iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my dream Shop

Started by Geeg, November 28, 2012, 07:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geeg

Managed to get some more shots of the shop construction.

Sheeting the roof

Shot of the front side

Shot of the rear

Shot of the rear again with the 2" amvic insulation.

Foam installation

Framing the interior walls, office, washroom and finishing room.

Foam insulation completed, next the strapping and the shingles go on tomorrow.
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Geeg

The shingles went up over the last couple of days. The exterior Insulation has been completed and they will seal all joints and then install tyvek over the entire structure and will strap the walls for the exterior siding. The misses and me decided since this will be the lumberjack shack, we should make it look like one so we plan on using red pine live edge for the siding and vertical board and batten for the gable ends, the question is I wonder if I need to dry the siding before I put it up or just install wet?

Live edge siding we plan on using.
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Brian_Weekley

For a minute, I thought you had just put tin over your shingles.  I was thinking that guy must wear belts with his suspenders.   :D
e aho laula

Satamax

Quote from: Brian_Weekley on August 23, 2013, 05:34:23 AM
For a minute, I thought you had just put tin over your shingles.  I was thinking that guy must wear belts with his suspenders.   :D

That's a funny expression.

I speak UK english and suspenders are not braces :D  And i pictured that in my head  :D

Tho, in uk, wearing belt and braces, or just "belt and braces" is making sure something is safe or right. like putting four nails in a piece of wood when only one would have been enough. That's belt and braces. Sometimes used for someone very cautious, "he's wearing belt and braces" meaning he's so cautious, that he made sure his trousers won't fall.  Never heard that for describing someone crazy.

edit: Oops, my bad, i miss understood what you meant. Anyway, i live it as it is. Just to imagine someone holding his suspenders with a belt made me laugh.

edit number 2: Where i live about 5000', there's a few houses which have shingles over tin, for looks. A real pain to work on it, like changing skylights and such.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Geeg

Well its been awhile since I have posted. I finally got some time off to head back home and work a little on the house and the shop. I picked up a new tractor and dug out a 200' trench from the house to the shop to run water and power. I had some time over the winter to work on my TF plans for the addition of the sun room, mud room and screened in porch. I am planing on milling some red pines for timbers and should start on that in the spring when I get my new sawmill. I am hoping to get the electrical installed in the shop and work on getting some insulation installed and some drywall hung but unfortunately I don't have much time this year to get much done, at least the weather has been good.

WDH

That is one heck of a trench  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

Yeah, but too bad he failed his Hoisting Engineers license when he straddled it. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

I had a trench dug from the house to the garden for a water line. A little dirt and MANY rocks was unearthed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Geeg

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 21, 2014, 08:29:39 PM
Yeah, but too bad he failed his Hoisting Engineers license when he straddled it. :D

Ya, I skipped that day and just made an uneducated guess.  ;D

Ljohnsaw

Wow, that is a pretty trench.  Not like mine (500') -

Before (looking up hill):

And almost the same shot (a little further down the hill),  the big cedar is in the middle of the background - note the big rocks and a very ugly trench:

And further down the hill - a rock that could not be moved out of the way.  It doesn't look like it but the trench is about 30" deep.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Geeg

Hi John,

That is one knarly trench nice job!. I like the way you just re-routed the pipe around the rocks. BTW, I like the cedar's you have. What kind of equipment did you use to trench with?

Not much rocks where I am, just sand and clay with only a few rocks as large as a 10". I got a little board of digging and had some beam staining to do inside the house so since I have the best wife in the world, I showed her how to operate the backhoe, funny thing is she loved it!

thecfarm

ljohnsaw,That's more like it.  :(   That is just about how mine looked. geeg trench looks like it was dug on a beach.  ;D  Lucky him.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Geeg on July 22, 2014, 02:49:55 AM
Hi John,

That is one knarly trench nice job!. I like the way you just re-routed the pipe around the rocks. BTW, I like the cedar's you have. What kind of equipment did you use to trench with?

<<snip>>

I hired a backhoe operator.  He has a big Case with an extendable boom.  He had to cut a road in, dig my leach field (where all the dirt was - 8' deep and no rocks in the test pits) and then dig the trench back up the hill.  I used my Yamaha 550 with a snow plow to back fill the leach field and the trench.  I had to clean out the trench by hand, which took about 4 days (while laying the pipe) and then spent another 3 or 4 days back filling.  I shoveled the clean dirt back in until I had enough cover and then tossed the rocks in and then plowed more dirt on top.  I spent $9k on the backhoe work - I suppose I could have bought a used one for that price... :-\
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Geeg

Wow, what a job that was, guess I got off lucky. 9K, man I am in the wrong business!, wish I could make that cash for digging holes, well at least ones with no rocks  :D

Geeg

Took longer than expected buying the mill and getting everything setup to get the siding on the "shack" its not called the shop anymore, its called the lumberjack shack, shack for short. Managed to get the siding put up  as it came off the mill and also added a lean-too to the rear to store the mill and all the implements for the tractor. Took us 4 weeks to get this all done from sun up to sun down, even the wife helped out with slinging logs and working around the mill. In total we cut down 25 red pine and 1 poplar for the roof rafters for the lean-to, what beautiful fall weather!. Also managed to slab some white pine and red oak. Enjoy the pics.

Geeg

tule peak timber

WOW !! What a beauty ! 8) 8) 8) 8)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Brian_Weekley

e aho laula

WDH

Did you peel the bark off the siding?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

WDH,He did not peel the bark off,his wife did it!!
That looks mighty nice.

Geeg

Thanks guys,

Quote from: thecfarm on September 30, 2015, 08:30:25 PM
WDH,He did not peel the bark off,his wife did it!!
That looks mighty nice.

Ha ha, she worked hard but not that hard. Used a 10" taping knife once the boards came off the mill, the bark comes off like butter. All ends were anchor sealed before they were installed to help with the checking.

AK Newbie

LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Haggis

I love the live edge siding!! I think you just convinced me to do that when I build my workshop.

samandothers

Been catching up on this thread so lots of things to note. 

I like the tractor loader backhoe!  While mine is smaller it is a great tool.  Backhoe is particularly fun to use.  I have used it for ditches but also to dig up or dig around small trees to push the over when clearing.

Love the siding work.  Is the live edge tapered so the top edge is thinner for over Lapping?

Concerning the shed, what size and how far apart are the posts?  How deep are the posts and did you back fill with gravel the entire depth.  What size is the beam the rafters are resting on?

Ok enough questions for now.  Great looking 'shack'!   

Geeg

Quote from: samandothers on October 04, 2015, 12:22:07 PM
Been catching up on this thread so lots of things to note. 

I like the tractor loader backhoe!  While mine is smaller it is a great tool.  Backhoe is particularly fun to use.  I have used it for ditches but also to dig up or dig around small trees to push the over when clearing.

Love the siding work.  Is the live edge tapered so the top edge is thinner for over Lapping?

Concerning the shed, what size and how far apart are the posts?  How deep are the posts and did you back fill with gravel the entire depth.  What size is the beam the rafters are resting on?

Ok enough questions for now.  Great looking 'shack'!

Hi samandothers,

I agree about the backhoe, I love the thing, just don't particularly love putting it on and usually when I do, it stays on for as long as possible.

The siding is not tapered, I cut it at 1" thick, so basically cut the log through and through and rotated 90 degrees and cut 9", 8" and 7" boards.

The shed is 47'x13' and the posts are 11'6" apart. Due to my location I had to dig 4' and I dropped in a pre-formed concrete pad, dropped the treated posts in the hole and back filled with 1" gravel, no tamping required as the posts were solid after adding the gravel. Posts are 8x8 and the beams are 2x 2x12 carriage bolted with 2x8 rafters. It is kind of overkill but due to the building code, I had to increase the size due to using my own wood.

samandothers

Yes my back hoe goes on in fall for stuff and then off in spring when the bush hog is needed.  Though the sub frame and the way it mounts is not bad.  I spend more time taking the 3 point hitch draft arms on and off!

Thanks for answering the questions.  It is a great looking build! 

Thank You Sponsors!