iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new mill ???

Started by musky111, March 23, 2004, 08:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

musky111

I'M looking to buy a sawmill.  i like the wood-mizer LT15 and LT27.  i need to have it on a trailer!! would anyone recomend one of these models,or something else that goes on a trailer.  trying to keep the price down to under 8000.  i don't know a lot about milling, but want to learn alot, and would like to learn from people who use the stuff, NOT A SALES MAN.
thanks.

Bibbyman

The LT15 and LT27 are both excellent mills and are both available with a trailer package.  

The major difference is that the LT27 is built on the LT40 type monorail frame and head design.  The LT15 has a ladder frame and a third post on the right side.

The advantage to the LT27 is it's heavier frame and sawhead and is available with larger engines.  The trailer package stays on the mill when the mill is set up for sawing so it only takes a couple of minutes to set up.

The advantage of the LT15 is that you can add as many 5' sections as you like and thus cut any length of log.  The trailer package on the LT15 is removed when setting the mill up to saw – thus the logs are loaded at about ground level – a real advantage if you don't have heavy equipment to lift logs.  

With an LT15,  a trailer package is not needed to transport.  They were first introduced without one.  I've helped load and unload one into/from a PU a number of times.  I find it easier than removing the wheels and stub axles.  If you plan to pull it in something besides a PU,  it could be loaded into a small utility trailer even easier.

I like the idea that the LT15 can be broken down and stored in about the same area of space as a quad-runner or riding lawn mower.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

RJJ

I recently purchased an LT-15 and have just started sawing with it.

Had a neighbor help me fabricate a trailer package for it. I liked WM's trailer package but thought the price tag was a little high!!

As I said we just started out sawing with it and as of right now I couldn't be happier with our choice.

Although more labor intensive than the hydraulic version, if one is planning on keeping your operation small and sawing primarily for yourself with some small side jobs I would highly recommend it!! And good customer support as well!!

summerjob

I have an Lt 25 (same as an Lt 27 just a shorter version).  I do custom sawing.  Sawed 2144 BDFT of walnut this past saturday for a customer without any support equipment.  It works well.  The only conveniences I wish I had would be a hydraulic log turner and an automatic up and down.  The cranking for the feed isn't bad at all.  Can anyone tell me about adding an electric motor to the up and down.  Easy to bolt on?? Need and external alternator??

D._Frederick

Both TimberKing and Baker have mills that fit your requirement, also check Cooks saw for small trailable mills.

Kevin

I have the LT-15 and I can say it's a first class personal mill.

cozynest

Musky, I was in your shoes just a few months ago. I decided  to buy a sawmill for my own woodworking shop. I looked at the WM LT15, Hudsons Oscar 30, Baker buddy,Baker M18, Norwood 2000. In compairing and those machines (except the LT 15) two things became apparent to me. One, I found they all cut nice, they all used WM double hard blades and everyone compaired their mills quality to Wood-Mizer mills as if that was the standard they were striving to achieve. Quite a complement to WM I thought. The LT15, though it looks light is a real fine piece of equipment, but working on the ground will break your back in a days time. And that goes for any ground track unit Like the Oscar 30 or the Baker buddy. The second quite obvious thing was the people at WM. I have never delt with better people.I mean they will give you their full attention to get you started off on the right track. I just can't tell you how important that is when your making a major purchase to have the factory with you any time you need them.

In the end I opted for the LT 27 18 hp. I just love it. The only thing I feel I would like to have is a powered head (up and down) I really just could'nt justify the extra dollars to get the LT40 manual.

I know this sounds like an infomercial for WM but this is how it happened. I wish GM and Ford would adopt WM ethics.

Steve
LT27G18; Kubota 3710

Kevin

Don't forget to ask them about the ski package.   :D

Swede

"Amerika-Sågen" looks like a Baker 30 at the frame but not at the saw unit. Feeding and up/down is hydraulik and (of course) it´s a 4-poster ;). Purchased it used last summer and it works very nice.
Tomorrow I´ll begin to build on hydraulic logloading, rotating, dogs............  but the weight will be max 1200kg. I´ll take photos and if I don´t put them here I´ll put them on my home page in the future.

As I´ve been a designer and builder of maschines in 20 years I want to be able to make   spare parts in my workshop or buy standard parts in "every town". Thats from my position. For one who don´t have the possibility to make this himself a good costomer support is more important but special parts usaly is expensive. Look at details and try to gess what can breake and what it´ll cost to repair.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Norwiscutter

Kevin, That is exactly what I needed for the last  6 months. Gettting sick and tired of cleaning a foot of snow off the mill every time I use it. Do you throw the lumber on the mill to get it out of the woods when your done?
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

bull

Go with the LT 15.... If you want to get a bigger mill later, your resale value is equal to your purchase, at least mine was.
I Had my LT 15 for 4 years and updated to an LT 40Super
and sold the LT 15 for more than I payed for it....
 8)

Swede

Kevin;

You don´t need any log lifter there. Just dig a hole in the snow, let the mill down and turn the log over it! (^__^)

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Thank You Sponsors!