iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

49" Willow Oak

Started by Dodgy Loner, November 28, 2012, 11:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

Red Clay Hound and his LT40 got a workout over the weekend. So did I. Even WDH came by to supervise the sawmilling! :)

My aunt had a big willow oak that had died beside her driveway. She wanted it down. We wanted the wood. All we had to do was cut it down and mill it. Easier said than done, though - this was a BIG oak. Not customsawyer big, but far bigger than anything I had felled. It measured 49" across at the stump. And I only had a 20" bar on my chainsaw. It took 1.5 hours of chainsawing and driving multitudes of wedges, but I finally got the tree on the ground. Exactly where I wanted it, no less! But that's when the real work began :D.

Starting the notch

Cleaning it up

I had to cut back the sides a good bit so my bar would reach the center

Boring through the trunk

On the ground! And just a tiny bit of pullout where my bar didn't cut all the way through the center.

I had to cut 6' off the butt to get a log that would fit on the mill. The sawlog ended up being 37" on the small end and 39" on the big end, and 10' long. Not much taper! I'll be back at my aunt's house over Christmas, and if I'm feeling froggy, I might try to quarter the butt log with a chainsaw and mill it as well.

We've got more pics of the sawmilling, but this is what I wanted from the log: a 24" wide, 4" thick slab. I'm going to use it as a workbench top. We ended up with about 550 board feet from this log. It could have been more, but the sapwood was completely rotted so we cut it all off. Had to bibby it down to something we could handle anyway.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Dodgy Loner

We even got a video of the tree falling!

Kinda long, but all the action is in the last 30 seconds. You might just want to fast-forward to the end.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

beenthere

Good pics of the felling procedure and how to use a 20" bar to cut a much larger diam. tree.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dodgy Loner

Thanks, beenthere! Can you guess where I learned those felling procedures? (hint: right here :D) Finally got a chance to put them to use!

sandhills

Nice job, I especially liked the "now clean it up" part at the end of the video  ;D.

Riggs

I liked the speedy retreat in the video.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: sandhills on November 28, 2012, 11:40:25 AM
Nice job, I especially liked the "now clean it up" part at the end of the video  ;D.

Yeah, that was my brother :D. Always good for ribbing you. He actually helped clean it up as much as anyone. We probably got 2 cords of firewood out of the branches.

A few more pictures of the sawing:

We couldn't have done it without the New Holland. We had two at our disposal and used them both!

Maxing out the mill!

Finally got it bibbyed down. Much smoother sailing once you get to this point.

We cut a few 2"x26" boards, a few 4" thick slabs, and the rest was random width 4/4 and 8/4.

Tree Feller

Nice log and great pics. Thanks
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Magicman

This project is a full meal deal.  Pictures, video, nice tractor, good log, Wood-Mizer, fine slabs, Father/Son project.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup  It just doesn't get much better than that.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

And its "Biggie" sized too! 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Red Clay Hound

Dodgy's wife would not watch the felling operation.  I think she thought the tree was going to fall on him and was afraid he didn't have enough life insurance! :o  However, he wouldn't let anyone else near the chainsaw, and since he is the professional forester I didn't want to show him up! :D :D
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

hackberry jake

All I can think is "That poor sawmill"  8).
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Red Clay Hound

Quote from: hackberry jake on November 28, 2012, 08:46:05 PM
All I can think is "That poor sawmill"  8).
The sawmill did fine, my back not so much!  It's amazing how much an 8/4x26"x10' red oak slab weighs, not to mention the 4" thick slabs! hurt_smiley  Thankfully, we had the tractor to help with moving those.

Seems I'm on a roll with the big logs lately - I quarter-sawed a 36"x12' white oak last week.  Just got a call last night from someone who has a 35' long white pine log that's 36" on the big end and 24" on the small end.  He plans to buck it into four logs.  That one will be a portable job 60 miles from home and his tractor is a 1974 Ford 2000 so I'm not sure how much help it will be in handling those logs! :o  I'm charging that one by the hour!
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Magicman

Wood-Mizers are log magnets.  They just keep attracting biguns. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tree Feller

That 20" bar on Dodgy's saw looks tiny against the tree. That was a good job falling that tree and a good demonstration of the bore cut. That little bit of wood it pulled was nothing.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

WDH

It was a thoroughly enjoyable enterprise.  Red Clay Hound even gave me two beams that I needed  8).  Here is Red Clay Hound Bibbying the log.

Here is the Master Faller, flush with success.

It truly was a family affair.  Dodgy, Nathan, and Red Clay Hound defy the laws of nature  :D.

Here is Mr. Willie, Casie, and Dodgy Loner, enjoying a beautiful November day in central Georgia.  It does not get much better than this  ;).

When y'all come back, maybe we can convince Jake to come over for lunch so that he can expertly split that big butt log  :D.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

Casie is impressed that you spelled her name right, Danny! ;D

I would be happy to crisp a chicken for Jake if he would come split that butt log after Christmas :). He still needs to show me the chain-sharpening tip that he showed Danny. And heck, I still have yet to enjoy the pleasure of Jake's company! I will definitely have to lure him over somehow...Grits, maybe?  ???

WDH

He is originally from Colorado, so grits won't work  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on November 28, 2012, 10:38:46 PM

A pair of skis, maybe? Just trying to help.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Red Clay Hound

Rocky mountain oysters? ;D

Meadows Miller

Gday

Looks like an Awesome day was had by All  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) Good Falling Dodgy  ;) ;D smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup (don't know if those two should go in the same comment though Mate  :) :D :D ) and I like building single piece top work benches too  ;) ;D

and you did a Top Job on the Sawin Hound  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

WDH

Quote from: Red Clay Hound on November 28, 2012, 11:49:51 PM
Rocky mountain oysters? ;D

That is sure to work  ;).  I heard he likes seafood  :D :D.

Leigh Family Farm

Nice work everyone! The thing I like most about this adventure, besides the sawmill, tractor, slabs, etc., is that this was the first 10 ft. section of the tree!  ;D ;D When you gonna saw the rest of the tree?
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Dodgy Loner

This is actually the second log- I cut 6' off the butt to get something the sawmill could handle. We also milled 3 small saw logs out of some of the more upright branches, but the rest is firewood! 

Oh, and Dad- we can do Rocky Mountain oysters if you want, but you're going to have to explain to Jody what happened to the bull :D

Red Clay Hound

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on November 29, 2012, 03:00:43 PM
Oh, and Dad- we can do Rocky Mountain oysters if you want, but you're going to have to explain to Jody what happened to the bull :D

Might be easier to explain to Jody than to the bull. ;D  How would mountain oysters go with grits? ???

Red Clay Hound

Quote from: Riggs on November 28, 2012, 11:52:35 AM
I liked the speedy retreat in the video.
They don't call him Dodgy for nothin'! :D :D

beenthere

Quotewhat happened to the bull

Hopefully da bull calf...... ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dodgy Loner

Nah, Jake will have a big appetite after splitting the log!

Lud

You need a bigger chainsaw!    Good job by all! :)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

WDH

You better be Dodgy if you mess with that bull  :D. 

(Seems like a plan is taking shape  ;D.  I will definitely be there to watch  ;).).

Dodgy Loner

Here we are planning out Jake's holiday without him. How rude. Where is he, anyway?

Danny since you will be there, we'll let you hold the bull, Dad can explain things to the bull (Dad has always been good at explaining things..."Because I said so!"), and Jake, being the guest of honor, can do the honors. I'll be off in the distance, being Dodgy ;D

Solomon

What are you going to build with all that Willow Oak?
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

WDH

He just hoards wood  :D :D.

Woodchuck53

Nice job. How long had it been dead? The slabs are heavy but worth it for work benches.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

slider

Your in luck Dodgey ,we are are in the cow business and I can cook up a me plate of oysters .
al glenn

customsawyer

I like grits, chicken, and them oysters. It would be my pleasure to bring my big saw over and let Dodgy use it. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

You can watch the proceedings with me  ;D.

hackberry jake

Quote from: WDH on November 30, 2012, 09:11:21 PM

Phew! I was starting to think I was weird!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Solomon on November 30, 2012, 01:54:32 PM
What are you going to build with all that Willow Oak?

Well, actually I'm just planning to use one of the 4" thick slabs and maybe some of the other 4" thick lumber to build a workbench. My brother has also claimed one of the slabs for a workbench top, but the rest will be mantles and dimensional lumber that Red Clay Hound will probably sell.

Quote from: hackberry jake on December 02, 2012, 09:29:20 PM
Quote from: WDH on November 30, 2012, 09:11:21 PM

Phew! I was starting to think I was weird!

Danny has nailed it. I have a strange disorder that causes me to use my worst lumber first so that I can hoard my best lumber with the intention of using it when my woodworking skills are at such a point as to finally do the wood justice. But I have been sawing lumber and working wood for 12 years and the trees keep coming and I still have a hard time using my best wood and I certainly don't have the nerve to sell it. It's a vicious cycle. :-\

But on the plus side, I have lots of nice wood to keep me company ;D ;D ;D

;)

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: customsawyer on December 01, 2012, 10:48:34 AM
I like grits, chicken, and them oysters. It would be my pleasure to bring my big saw over and let Dodgy use it. ;D

Whoohoo! It worked! 8)

We'll see if I can pick the saw up :D

Nomad

Danny has nailed it. I have a strange disorder that causes me to use my worst lumber first so that I can hoard my best lumber with the intention of using it when my woodworking skills are at such a point as to finally do the wood justice. But I have been sawing lumber and working wood for 12 years and the trees keep coming and I still have a hard time using my best wood and I certainly don't have the nerve to sell it. It's a vicious cycle. :-\

But on the plus side, I have lots of nice wood to keep me company ;D ;D ;D

;)
[/quote]

Huh.  I thought I was the only one who did that. 
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WDH

Now there are four of us.......... :)

Hackberry Jake
Dodgy Loner
Nomad
WDH

LeeB

Hi. My name is Lee and I'm a wood hoarder.
Five
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Woodchuck53

Nothing wrong with that. Just means we recognize quality when we see it.
Paging # 6
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Okrafarmer

I would be happy to help you feed your addiction!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

5quarter

Mrs. 5/4:   so what are you going to do with all this wood here? (gestures to a rack of pallet shelving filled with neatly stacked lumber)

Me:   uh...I dunno. use it for stuff I guess.

Mrs 5/4:   well I bet you could sell it in a heartbeat. ( pulls out QS quilted bur oak 1x10) see, you should sell this. you can always cut more.

Me:   (sliding board back in place and stepping between wife and lumber) This is not for sale, honey. It's mine. All of it's mine. I cut it. it's my...my precious.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

WDH

Most of my cherry and clear ERC are not for sale, either  ;D.

thecfarm

5quarter,I like that. I suppose when you said my precious,you meant your wife and not the lumber.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

5/4
I could see the wood watching you and sending its thoughts your way to keep it and not cut it up!  You must toss the wood to the saw to break its control!

You guys have too much skill to keep hoarding for that reason.  I think LeeB was heading in the right direction. It is an addiction you guys need to attend some WWA (Wood Workers Anonymous) meetings and start on a plan to help you with control.

LeeB

Maybe you don't understand. I don't want to reform.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

5quarter

Cfarm...

Um........sure. That's exactly what I meant.

;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Okrafarmer

I will be happy to help feed your addiction.

--My precious.

(need Gollum smiley)

Thank You Sponsors!