iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Help with 18hp B&S

Started by sawmiller7753, November 27, 2012, 07:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawmiller7753

Hey guys need help with motor issues.  The only way I can keep the power up on the motor is to top off the gas.  When she has about half a tank she boggs down and surges.  Doesn't make sence to me.    Already changed plugs.  Oil  was changed before I left home.  Air filter is clean.  Any ideas?
Lucas 618 Mill
WoodBug Mill
Alaskan Mill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Wow....never heard of this.  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bill Gaiche

Check for a plugged fuel filter, collapsed fuel line or fuel pump not pumping. bg

sawmiller7753

Where is the fuel filter located?  In the tank?  I have a lucas mill.  Thanks
Lucas 618 Mill
WoodBug Mill
Alaskan Mill

beenthere

Carb problem maybe?

Where is tank located with reference to the carb?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawmiller7753

Tank sets on top of carb.  The engine runs great when full of fuel.  Like I said when the tank is about half full it boggs down and surges and sometimes just shuts off.  Does the cap have a vent on this model?
Lucas 618 Mill
WoodBug Mill
Alaskan Mill

Bill Gaiche

Not sure on yours. Mine is in the line. Fuel pump is made of black plastic, about 2.5" round and 1" thick mounted on the engine. Trace the fuel line from the carb. back to the pump. Also check that the needle seat area of the carb. is not plugged. bg

pineywoods

Run it till it acts up, then pull off the fuel cap. Replace cap without re-fueling. If it runs OK, you have a vent problem.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

5quarter

I have the same engine, but probably a little older. check the lines for a vacuum leak. cap should be vented, yes. I had a similar problem, turns out the fuel pump was bad. do you have an integrated or external pump?
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Bill Gaiche

All tanks that I have seen have a vent of some kind. bg

sawmillhand

is it a v twin  some pictures might would help. i know sometimes the float in the carb will stick. prob when you fill it up it has enough hydro static pressure to push it open.
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

sawmiller7753

Ok will pull tank tomorrow and check lines.  The Lucas Mill is about 5 years old and 50 hours.  Thanks.  V twin motor
Lucas 618 Mill
WoodBug Mill
Alaskan Mill

shelbycharger400

my kohler 17 hp did that, pulled the carb and pop'd the float out, It had gas inside of it.  cheapy plastic float. 

Hollis Alaska

Just had this happen with the 18hp on my wood-miser. Repaired it by just rebuilding the carb, the problem was the fuel pump diaphragm. You can get just the fuel pump diaphragm or carb kit with them included. Not much to putting the kit in and that way you can clean the bowl and check things out.

Gary

Chuck White

I think pineywoods has it pegged, it sounds like a vent problem.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Al_Smith

Just as general info more times than not on a Briggs pulsa-jet carb problems usually are related to the diaphragm fuel pump .

In addition to that with a little age gunk,sludge etc blocks the main jet from settlements in the bottom of the float bowl and you have to run them about half choked or they lean out and die .

Okay something like a mower engine or maybe this mill engine might sit for a while .Then they want to take a fit on you .Clean the carb up ,maybe replace the fuel pump diaphragms which don't cost much .Blow all the jets out with compressed air .That usually fixes them for a while but the problem comes back given enough time .

Something like a mill engine is running with a bunch of dust swirling around .Just like a chainsaw engine in spite of filters little tiny bits of stuff find their way into the carbs .

Funny though on a mower engine that gets ran more frequently during grass cutting time they don't cause as much grief .It's when they've sat for a spell the problems arise .

larson1951

try it with the cap off or very loose
if that doesn't work you probably have a bad float or your main jet nut (plug on the bottom of float bowl) might be dirty or have water
if you don't have a float bowl you may have bad or torn diaphram
My wife says I never finish anyt

Yesterday my best friend told me to "grow up".....so i immediately banned him from my fort

i feel a whole lot more like i do now than i did a while ago

thecfarm

Hollis Alaska,welcome to the forum. I checked out your website. Looks like quite the place.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Solomon

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on November 27, 2012, 08:43:34 PM
my kohler 17 hp did that, pulled the carb and pop'd the float out, It had gas inside of it.  cheapy plastic float.
Thats a good idea,  do you know anyone who would want to mess with you or pull a prank on you.  Sounds like a coated ping pong ball in your tank.  is the fuel cap opening large enough the someone could have inserted something like that , that floats and blocks the fuel line when the fuel level gets lower?????????? smiley_devil
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

John Bartley

Already mentioned .... this is a +1 for a dirty fuel filter or a plugged tank vent.

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Al_Smith

Ping pong ball in the gas tank. Never heard that one .Now chewing gum under the metal cap vents on old small engines used to be a thing or a potato jammed  in a tailpipe with a broom stick .

There's all kinds of nasty tricks but I won't go into them .

ArtoisDave

On the Briggs, check to see 2 items.
1) If alcohol is used in your fuel, check to see if moisture has caused a clear blob in the bottom of your fuel tank. Clean the tank and filter.

2) An air bubble in the fuel filter. Purge the line and fiter.

Sixacresand

I have a 18 horse 2 cylinder BS on a mower which is still running after 25 years.  If the fuel filter is bad, it would have enough gravity pressure with a full tank to push gas through the filter but not enough when the tank is half full.  If fuel is getting through the lines, then it is probably the pump diaphram.  If the problem is the tank cap vent, it should run fine after loosening it.  Good luck with it.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

sawmiller7753

Ok guys I am back home from my trip to Ohio.  Sawed up around 800 bft. of burr oak and red oak.  Left dad to stack it.  Some really nice boards.  The tree was damaged during a big storm this past summer.  Well what we found is and I believe is causing the issues is, white junk in the filter and tank.  It is almost like teflon pipe dope.  Called around to see if we could get a filter with no luck, so we cleaned best we could and cleaned tank.  Ran really good lots of power but started acting up right at the end of sawing.. We finished sawing but looks like I may have to do a royal cleaning now that I have some down time.  Any ideas of what the white junk is?  Could it be the filter itself?  Thanks for all the help.  I was worried about now getting all the wood milled, but we did.  Thanks guys.
Lucas 618 Mill
WoodBug Mill
Alaskan Mill

dgdrls

where is your fuel coming from and being stored in?

I wonder if your experiencing degradation of the fuel lines/tank from the ethanol fuel?

DGDrls

Thank You Sponsors!