iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gas

Started by albirk, November 27, 2012, 05:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

albirk

with all the different gas out their is it still safe to mix 2.5 gallon of gas with 6.4 oz.of oil I use stihl oil and straight gas no (E ANYTHING) or is it better to mix 2.3-2.4 gallons gas to 6.4 oz. oil?? I only keep the gas for two weeks then it goes in the old truck and mix new

thanks for the help

ladylake

It won't matter, Without ethonal gas will last longer than 2 weeks.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

albirk, I use husky oil and I use thier 5 gallons mix in 4 gallons of high test gas. That's with the e stuff.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

I very seldom buy Stihl mix oil but the other week I bought a pack of the stuff which is already set for 50 to 1 by using 2.5 gallons of gas per little bottle of oil .Rather than 2.5 I used 2 gallon .

I'm not saying 50 to 1 is bad or anything because a lot of people use it but being old school I prefer a little more oil than that .

Ed

I always mix 2 gallons also....only because thats all my old gas gan holds.  :D

Ed

Al_Smith

Now check this out .I've bought TSC mix oil for years ,little bottles ,32 to 1 premeasured ,little bottle per one gallon .

Never had a problem with it .Then out of the clear blue no more TSC oil,high priced Husqvarna on the shelf ,what's with this I thought .Come to find out they moved the TSC oil from the chainsaw section so they could push that darned Huskey stuff .Sat it on a back shelf where noone would notice it .Well now that kinda sucks IMO .I perservered and found it though after quizzing the store manager why no more TSC oil .

They actually in a way cut their nose off to spite their face at least a little .I figured if I was going to pay for that high priced Husky stuff I'd just as well trot on over to the Stihl dealer and pay about the same .--oil wars --- :D

albirk

thank for the replys i am like Ed my gas can is 2 gallon I no I could get a new one but their is nothing wrong with this one

Al  that is (bs) when stores do thing like that their must be more $$ in the husky oil

Al_Smith

I have no idea why they pulled that trick but it didn't work with me .I don't have anything against Husqvarna or stihl for that matter . It'll be a cold day in the neither world though before I pay that tarrif just because some big name company has thier name on something .

Some people might be impressed with big names I just don't happen to be one of them --more oil wars  stuff -- 8)

ComputerUser

I don't know that juicing up your oil mix is going to solve the ethanol problem.  So I'd mix it the way you usually do, and avoid ethanol-laced fuel if you can.

JRHAWK9

I use non-ethanol fuel and Bel-Ray H1R @32:1 in all my saws.  I haven't had any issues yet and H1R seems to burn VERY clean.

Al_Smith

H1R ,isn't that model airplane av gas ? Kinda pricey I'd think for a chainsaw .

Ianab

H1R is their top of the line synthetic 2 stroke oil.  Possibly overkill for a chainsaw, but it's probably about the best lubricant you could possibly use in a 2 stroke engine.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

AdkStihl

MOTUL 800 2T....... :D......... 8).......... :)......... ;)
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Oh it's oil ,belay my last .I thought it was some super duper high tech by invitation only gasoline .

Well ya know it gets confusing .Across the big eastern pond they carry on about some super fuel called aspen,ashcan ,asplunh or something although I think the later is a big tree service .

Then some talk about aviation gasoline or Cam II they use in their saws .While myself being a county bumpkin just spring a little extra change for high test and think I'm the last of the big spenders .

dirtmod454

I switched from husky oil to Amsoil Saber oil about 2 years ago. The saber oil is specifically formulated for premix applications. They claim that is safe to mix this oil 100:1. I mix it somewhere in the 50:1 to 60:1 range with excellent results using premium non ethanol gas. The saws run great/smell great with virtually no smoke. This oil is also slightly cheaper than buying husky oil or stihl oil. I would recommend the Amsoil Saber for any 2 stroke premix application.

Al_Smith

Hmm wonder how it works at 32 to 1. Mosquito fogger ?

Now you know you can't teach old dogs new tricks . :D

Geeze before you know it somebody will stumble along and claim now because you have less oil in the mixture now the saw will run too rich .Just wait and see now . ;)

Ianab

Al, just for you.

This is the bottle of Official Dolmar oil that I got with my 7900. Dealer specifically told me to ignore the 50:1 stuff in the manual, and mix at 25:1 ( I actually mix everything 32:1). Stihl dealer told me exactly the same thing when I bought my 310. His explanation was our petrol is formulated differently. Lawnmower guy, same story.

But it seems to be "official" policy to mix more oil here.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mad murdock

I run32:1 as well. Never had a problem, no oil fouling, no premature wear. Valvtec make an awesome gas treatment that nullifies the ill effects of ethanol if you can't find non ethanol gas. Makes it stable and non reactive to rubber as well. An 8 oz bottle treats 125 gallons of gas.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

SwampDonkey

Run 50:1 on Stihl or Husky oil here. Have cut 100's of acres by now on a 6 year old brush saw. These oils have stabilizer in them as well you know. Lasts (the goodness) a lot longer than 2 weeks. Heck a 20 gallon jug lasts me 8 days of cutting, 8 hrs a day. 1-1/2 hr per 0.7 litre tank (get out the calculator ;D ). Lighter cut'n 2 hours, heavy cut'n 60 minutes.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

I dunno Swamp I've got a 200T trim saw I can blow a tank through in about 15 minutes .Kind of a midget hot saw .I'd be kind of  scared to run 50 to 1 in it and twice as scared to run 100 to 1 .

Tony from Amicks always sends a bunch of stuff up north to some of the guys when they put on a GTG .There was a little bottle of that stabiizer stuff included .I can't remember exactly who made the stuff but it was supposed to help with the ethanol .

I've never seen the Dolmar oil or as matter of fact many Dolmars period in this part of the country .Nothing wrong with them they just never became a contender in the market place .

SwampDonkey

Mixed as per manufacturer recommendations. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Oh it's probabley allright ,a lot of people run them that way with pretty good luck .

sawwood

With all this talk of Ethanol gas being bad for our chain saw and we don't use our saw that much.We all ways have trouble starting them when we do. We use Mobil 2t synthetic oil
in our gas mix. Now i wounder if that Sta-Bil Ethanol treatment will help and will it be ok
with the 2t oil? Where can you buy Ethanol free gas ? I would like to see if it will help us
when we don't use our saw much.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

beenthere

Sawwood
Here is a site that lists for MO
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MO
May be old now.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawwood

Thanks Beenthere, Will check some of them.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Thank You Sponsors!