iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Met a real nice guy today

Started by muddawg, November 30, 2012, 08:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddawg

I introduced myself in another thread but as I am thinking real seriously about buying a mill within the next few months I want to relay a little happening to me today.
I was heading up to the scrap yard 2 towns north and as I entered the first town I noticed a mill set up inside a barn.I said to myself to stop in there on the way home.An hour later I am getting out of the truck at this mill site and I met a really nice gentleman by the name of Walter.I asked if the mill was his and if so if I might be allowed to look at it.Walter stops what he was doing and proceeded to show me EVERYTHING about his homemade band mill.I mean everything.I asked questions,he answered them.I had technical questions.He answered them.Showed what,why and howcome.
He has been building this thing for 2 years.He showed me some walnut that he milled when he test drove it the other day. Very nice stuff.He was very informative and willing to share his knowledge with a total stranger.I asked if he would mind if I were to stop in and watch sometime when he was working it."Anytime" he said.
I informed him of this forum and he said he knew it well.So Walter,if you read this thank you sir.I will be seeing you.
It is not often I meet just plain nice folk.
Native Son of the State of Jefferson

Ga Mtn Man

What a great story.  Thanks for sharing it.

Walter, you out there? :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

WDH

There are some giving and kind people left in the world.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Walter, you're the man! :)
Good folks is good to know.

Chuck White

That's exactly how a lot of good friendships start!

Walter must be full of pride when it comes to the sawmill he built!

Muddawg, he must have really enjoyed you stopping in too!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I missed your intro over on the Logging Board, so Welcome to the Forestry Forum,    muddawg.

Keep us up to date with Walter, but also with your sawmill buying and sawing plans.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

slider

Muddawg ,when you go back ,show walter how to post pictures.And tell him ,we are waiting.
al glenn

muddawg

Thanks for the welcome.I will ask if he will let me put a few pictures up.He built it nice.

thecfarm

muddawg,welcome to the forum. I stopped at a few places when I was going to spend some money too. I myself would have a hard time building a mill and having it saw straight without redoing 6-7 times.  :D Sounds like a real nice guy. good luck on what ever you buy for a mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

muddawg

thecfarm,that is what I want to do is check out as much as I can before I pull the trigger.I have watched youtube videos and my Timberking info showed the other day.I watched the dvd as did my wife.She is really liking the idea.She says to me"Think of all you can build for me,deck,picket fence,privacy fence,chicken coop and anything else I can think of."Thats my woman.Always thinkin'.
Well I must go get ready to fire up the Husqvarna.Got fire wood to cut.See ya'l later.

thecfarm

I have no idea what is in your area for logging shows and Fairs. There is one coming to Maine in May. Lots and lots of sawmills and logging stuff to see in action there. By the way,sounds like my wife.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

paul case

muddawg,
Welcome to the Forum.
What town are you closest to?

I am not far from SWMo, across the road in fact.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

tjhammer

welcome muddawg
all I can say your lucky to have such an understanding wife,my wife on the other hand,how much did that thing cost,where are you going to keep it,what are you going to do with all that extra wood left over and so on so fourth and ect,she is really a good sport about things she does not understand you know chinese are like that,when I built my saw I had the garage full for over a year,now I have a shop in the middle of 13 acs no bother to her oh ya muddawg what side of that masion dixon line do you live
tj
hammer

muddawg

Good grief am I sore.I just cut a cord of and split it all up.It did not used to be like this.I dont think I am liking this gettin old stuff.My mind and heart says I can.My back says whoa there big boy.
I live on the north side of the line in a little town called Seligman.It is about 20 miles NE of Rogers Ar.
Quiet little town with out stop lights.
My info packet from Norwood showed up today.I fired up the dvd they sent.Rather impressive.I like some of the features that come standard with them.I have it paused right now.The wife interrupted my quest for knowledge.

Thank You Sponsors!