iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Powerball

Started by Riggs, November 28, 2012, 10:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riggs

With the powerball lottery up to around $500 million, I was just wondering how many here are playing?
I was the only person out of 30+ at my work that didn't go in on a pile of tickets yesterday, of course if one of them hits, I'll be the only one here tomorrow.  :D  I've got nothing against playing, just never liked throwing my dollars away. It is nice to spend it in my head though.

Any cool lottery stories here?
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Cypressstump

I will go put the 2 bucks on one.

I have two stories,

Once while on temp assignemnt in Az., I bought a ticket at a little store in a small town nearby while on my way to play a round of golf after work. Forgot about the thing, it was in my rental car.A few nights later the local news station said no winner had come forward, also said the same store sold the winning ticket...a few million. I start looking for my ticket to no avail. I went out to my rental  car to retrieve the ticket, doors locked... went looking for the keys to no avail..... keys were locked inside the dang car....great !  While I was trying to break into the car using coathangers, wedges and other unlikey measures, a neighbor came out and inquired... I let her know what was going on.. She said that she had heard thru the grapevine that the ticket was sold to a golfer...?????  8) 8) 8)  also said about the same time of which I was at the store... 8) 8) 8) I am thinking SURELY, all this trouble , I MUST have the winning ticket.. I then about tore the door off the hinges, only to find out I did not have a single number... :(

Once later, I had all 5 numbers on my ticket  1 number higher and the PB number was 1 number lower than the winning number...
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Bogue Chitto

gspren

If I win I'm putting brand new tires on the old Farmall! Maybe even new rims!  :D
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I missed winning once by only 5 numbers. And that's as close as I've came.  ::)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

OlJarhead

;D  I once had 5 of the 6 numbers on BC's Lotto649....

Only, it was one on this ticket, one on that ticket and so on.

I think I might have gotten two bucks out of the deal, or even 5 but it was kinda a fun.

For many many years now, however, I haven't played the lotto except once in a blue moon when it gets really high and then it's more for the entertainment value. 

Fun to dream but it seems reality is that I'm destined to work.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

DR Buck

I'm in.  When I win I'm going to change my name and move.  Might have to change my forum name as well.  ;)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

sandhills

Thought I might buy one, if I win maybe I could farm just one more year......

Al_Smith

I'm in twice .One for me one for Mrs. Smith. Odds aren't favorable but you never know .

I can't think of much off hand I really want at the moment except a brand new super duper LT 70 Wood mizer with all the bells and whistles and a new Bobcat skidloader with heat and air conditioning .After that I'll think of something after I get back from spending the winter in the Caribean .

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Well I broke down and bought a ticket for tonight. When I win, I will not forget about ya'll.

Red Oaks gets a BIG bag of grits
Jim gets a grease gun
Magic gets a new weed whacker
I will pay for the Wildlife Department to let out a trailer load of Big Bucks on Jeff's land
Okra will get a small truck load of Moxie
Danny gets a tractor trailer load of kiln dried Walnut and Cherry
Bibbyman gets a life time of Net Flicks
Raider Bill.....ANOTHER motorcycle
Lee gets a Nobel Prize for circular mill construction
Georgia Mountainman gets a BRAND NEW ORANGELT 40 Super HD
Joe and Tyler at WoodMizer Carolina gets an around the world cruise
Ms. Wendy, gets a new BMW
Everyone else I know......I will pay off their bills.  ::)

And me.....a stack of Kohler engines and a Dictionary.

This is a paid advertisement from POWERBALL inc. Any names used are for ad purposes only and not meant to be factual.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chris Burchfield

I'm in for 10 plus the power ball on each.  Bought a party bottle of Kentucky Tavern and waiting on 10 O'Clock to see which one is going to match!  I will remember all my brethren here on the Forestry Forum.  My lowest power ball number is three.  A billion and a half, I can work with.  I will remember the two women working in the station, in front of Walmart that sold me the tickets.  The crew working where I picked up my party bottle, and then, my wife who has tolerated me for all these years.  Anyone know of a nice island for sale?   Catch ya'll in the morning.   8) 8) party 8) 8) party 8) 8) party!
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Planman1954

My street of gold is coming! For now, I am SATISFIED with what I'm blessed with: A great wife, wonderful kids & grandkids, great family, a good job, and fun sawing all my projects! I'm happy, happy, happy!!!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

SPIKER

I tossed in my 2 bucks at work, so maybe I'll hit & share some, I think about 10 or 15 are in it...

mm
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

WH_Conley

The wife forgot to get my one ticket. Guess I will have to go to work in the morning. :'(
Bill

red oaks lumber

david
i really hope you don't win :D

if i win i'm sending majicman on an all expense trip fishing red horse suckers :) other eats that are supplied,grits and humble pie digin_2
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

easymoney

i will not win the lottery as i have never bought a lottery ticket. i do not like the odds.
also i have heard how winning big has ruined a lot of people.
a lot of them were worse off after a year or so after winning big.
i would not know how to handle several million dollars. that would take all the fun out of life not having to work for anything just being able to just write a check for anything you desire.

JohnM

Quote from: easymoney on November 28, 2012, 08:49:31 PM
i will not win the lottery as i have never bought a lottery ticket. i do not like the odds.
also i have heard how winning big has ruined a lot of people.
a lot of them were worse off after a year or so after winning big.
i would not know how to handle several million dollars. that would take all the fun out of life not having to work for anything just being able to just write a check for anything you desire.

^written by someone that goes by 'easymoney' :D  Poston, look up 'irony' in your new dictionary tomorrow. ;)

btw meant to pick up a ticket but forgot...I want to hold out for a cool BILLION anyway. 8)

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

terry f

Wife bought one, I'm in.

thecfarm

I'm in. But I might just as well take the $2 and throw it out the window driving down the road. Someone would get more of a thrill finding $2. They ask if I want the option. No,I just want to lose $2.   ;D  But I do know,IF I did win I would take it as a lump sum. No way would I trust the state to give me $300,000 for 30 years. With my luck the state would take some of my money to balance the budget and never repay me.
No more farming for me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

In thirty years I'll likely be strapped in a wheelchair slobbering on my bib why bother? :D Seriously, 500 mil is too much for me to comprehend even after the gubermint took their chunk. Our big one is Lotto Max with a grand prize of 50 mil tax free. The gubermint would love to change that but so far no one has had the cojones to try it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Cedarman

If one billion was spent on this lottery, the gov (winner) gets 806 million.  The loser gets 196 million.
I would buy timberland and hire consultants to manage it.  That would use up the money quick.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Chris Burchfield

Well, here it is morning and I did not have the winning lotto ticket.  But, I still remember my brethren here on the Forum this morning.  Told ya'll.  I'm still blessed even without all those monies.  Made some kicker meatball subs last night (first time) on garlic buttered and toasted hoggie rolls, fresh marinara and lots of mozzarella cheese.  It was still a good party.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

clww

My wife and several of her coworkers won a total of $8. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Riggs

No winners at my work....
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Cedarman

Anyone heard from Bibbyman?  Mo had a winner.

Magicman

That was also my first thought.  The winner has not been heard from, and neither has Bibby.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

"take the money and run" sound familiar?  :D :D  Yesterday at 4:30 my wife calls from work to ask if I can come and change her flat tire, she's 45 minutes away and we still had 2 hours of cattle to sell yet but she had a class after work that lasted until 9:30 so all worked out, then she got out of class and backed into a car, about $1000 worth of damage, I wasn't too worried about our luck winning. :-\

Magicman

At least you won't have to pinch yourself to see of you are still awake.  Life happens.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cypressstump

Welp,, I here to say I HIT the Powerball !

The only number I hit on my ticket was the PB number, 6.............. ::)
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Riggs

Norwood ML 26

chevytaHOE5674

Still no word from Bibby...... hmmm

beenthere

He's about 200 mile from the place that sold the ticket. Do ya think?  Maybe on one of his long drives....

Would be great for Bibby
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

The last we heard Mary was making a delivery of Sycamore.  move_it  Maybe she just kept on going.   

thecfarm

and going and going and going............ That would be something. 8)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

muddstopper

I figure if I ever hit the lottery, my wife will take the money and leave. I try and buy at least one ticket a week. Who knows, maybe i will get lucky.

Cypressstump

Quote from: muddstopper on November 30, 2012, 11:34:37 AM
I figure if I ever hit the lottery, my wife will take the money and leave. I try and buy at least one ticket a week. Who knows, maybe i will get lucky.

That reminds me of when i heard a woman came home all exicted and told her hubby, " hey pack your clothes" ,,, he asks" why honey we going on a trip? " she says." no we to it , just you, get the heck outta here, I won the lottery !"
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

WDH

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 28, 2012, 06:18:32 PM
Danny gets a tractor trailer load of kiln dried Walnut and Cherry

I need you to get out there and buy a whack of tickets..................NOW!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red

No one won last night's Powerball so now it is $1 Billion 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

sawguy21

:o How much is that? Geesh!!

Old Greenhorn

GEEZ! That's got be worth  what... Almost a million bucks!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Nebraska

In 2018 dollars.....  ::)

thecfarm

Well since I did not win, I won't be able to tell the guy that fills up my truck to keep the change.  ;D

alan gage

I haven't bought a ticket in years but I sold about $50 worth of junk this morning so I bought 10 tickets.

I find it impossible not to daydream about what I'd do with the money even though I know the chances of winning are infinitesimal. That alone is worth $20 now and again. 

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

B.C.C. Lapp

You guys know that a logger won big in the power ball once before.  
The reporter that interviewed him ask if winning the millions would change his lifestyle.
The logger said, "No. No I'll probably just keep logging till the money is gone." 8) :D
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Bradm

So, uh, who's willing to go out and buy me a few tickets for the next draw?  And, um, do you mind spotting me the cash for it?  I'm good for it; I swear. smiley_devilish

thecfarm

Sure, I will keep the tickets until they draw the numbers.  :D 
Then after the draw you can pay me.  ;)

Al_Smith

I've got a lot of vices but gambling is not one of them .I suppose the stock market might be considered a vice but it has  been real kind to me .The  chances of even getting a few numbers right is less than getting struck by a lightning bolt .

TN King

Every person gambles every day regardless of choice.
If you aren't in it you won't win it. 
2 bucks at a chance. No brainer.
Timberking 2020 - Mahindra 3550PST - Titan implements -
1840's two story log home - 50x60 log pole barn with 6 stalls - Trout pond - Hardwood timber stands - fruit trees - natural springs and lots of wildlife.

gspren

Quote from: gspren on November 28, 2012, 01:15:04 PM
 If I win I'm putting brand new tires on the old Farmall! Maybe even new rims!  :D
I looked at my post from 2012 and I no longer have that Farmall so I guess now I'd just fill up all the gas tanks with Premium!

snobdds

I had a statistics class in college where the professor went all class on showing how stupid it is to play the lottery. 

At the end he pulled out a ticket that won his wife 1 million dollars. 

He told the class he was glad his wife never listened to him.   :D

I look at like a risk to reward ratio.  I will risk 10 to win a billion.  It's a no brainer. 

Old Greenhorn

My Pop used to say that the lottery was a tax on people who were bad at math. :D
 I have been known to buy a ticket here and there. Mostly when I was depressed about how life was going. It's been a long time though. I still get depressed, but now I buy tools to cheer me up. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

At least with buying tools you have something to show for it. I have only won $500 in all the years of playing the lottery.   ::)  :(

Cedarman

My daughter got up and went to work this morning.  You know what that means?  I get to keep working too.  She said she would give me a million.

Peter Drouin

It would be fun, pay everyone's town taxes for a year or 2
All the food pantries would never be empty 50 miles from me. Hire the town contractors to fix the old peoples homes.
Pay off the town's bond for the new town hall.
Get new fire trucks.
And think of a nice HOT ROD shop. 8)
Not to say this one is bad. ;D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Resonator

QuoteThe logger said, "No. No I'll probably just keep logging till the money is gone."
I heard it as what a truck driver would say if he won. 

That and they asked: "You're paid a dollar a log to haul logs, and it costs you a dollar log to haul, what will you do to make a profit?"
Answer: "Get a bigger truck." ;D

QuoteMy Pop used to say that the lottery was a tax on people who were bad at math.
Dave Ramsey said it's a stupid tax. ;D

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

gspren

We have 2 numbers for tonight so a whole $4., worth it for the stimulating talks. We've got this new house in PA the way we want it so don't need a new house here but maybe a lawn service and cleaning lady. Might want a different house in DE so I'd have a bigger garage down there.

thecfarm

Missed that drawing.
I saved $2.  :D

gspren

We hit the Powerball! $4.00! Depending on where we went I could buy a whole gallon of gas!

red

No Winner last night  :)

aigheadish

I'm one of the ones who'll throw 20 bucks on the pile, but only when the odds are more not in my favor (meaning the pot is up over 500 million). I don't think I've ever hit 2 numbers on the same ticket. I'm not very lucky in that kind of way.

Just a heads up. I had a few tickets folded up in my wallet from a couple months back, I went to check on the numbers to see if I'd hit anything and the tickets had glued themselves together. Thusly, I threw away probably 10 bucks worth of tickets because I couldn't peel them apart without ripping them to pieces and not seeing what the numbers were. I'd suggest storing them flat and maybe not even close to each other. 

I'll play again for the next drawing, if I remember. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

red

Again no winner last night it is now up to $1.9 Billion 

sawguy21

How much is that? :o Even after taxes it is more than most of us could possibly spend!

Ron Wenrich

You just buy bigger toys.  Look at Elon Musk. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Resonator

Money's just green paper. 
Yes it can buy a boat, buy a truck to pull it, and a Yeti 110 ice down with some silver bullets. 
But it can't buy happiness. 70% of all lottery winners go broke-bankrupt in 3 to 5 years.
If you got a roof over your head, food on your plate, and someone who calls you honey, baby, momma, daddy, Paw- paw, Mee-maw, etc., you are RICH.
(Just my 2 cents, cause that's all I got). ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

TN King

2 bucks for a shot. What's the beef.
Timberking 2020 - Mahindra 3550PST - Titan implements -
1840's two story log home - 50x60 log pole barn with 6 stalls - Trout pond - Hardwood timber stands - fruit trees - natural springs and lots of wildlife.

alan gage

Quote from: Resonator on November 06, 2022, 12:00:10 PMBut it can't buy happiness.

I know that's what everyone says but I'd still like to give it a try. :)

Actually I'm quite happy without being rich but my lottery dream is to buy nice pieces of land in all the places I like to visit (Northern Canada, SE Arizona, and somewhere in the PNW and spend my time working on the properties and building a small house on each one. I'd do all the construction work myself and would saw out the lumber too. I would very much enjoy my new WoodMizer, skid loader, excavator, telehandler, and boom lift while doing it. 

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Hilltop366

Alan you might as well get three of each piece of equipment to save you from moving them around.

Wlmedley

I've never bought a ticket.To tell the truth I'm afraid I might win.I've always kind of enjoyed trying to survive with what I have.I think they should break it up and have a bunch of small winners but I guess that the big payout sells a lot more tickets.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

petefrom bearswamp

Nail on the head Resonator!!
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

red

Powerball is $725 Million for tomorrow

thecfarm

If the winning ticket is drawn at Riverside Quickstop in Jay ME that will be me.  :D

PoginyHill

If you win, my condolences.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

red

No Winner last night 

It's up to $875 million for Saturday nights drawing 

Magicman

I am 100% guaranteed that I will win $0.00.  8)

thecfarm

I did win $35 a week ago.  :o
Then one week I won $16. 
Week before that $6.
I was on a roll!!!
Then the ball went flat.  ;D
As I say, it's easy to win $20. All that I have to do is spend $60.
Oh yea, when I do win, I only spend $6 and take the rest in cash. That's my weekly lottery spending.

red

$820 Million . . Mega Millions Lottery tonight 
$2 and a Dream 

red

No Winner now $910 million for Friday night 

red

No Winner last night now One Billion Dollars 

thecfarm

I see the lines on the news waiting to buy tickets. 
Never see a line here in my part of Maine.  ;D

DR Buck

I WON,  I WON    ........ $4

and it only cost me $20 to do that. 
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

rusticretreater

I played the VA lottery years ago before powerball and mega millions came on the scene and you won if you got 5 numbers correct and the max numbers were lower.  Being a computer guy, I made charts of numbers and percentages. It wasn't hard to get two numbers, and I got a few with three numbers(free ticket).  Then one time I hit four numbers for $50.  My records said I was down $7 so I quit.

I have bought a few tickets(probably about $100) worth of Powerball and MegaMillions over the years when the jackpots got big and won nary a thing.  I have passed on the latest big'uns.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

red

Powerball is up to $760 million that's a lot of money for one sawmill . . so I think I'll buy two Sawmills

Brad_bb

In IL where I lived all my life until now, gambling was really taboo growing up.  But once the ruling politicians had gone through all other sources of funds as they were killing the people with taxes corruption, they decided to legalize River boat gambling.  It was "only" going to be allowed on river boats and they had to be underway, no gambling while docked.  That quickly changed to they no longer had to be underway, but had to be on the boats but could be docked.  They no longer had to move.  They the politicians were soon outspending/wasting that money.  Then they started allowing land based casinos/OTB.  Now they allow slot machines/video gaming anywhere.  Gas stations, restaurants, bars, the laundrymat, the grocery store.  Man you know how far a state has fallen when the slots are everywhere, with the tacky flashing LED's in the windows.  What is even worse is that there are enough stupid people throwing thier money away into them to support them.  Next will be all drugs legal and prostitution legal and TAXED!

I don't play Powerball/lottery, I don't gamble at all.  Gambling is a tax on the stupid and the people that can least afford to gamble.  Going into it, you know the odds are all in the house/governments favor.  "The only winning move it not to play."
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

aigheadish

I only play the lottery when the odds are even less in my favor- meaning once the prize is over $500 million. I played yesterday and just saw that the 5 tickets I bought, equaling 30 numbers, I didn't have a single number match. I figure I must be an eventual winner because I rarely match any numbers at all.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

GAB

Brad:
FYI the lottery is a volentary tax!
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

red

I believe there should be 760 people winning $1 million to spread it around some more

Magicman

The only sure thing about me winning is that I will never win.   ;D

Cedarman

It is a voluntary tax, but it increases the taxes on those of us that don't play much to subsidize the poor people that play and need more welfare so they have more money to play the lottery.

sawguy21

If I'm in a playful mood I'll drop a ten on a lottery ticket just for grins and giggles but I would rather have my limited cash in my pocket. It is fun to dream though and the drug store clerk is a sweetheart. ;D

firefighter ontheside

Like Lynn, I will never win.  I have never bought a ticket and won't.  More power to those who buy them.  There is a chance of winning. 
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

customsawyer

The few around here that have won a few million or so always seem to end up in bankruptcy within a few years. I've heard it's a high percentage of the winners end up that way but have never checked into it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

B.C.C. Lapp

I'm not a gambler.  Just not my thing an I don't believe in it. I don't think gamboling ever made life better for many people.  Ive never been in a casino or Los vagus so Ive no idea what that's like.   I can say there is one thing I've noticed AROUND HERE. I'm not claiming Ive seen this every where cause I haven't been everywhere or that it means everybody.  But the folks I see in the stores and what not around here playing the lottery and scratch tickets and those machines the state calls "PA Skills Games" as if it took skill to play them, these people are mostly the people that can least afford to lose the money.   They mostly look pretty poor to me.  And I don't think a great many of them are educated well enough to understand how steep the odds are against them.   This is my opinion from what i have seen.   
I told my children not to gamble and they don't.  I'll teach my grandchildren the same. 
I admit that a grown up spending money that they can afford to lose on a ticket to win maybe millions seems harmless enough. and maybe for that guy it is.  But for a great many its far from harmless.   
Better to earn it then win it.   Just my two cents.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Brad_bb

Is it any surprise that so many on here believe gambling is stupid and a waste of money?  Imagine that, guys that do WORK as a hobby (or business), understand that WORK is how you get money.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Southside

I honestly don't think I have ever purchased a lottery ticket of any kind.  If I did win a big jackpot knowing myself I would buy a stupid amount of land which would end up causing me to work longer days than I do already.  I don't need help from anyone to buy another job. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

If you are like most folks that play, and spend ~$10 on a ticket from your weekly pocket money, then it's a cheap distraction. We might buy a $5 or $10 scratch card to throw in a birthday card, that sort of thing. It's a bit of fun. We KNOW the overall money paid out from any form of gambling is less than money spent, because expenses / tax / charity donations.

Unfortunately some peoples personality makes them susceptible to becoming addicted, and spending more than they should, or can even afford. They are certain that they going to win big next week, for "reasons".
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

peakbagger

It all comes down to addictive personalities, casinos, strip clubs, cigarette companies, state lotteries, bars and drug dealers all know that there is small percentage of folks that supply most of the revenue, get them hooked and they pay the bills. Make it easy or socially acceptable to get newbys in the door and they will quickly sort themselves out. Educated folks have a higher potential of figuring it out but even some succumb to it. For most its a harmless release.

My dad was an accountant and shrewd investor yet when the state came out with scratch tickets, he would buy a couple at lunch. He worked a sit down job at a desk 8 hours a day and he would walk to the store a few blocks away at lunch and buy a couple as an excuse to get out of the office. The state had a promotion that if someone sent in their loosing tickets, they would have a drawing with a prize. Most folks do not do it but he did. One day he gets a call that he won a prize in the second chance lottery but they wouldnt tell him how much. They asked him to go to event to pick up the ticket. He walked in they led him backstage, checked his ID and called his name to get his check. He walked on stage and they had a very large check about 4' long with his name on it for $50,000. This was 40 years ago. BTW after the presentation he had to fill out a few more forms and got the actual check for $40K. The government keeps 20% of major winnings so the winner has something to pay the taxes if they blow it. Taxes ate up a bunch of it. It didnt change his life much, he took an extra long vacation or two that were already planned and he invested the rest of it.

I rarely buy tickets but when I was working at various job sites with different clients and consultants, there was always some downtime and its normal to socialize, if a big prize was coming up, I would pickup a couple tickets just so that I was "one of the boys" the same thing I learned to feign interest in the local sports teams. I have had a few jobs at or near casinos and have not yet spent a dime.

red

The Powerball is now $810 million tickets are $2 the local news say there is already a line at the Liquor Store for the 181 million people who buy tickets

red

Tomorrow night's Powerball is only $400 million so that's not enough to buy a $2 ticket
But tonight's Mega Millions is $550 million and I think that is worth a $2 ticket

Nebraska

A lottery day late and a dollar short story. 

Last year power ball was up around 7 or 8 hundred million, I stopped at the local convince store to fill up and decided to buy a ticket.  There was a truck parked at the diesel island and I saw the trucker walk over to his truck. So I walked in bought my ticket and a cup of iced tea from a young man I know running the register. Gave him a hard time about selling me a good ticket because he always sells me losers and went on my way.  Next drawing we had a million dollar winning ticket announced on the news. It was sold in town. Rumors started going around and that someone in the vet clinic had bought  that ticket.  I hoped for a day or two then I went in and checked my ticket and nope. I bought the next ticket after the truck driver that won the million.  Nine minutes too late.  ffwave  It's just as well I probably would have blown some of it on a frivolous new sawmill with full hydraulics, a drag back and  computer set works. 
I buy 1 or two tickets when it gets high just because it's fun day dream.

Doubt I will ever be that close again.  🙂

Thank You Sponsors!