iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Nice Cherry Log

Started by levans, November 29, 2012, 06:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

levans

A friend offered Me all the pine and cherry logs I wanted to cut from his property, this was the butt log from one of the cherry trees.
The log measured 22 inches at the small end and was eight feet long, it scaled 162 feet on the Doyle scale and after quarter sawing scaled out to 160 feet of lumber.
I have to say this was one of the finest logs I've ever sawed, not only was it fairly straight but it did not have a single knot in it, there were some imperfections in the very center as can be seen in the second photo but that was all. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That BIG Cherry makes me Drool a Pool. Geeee I wish we had Cherry like that down here.
Very nice Levans.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tree Feller

That's an awesome log and some awesome lumber...160 bft of QS Cherry...Wow!
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

123maxbars

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

levans

I wish I had a bunch more logs like that one, I haven't covered all the wooded area on his place yet so I may get some more yet.

beenthere

Nice log.
Ask him to make just one felling notch instead of two, and you will get some longer lumber. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Super nice log.  Most all Cherry logs/trees have a heart check.  I have no intentions of being critical but I would turn the log and open it so that the check would be horizontal when I sawed out the majority of the boards.  That would prevent the lumber from splitting with the heart check.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Skoalbandit78

WDH

Whoa!  Now that is what I call a friend  ;D.  That is some very valuable lumber.  Can I buy it?  ;)   Did you saw it all 6/4?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Very nice log, and nice lumber. Are you going to air dry it or kiln dry it?

So why does it have two felling notches-- did you have a hard time deciding which way to drop it?  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

drobertson

Levans, nicely done!  no doubt this size and straightness are a rare find,  you did good 8)
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Okrafarmer

And worth more than you paid for it, too!
8) 8) 8)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Dodgy Loner

That's a beauty! And quartersawn, to boot! I love quartersawn cherry :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Woodsrover

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 29, 2012, 06:28:12 PM
That BIG Cherry makes me Drool a Pool. Geeee I wish we had Cherry like that down here.
Very nice Levans.  smiley_thumbsup

I have tons of big cherry like that on my property.  I burn most of it for firewood!   :-\  I have a couple still standing that I want to drop and two beautiful ones that blew over last June and are still hung up in an oak.  I'll probably make lumber out of those but jeeze, I burn 6-cord a year and I bet close to half of it is cherry.

dboyt

Quote from: Woodsrover on November 30, 2012, 12:00:51 PM
I have tons of big cherry like that on my property.  I burn most of it for firewood!   :-\  I have a couple still standing that I want to drop and two beautiful ones that blew over last June and are still hung up in an oak.  I'll probably make lumber out of those but jeeze, I burn 6-cord a year and I bet close to half of it is cherry.

Bring anything more than 12" diameter and 4' long to me in southwest MO, and I'll load you up with twice as much seasoned oak.  I've always got customers for cherry, especially the odd-shaped stuff like crotches and burls.  To give you an idea, I had to rent a bobcat to get this piece of cherry out of a ditch.  A little lumber from the stem, and turning stock from the root... can't beat it.

[/img]
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

levans

It's only one felling notch , I notched it on one side and then cut it at an angle on the other because I wasn't sure it would fall the right way, if it started to come back the angle cut would help stop it and give Me time to get some felling wedges in. It was a big tree and I didn't want to have to clean up the brush from his hay field.
WDH,
I cut it all to 4/4 heavy thinking it might be cabinets some day but it could be for sale and I might even deliver it. I have some land over near Oglethorpe, Macon County, and My son lives near by so I could have a reason to come that way.

Woodsrover

Quote from: dboyt on November 30, 2012, 12:19:43 PM

Bring anything more than 12" diameter and 4' long to me in southwest MO, and I'll load you up with twice as much seasoned oak.

Here's a nice cherry I cut for my neighbor.

levans

Woodsrover,
That's a nice log, not much sap wood, ours up here tend to have a lot of sap wood

Solomon

Let me get this straight....  You have a mill and you burn cherry ???
Somebody get a rope.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Magicman

Quote from: levans on November 30, 2012, 12:36:36 PMif it started to come back the angle cut would help stop it and give Me time to get some felling wedges in. 

I would saw it straight and have the felling wedges in before it set back, to prevent it from setting back.  Afterwards could be too late.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

QuoteIt's only one felling notch , I notched it on one side and then cut it at an angle on the other because I wasn't sure it would fall the right way, if it started to come back the angle cut would help stop it and give Me time to get some felling wedges in.

I thought that might be what happened.  Proper way is to saw the backcut flat, not angled.
If anything, the angle cut with a wedge is less effective than a wedge in the flat cut kerf. The wedge in the flat kerf will lift the tree to tip it. And time it right, as MM suggests, before the kerf closes or gets a chance to close.

Give the angle backcut some more thought, and hope you will see the light. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

eastberkshirecustoms

Not to be critical, but I agree with what the others have said about your notch/back cut (it almost looks like how they used to fell trees with axes?). IMO very unsafe and a waste of wood. I switched to using the Humbolt notch a few years ago, though the technique does take a little getting used to.
BTW, very nice log and lumber! Be safe.

WDH

Woodsrover,

That cherry is curly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That is a high dollar log  8).  Whew!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mikeb1079

QuoteI burn 6-cord a year and I bet close to half of it is cherry.

that's a bad habit my friend,  i hope you can find the strength to quit.... :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

POSTON WIDEHEAD

QuoteI burn 6-cord a year and I bet close to half of it is cherry.

smiley_sick smiley_crying smiley_crying smiley_crying smiley_crying smiley_crying smiley_sick

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!