iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pecan

Started by Sixacresand, November 29, 2012, 11:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

I got several straight logs 4 to 6 feet from pecan limb that broke off a very old tree.  Also got several crotches for my bowl turning kinfolks.  It still had pecans on it so hopefully it is still green enough to mill. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Okrafarmer

Hoo, boy, I would not even attempt to mill limbs of pecan devil-wood. That's masochistic.

On here, we have a fairly general consensus that Pecan = The Devil.

Limb wood from any kind of tree is almost always worse to mill than the main vertical trunk. Limbs have more internal stress and stuff in them normally. Pecan is a bad customer to begin with, and if you mill the limbs, it is going to turn into non-edible pretzels on you as it dries (and possibly before it dries!)

Just my three cents. (inflation)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I agree with Okra and add my two cents, so we are up to one "half dime."

Educational note: Prior to the development of the nickel, five cents was called a half-dime.  A true half-dime coin is quite valuable.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

thecfarm

Did some one mention pie!!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

I like a good pecan pie digin_2
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

paul case

Now before we go to splitting dimes and eating pie let me add

''Have fun, If you are going to try to dry pecan, use lots of stickers and weight the top of the stack, and post pictures of the results. You may find a nicely figured weird grain pattern in that limb that would make the nicest 3 legged milking stool ever seen. Why not saw it. Man, mill and ambition plus time. Go for it.''

Post pictures.

I like pie.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

thecfarm

Rocking chairs runners?? Arm rests? Build around the lumber.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

You know, he needs to do it. Everybody needs to do it once. I actually have a couple of very short limb logs Profdan brought me from a live oak down on the coast, and I will mill them, only because it's the only live oak I have available, just for the experience. Who knows how it will bow, but Paul and cfarm are right, you can do things with crooked wood.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

thecfarm

Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 30, 2012, 08:55:03 AM
you can do things with crooked wood.

Yea,like burn it. I just had to say it.  ;D

Sixacresand

I heard horror stories about pecan.  Can't resist giving it a shot.  The wood was free and the owner loaded it on my trailer.  I'll see what it does with the twists and worps.  BTW, my wife has a (new to her) recipe for pecan pie using buttermilk vs syrup.  I like buttermilk and pecans, so it has to be good. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

grweldon

I've milled Pecan limbs.  Pecan in general, as has been stated, is the  smiley_devil  !!!

I think you need to do it for the experience.  Much of it is very pretty.  I didn't have good luck with the standard 10 degree hook blades.  I bought some 4 degree, but haven't tried them out yet.  Obviously I'm not in that much hurry to mill more Pecan.  I know of at least 6 trees that have been on the ground since May... they are starting to look pretty bad, but again, I'm not in a hurry to get to them!

Good luck!

Oh yeah, I love pecan pie as well!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Sixacresand on November 30, 2012, 09:05:05 AM
BTW, my wife has a (new to her) recipe for pecan pie using buttermilk vs syrup.  I like buttermilk and pecans, so it has to be good. 
Oh, we would like the recipe! There is a thread about pecan pie over in the Food! Food! Food! section, so would you mind sharing it over there so everyone who's already thinking about pecan pie can see it and try it?  :)

Magicman

I have a silver three cent piece, so we can make change.

Since it sounds like you are doing it for yourself, have fun.  If I was sawing it for a customer, I would saw it and not even charge for doing it.  I refuse to saw junky lumber, so if I do it for free I didn't do it.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

Quote from: Magicman on November 30, 2012, 09:08:17 AM

so if I do it for free I didn't do it.   ;D

And according to unofficial Forum rules, if you didn't take pictures, it didn't happen.  Right?

Magicman

Quote from: Sixacresand on November 30, 2012, 09:14:17 AM
Quote from: Magicman on November 30, 2012, 09:08:17 AM

And according to unofficial Forum rules, if you didn't take pictures, it didn't happen.  Right?

OK I have my proof. 

Actually two proofs.  The small one on the left is 1858, and the large one on the right is 1866.   :)

Now, where is your "log"  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Now to make the correct change you need the correct coins.

1865 2 cent piece on the left and 1828 ½ cent piece on the right.

I am still waiting on your "log" picture..... ;D

LeeB

MM, I think he was refering to you sawing for free as compared to no pictures, meaning it didn't happen because no money changes hands. I don't think your coins were in doubt. Neat coins by the way.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Sixacresand

Pictures will be coming.  I meant if there is no photo of something milled for free.  Impressive coins, BTW.  I bet there is a story on how you acquired them.

Magicman

:D :D  I knew where you were coming from but the coin part was the only thing that I could picture quickly.   :)

Sixacresand

Gee, I guess i got to get up put my boots on and go take a picture of some pecan limbs.  Underwear and boots,  Hope the neighbors are at work today.

DDobbs

Now I am just a small timer an mill with a CMS. But about 6mos ago was given all of a 80ft pecan (yes wife was really happy when she got home an saw it in the yard)9 or 10
Dump trailer loads.......lol    But I saw mostly slab stuff table tops ,bowl blanks an such.
but this pecan has been a dream to saw.Maybe it was when it was taken down. It has been a verry dry time here.
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

Solomon

Hey now guys,  Peacan is fantastic wood.  Its great for cooking a hog and it splits easy, burns clean and leaves a very tiny bit of ashes behind.  Just dump all your pecan on my lot thank you very much!!!!
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

grweldon

I make small pieces from my offcuts and chips with my chipper to give to friends for smoking their meats.  Most people like it better than hickory... well, it is a hickory, but you get my point...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Magicman

Ah come on Glen, you are the king of sawing Pecan  smiley_devil limbs.    smiley_devilish smiley_devilish

WDH

Me and Customsawyer got serious about sawing some pecan  :).  These weren't limbs, neither  :-\.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!