iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Cherry for House trim

Started by tomkat001, November 28, 2012, 04:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomkat001

I am thinking ahead for my new home in a couple years. I am thinking about sawing up a bunch of cherry to make into trim boards I will run thru my my molder.
My question is how thin can I saw the boards without having a lot of warping? I usually plane the boards to 5/8 inch before they go thru the molder.
Thanks
Boardwalk Jr. , JD 5075E with 553 loader, Stihl 290 Farm Boss,

VictorH

How thin you make the boards will have less affect than other factors such as - The logs you are cutting from, whether there is a lot of sweep in them or stress within them.  How well they are stickerd and how much weight is on the stack.  1/4 sawn would be more stable but you lose some wood in the process.  If the aim is to have 5/8 finished then 7/8 should work and 1" would give you plenty but will require more planing to get to the 5/8.

Victor

WDH

I would add 1/4" to the desired finished dimension when rough sawing.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The thinner you cut, the higher the yield, but the greater the risk of warp.  So, the target of 1.00" seems best.  As mentioned, log quality is important.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Jemclimber

I'm with victor and WDH. When I've made paneling, I cut it at 7/8 and had plenty to plane out a little cup down to 5/8.  That was with 10 and 12 inch wide boards.  Narrower trim boards at 7/8 should give you plenty of extra meat to make your pieces.
lt15

WDH

The good thing is that the planed trim does not to be absolutely flat like a table top because the thinness will allow for it to bend a little.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

There definatly is some merit to that because I'm not sure a house was ever built with perfectly straight walls and 90 degree corners .If so I've never seen any .

Thank You Sponsors!