iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Handling logs.

Started by Buddyw, November 28, 2012, 05:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddyw

I have been sitting around thinking . Now that I have got a sawmill , which is still not set up yet  :(! Dang shoulder  :'(!!! I am going to need something to handle the logs around the mill. I have been thinking about a knuckle crane maybe ? Truck mounted or traier mounted ? I was thinking I could use this to off load logs and swing around and also feed the mill. I just dont know !!!   What do yall use to handle logs ?? I am open for ideas !  Pictures of some equipment that yall use would be nice.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I use a 555C Backhoe with a 4 in 1 bucket. I also made a set of forks that I can attach just by driving up and hooking them on the bucket.

Magicman will probably post a pic of his backhoe. Mine is similar to his.

Here is a pic of my backhoe without the forks. Of course I did not need the forks to take these logs off, just a strap.....Gonna get me some tongs one day!  :)

4  13  25  46  55  PB 02
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

There is a loader for sale below:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ironwood

If you can, look in my gallery. A ton of pics with various methods.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SPD748

Buddy,

I'm in the same place as you. My mill is coming along so I'm starting to really think about log handling. Like David (PostonLT40HD) I have a backhoe that will handle logs on the ground. My issue is unloading semi sized log trailers. David, and others, have suggested that I build a pit or retaining wall to pull the trailers beside for unloading. The wall idea would work better in my situation. I've been looking at concrete 'bin blocks' for this purpose. They're 2' x 2' x 6' and weigh around 3000lbs. I could stack these two high then backfill with dirt/gravel for a four foot wall that a truck could pull right up next to for unloading. So far, I've been quoted a price of $60 each for the blocks.

If you're looking for a way to unload tractor trailers, this option may work. Good luck!

Oh, as stated many times on the forum before; the more you delve into milling lumber, the deeper you'll find yourself into log handling equipment :)

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Magicman

My old Oliver and "end tongs" does it one log at the time.  It works well to unload trailers with sides.

Yup, I did find the leak and aired that front tire up.  Valve core.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!