iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Hunting Story

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, November 29, 2012, 01:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I usually try and leave for deer camp the Wednesday night before gun season starts so I can do some bow hunting and maybe have some deer meat for the gun hunting crew when they start trickling in over the weekend.
This year I was unable to get away from work until Friday morning. As I was slowly making my way up the mile and a quarter old logging road that leads up to the cabin I had 5 deer cross in front of me and stand about 25 yards away on the passenger side of the truck. I shut the truck off, got out and was able to pull my bow case off of the back seat from under everything else, set it up on the ground take out bow and an arrow while the deer patiently waited for me! One was feeding it's way around the truck and when I could see it through the V notch between the cab and open door I touched off an arrow.
Now for those of you who don't bow hunt, when you launch an arrow you get to see it fly to the target. I saw my arrow fly and just before it got to the deer it flashed sideways and blew up! No I wasn't using exploding tips. I was using carbon fiber arrows and had hit a small Paw Paw tree in front of the deer. Needless to say, I did not get a second shot but I did have a good story to tell the guys And I got my broadhead back.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

clww

I've had similar things happen to me like that, more than once.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Autocar

The farmer where Iam logging at toward me today about a freind of his that has a cabin in a woods and five fellows stay there the whole week and hunt and just have a good time but Sunday night someone broke in and stole all there food,guns,hunting cloths and a generator. There pretty bummed out about it it's to bad theres folks out there like that.
Bill

Magicman

Oh no.  That is so dreadful to hear stuff like that.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Those paw paws can be like that  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

sorry to hear about the bow hunt, but what happened when the guns came out? there has to be a lil more to the story aye?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Cypressstump

after recieving a phone call from a neighbor near my property, I have a deer story, one not yet complete.

My neighbor said a hunter ( one I ran off my property last year) who was hunting on an adjacent property ajoining mine( legally), stopped by to tell neighbor that he had shot two deer this morning , one 5 point buck and one doe. Killed the buck, it was in his truck, but just wanted for neighbor to tell me the doe ran onto my property after it was shot, and he wasn't concerned to look for it, and then left !

I have called my game warden friend. That's wanton waste down here. I'm a bit peeved.
I'm going to look for a shot doe now.
Stump
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Weekend_Sawyer

Cypresstump, I am curious how this will turn out.

drobertson, we did ok. We had a heavy thinning done on our 110 acre hunting property and one of our adjoining neighbors did the same over the last 2 years. Another neighbor did a high grade logging, hers is one sad looking forest right now. This created a lot of stump sprouts and the deer that were taken had nicer racks, were nice and fat and overall seemed bigger. 3 years ago we had a harsh winter and the population died back some. I am betting we will see more deer in the next few years.

Jon

Cypressstump

Well, I was not able to get to my property unitl later in the evening. I spent 5 hours, located where the deer had initially been shot, not on the hunters permissible hunting property, he shot it across the adjoining property line. I tracked her through the swamp across my property, found where she had laid up 2 times. I only found faint traces of fatty tissue, no real blood to speak of. I believe she was shot high , either neck or in the back between the hindquarter and back of lung area. I don't think it was a fatal hit.

I did speak to my 'neighbor', the owner of the property the guy was hunting on with permission. There are new bright yellow 'posted' signs I put up along that property line. So the guy could clearly see the deer was beyond his side of the line. All in all , that does not bother me, as if I were there, I would have gladly helped the guy retrieve the deer regards where it ran to, IF, it were a killing shot. My problem is that the guy is taking potshots at animals with no regard for an ethical killing shot. I informed my neighbor that the guy did in fact come across the property line, I found evidence of that. Also told him, that was not the issue. I told the property owner to tell the hunter to call me instead of simply leaving a deer to rot. The owner knows of my run in with the guy last year and clearly heard the message I gave the tresspasser in front of the owner when I confronted them together.
I am friendly towards this neighbor , altho his lifestyle does not intice me to be buddy-buddy
with him, I am cordual to him and have helped him and family out during the hurricanes. We had a good conversation, I gave my cell number to pass on the his hunter, all is well for the time being. I also suggested his hunter go to the practice range, as this shot was maybe 45 yards.
My game warden buddy said with no evidence, there are no enforceable laws broken. The hunter has a record of some nature, as the warden knows some history on him.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

treefarmer87

i was hunting with my 45-70 sharps a few years back on a creek bottom. a small buck came across the creek and stopped about 50 yards, it was getting dark. i cocked the hammer and shot- i saw something white fly everywhere ??? and the deer was still standing ??? i walked towards him and and he ran off like nothing happened, then all of a sudden a 6''-8'' ironwood tree fell over between me and where he was standing :o :D
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Weekend_Sawyer

Treefarmer, I had a very similar thing happen when I was a teenager back in the 70's.
Shot at a deer with my 303 at about 40 yards. Was sure I got it even tho it just turned and loped off, standing there watching when a sapling in front of where it had been standing fell over. :D

treefarmer87

it wasnt too funny then, but i cant help but laugh now, at least it wasnt a monster buck :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!