmas!!!

WDH

I am awaiting the results  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

We're waiting for your return trip.
That pie looks delish, and your cabin ain't bad either.
How's baby girl? :)

sbishop

MH, you know i will make an appearance when you least expect it!!!!
Wife wants to go to fld awful bad...keeps sending me airline specials...HAHAHA will be down there sometime  :)

Rayne has been doing great for the past year or so, her meds are working great. But (there is always a but eh) right now we are just waiting for the call for her to head to the children's hospital for surgery...2 things...her medical port is no longer working, it has a crack up by her neck so they are planning on removing it as she as grown now that it is easier to get an IV in. Second she needs to have her tonsils removed...not a big deal...except with her condition and risk of infection..it is an elevated risk...haven't heard if they can perform both surgeries at once...not sure how many days we need to be there before and after....unknown right now.....but she's a busy bee and a trooper!!!!

Al_Smith

Meat pies in varied forms were a part of my diet as I was growing up .My mother was a  farm girl and my fathers mother was German so it just kind of came with the territory .

One variation was English steak and kidney pie which to many would not sound appetizing at all .  .The secret is you have to literially boil the pizz out of them first .It really is quite tastey .I haven't eaten meat pie in decades though .

sbishop

Here is the finish product.... mmm..mmmmm   8)

Sbishop

Norm

Wow those look delicious!

Very nicely done crust too.  :)

sbishop

Norm, thanks..i'll take all the credit....  no_no

The misses will have to take all the credit on this batch!!!!  8)

WildDog

Great looking pies, classy finish on the pastry. I havn't tried a mix of all those meats in a pie before, sounds good. I will have to remember it when winter comes and Nicky starts making pies again.

Australians eat a lot of pies, my town is only small with a main street and we have 3 pie shops. There was a TV add in the 70's that had a hit jingle, "Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Holden Cars"
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SwampDonkey

That's interesting meat pie. Nice touch on the crust with the little stars, classy. ;D In these parts it's minced meat pie from the neck of deer or moose roast ground up with fruit and spices..mm. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Well yeah you have mince meat too but it really isn't quite the same as meat pie .Although quite frankly I've never had it made from moose simpley due to the fact we are mooseless in these parts .Mice we got mooses we don't .

I am however a member of the moose club if that accounts for anything .

SwampDonkey

Shepherd's pie or chicken pot pie is about the only "meat" pie I'm used to. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodsteach

Man those sure look good.  So you cook the first pix for 9 hrs or so?  Then add that to the pie crust and bake?  Any more directions as I'd like to give it a try with our next deer.

Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

sbishop

yes, cook your meat for 9hrs at 225...with whatever spices you want...

then breakdown all the meat...back into a pot with onions or whatever you like....then into a pie crust...

eat it warm or cold...with gravy or catsup...or not!  ;D

Stephen1

Hey steve, those look real good, good enough to eat. i'm at the cabin now, was cutting down some christmas trees today. eating beans for dinner though.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Al_Smith

There's probabley more variations to "meat " pies than you can shake a stick at .Just shepards pie alone probabley has a dozen .

You've got the kind that actually looks like a pie .Several which are slowed baked in a casseroll dish or Dutch oven in the oven with a biscuit  type crust and a zillon others .Most of them are good to eat so I guess that's all that counts .

Meat pie aside I'd certainly like to know who ever named pizza a pie ? There's nothing in a pizza that remotely resembles a pie other than some are round .What tomato sauce  ,some cheese , pepperoni sausage and they call that a pie ? Nonsense .

SwampDonkey

I don't think of pizza as pie either. I always thought of them as a bread dish. ;D

beenthere

Pizza is pizza, not sure what pizza pie is.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Wilddog,

I had some awesome meat pies in Tumut, New South Wales  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

Quote from: beenthere on December 01, 2012, 07:57:29 PM
Pizza is pizza, not sure what pizza pie is.  ::)
Well God fathers for example --pizza pie piled high ---With what more crust and tomato sauce for heavens sake ? Lawdy you about need a bib to eat the stuff already without putting more sloppy tomato sauce all over it .--mumble grumble ---Put it in a bowl maybe and eat it with a spoon .

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on December 01, 2012, 08:47:44 PM
Wilddog,

I had some awesome meat pies in Tumut, New South Wales  8).

And I had awesome Aussie meat pies from Cobram to Mt. Gambier-- of all the things I miss about Austraila, the meat pies are probably #1! Australians might think it's funny, but the meat pies are the ultimate Aussie cuisine in my book.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WildDog

Quote.Just shepards pie alone probabley has a dozen

Al my MIL makes her's with the left over baked leg of lamb, at 1st I thought turning good roast lamb into shepherds pie was sacrareligious, but after tasting the pie I changed my thinking. :) I usually use the left over roast for battered meat fritters or lunch meat.

QuoteAustralians might think it's funny, but the meat pies are the ultimate Aussie cuisine in my book.

The most memorable meal I had was in Tasmania, my secondf born was due and I was working hard to convert a hayshed into some sort of habitation on our new farm, I pushed myself for 36 hrs without sleeping or eating and then got the call "my waters have broken"  :o I had a 4hr drive to the hospital, on the way I bought and ate 6 hot meat pies on the way, the baker had one the country's pie award and they were delicous :)

I had some awesome meat pies in Tumut, New South Wales 

My mum grew up in Tumut untill the government built the Blowering Dam and flooded the family farm.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 01, 2012, 09:46:19 PM
Well God fathers for example --pizza pie piled high ---With what more crust and tomato sauce for heavens sake

Mom's uncle wouldn't touch pizza. One time it was made by the kids, and his taste tester was the dog. The dog wouldn't eat it. So he declared if a dog won't eat it, it's not fit to eat. :D :D

My grandfather on the other hand wanted home made pizza every Sunday evening. Loved it. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!