iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone running a slabbing mill near Devon PA?

Started by Delawhere Jack, November 26, 2012, 10:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

I got a call from a guy in Devon PA Saturday afternoon who is looking to get a couple willow oak logs milled. One of the logs has the root swell on it, and he says it's about 5 1/2 feet across. Too big for my LT40. He wants the logs milled 3" thick to make tables. I told him that I would put the word out looking for slabbers in the area. If anyone is interested PM me and I 'll forward your contact info to him.

Thanks, JC.

logboy

If no one turns up, you might contact Baileys and see if they have any Lucas Slabber owners in the area.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

fishpharmer

Check with the sawing Nomad.  I understand he likes to take loonnngggg road trips. :)

ff member "nomad"
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Nomad

Quote from: fishpharmer on November 26, 2012, 11:46:58 PM
Check with the sawing Nomad.  I understand he likes to take loonnngggg road trips. :)

ff member "nomad"

Waitaminnit, Fish!!! :D :D :D  Edit:  Let's just say that's a bit out of my range and let it go at that... ::)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Ironwood

Hearn Hardwoods, Talarico, and several others are near him, but likely they dont wanna slab for anyone but themselves.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Ironwood on November 27, 2012, 08:34:09 PM
Hearn Hardwoods, Talarico, and several others are near him, but likely they dont wanna slab for anyone but themselves.

Ironwood

He contacted Hearn but their price was too high for him.

beenthere

QuoteHe contacted Hearn but their price was too high for him.

What was their price? Would be of interest to know what is "too high".
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Leigh Family Farm

Maybe hit up FF member Twelsh and see if he has any connects up there since he is only about 35 minutes away. Devon is also horse country (think richey rich) so it would be a good word-of-mouth advertising for whoever gets the job.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ironwood

Well, They (Hearn) have a HUGE bandmill that was Govt Surplus, then upfitted with all the latest, spent (rumor) several hundred grand on it, including a vaccum pump system to lift via crane and manipulate the CRAZY big slabs.  I gotta respect that, you dont wanna work for peanuts when you invest that kinda capital...... I was there many years ago when they poured the concrete months before the install.....

Ironwood.
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Meadows Miller

Lucas Mills are a pretty rare beast on the east coast from what i know  :) Someone should get one as when i did  the ag progress days at state college PA and the Sawmill Shootout in OH it was the first time alot of people had seen one or seen one run if they knew what it was had one fella ask me your not going to saw those huge logs with that little saw i just said it'll do it quicker than most just one bite at a time Mate  ;)

Now the companys like Hearn's that have the capacity to do slabbing are generally only interested in doing their own products as they see the profit out of it and its not in their interest to slab stuff for others who might dump it onto the market at a lower rate than what thay are selling it for I would not be supprised if they quoted in the order of $1 to $1.50 a bft  ;) As Ironwood made the point they have spent alot of bloody money to be able to produce the products they do  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Ironwood

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: thecfarm on November 29, 2012, 09:53:57 PM
Devon? Is that about 15 minutes from Gap,PA?

More like 25-35 minutes. Gap is a ways down Rt. 30 and its got a whole bunch of stop lights between there and Devon.

Ron Wenrich

What mill is in Gap?  I know Lapp is down there, but he doesn't have a slabbing mill.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

T Welsh

Rick Hearne and Sam Talerico are the only two in the area that have the saws to do that kind of width!As Ironwood and Ron Wenrich said. If Ricks quote was high, then Sam,s will be in line. Lapp Lumber is in Gap as with Zooks Sawmill. They both run conventional circle mills and will not be able to slab. I have my plate full at this time with all the aftermath of hurricane Sandy and regular customers and am backed up into February. My LT40,s width is only 28" at the throat so I would not be able to help. kilgrosh, Thanks for the plug. I am getting ready to run about 20 small oaks for a timber frame if you want to get saw dust in your gloves! Tim

WDH

Hearnes prices are very high looking at the website or I have been selling slabs way too low  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Wenrich

I have a feeling you're not in the same marketplace as Hearne or Talarico.   ;)

thecfarm

That might be the same place.Seem like our Amish friends brought us down there to visit their brother.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

T Welsh

I sell all our high end logs to Hearnes. Rick is very picky when buying local Cherry or Walnut! But most times his prices are as good or better than veneer prices I get from Crown Hardwoods in London Grove! He has spent a lot of time and money in marketing and his facilities. His prices are high! But, he seems to be prospering well. And when I drop a log off and he buys it, I have a check in my hand when I leave.

Rick scaling a local Walnut with a good crotch. Came home with 7 large in my pocket. Tim

WDH

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on December 01, 2012, 07:32:32 AM
I have a feeling you're not in the same marketplace as Hearne or Talarico.   ;)

That's a fact for sure.  Little guys like me sell wood to people for reasonable prices.  It is all about marketing and hype.  In the end, a hardwood slab is a slab of hardwood.  You just need to sprinkle some pixie dust on it to make to 10 times more valuable.  He has a moxie of pixie dust. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Delawhere Jack

I visited Hearn about a month ago and spoke with Pat (Rick's wife?). From what I gather they tend to shy away from milling customer logs. Not because they're worried about the customers under selling them, but because it's a hassle, and it costs quite a bit to fire up their bandsaw. Apparently it's a real amp hog. For what they would need to charge it's just not feasible for them to cut a walk-in customers common hardwood log.

It is a really neat operation though, and they've got some pretty impressive wood. They seem like nice folks too. They've found a niche and they're sticking with it.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: WDH on December 01, 2012, 07:22:59 AM
Hearnes prices are very high looking at the website or I have been selling slabs way too low  :).

Those are list prices......I'm sure there is haggle room for folks buying large quantities. But for the guy building one jewerly box who wants to sort through every piece of walnut...??? :-X Maybe not high enough.

WDH

People can get a far better deal by dealing with smaller sawyers like you see on here than with those folks.  On the really wide stuff that nobody else can mill, I can see it.  But, a 20" cherry slab for $15/board foot is not that unique .  More power to them.

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: T Welsh on December 01, 2012, 07:08:30 AM
... kilgrosh, Thanks for the plug. I am getting ready to run about 20 small oaks for a timber frame if you want to get saw dust in your gloves! Tim

Man do I ever! If I had known, I would have been down today to give you a hand. I'll call you this week and maybe I can come help this Saturday? Thanks Tim!!

T Welsh

I think the price thing is local and I do not know how much he sell,s! But when a customer says my prices are high I tell them to go to Hearnes and get what they need. 9 times out of 10 they come back. Its all a niche market and exotics and highly figured woods can command as high as a price as the customer is willing to pay.We live outside of Philly and its a very affluent area,I am guilty of not charging enough sometimes myself and kick myself afterwards and then the next sale I lose because the customer can get the product cheaper somewhere else. Its a never ending learning curve! But I learn each day ;D. Tim

Ron Wenrich

I remember talking to Talarico a number of years ago.  These guys work in much different circles than 99.9% of the other commercial areas.  They get logs from all over the world, and spend way more than you cam imagine.  Its not hard to imagine those slabs go all over the world.  They're looking at the super wealthy and that ilk. 

Thank You Sponsors!