iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drag-back mod for LT28

Started by WoodenHead, November 26, 2012, 06:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenHead

I've working on changing my work flow over time and one thing I thought I would try is to borrow the drag-back option that some of the hydraulic mills have.

There wasn't much room to mount under the engine, but with some steel scrap and a father who loves to weld, I came up with the following:  (The pictures aren't the best but give the idea.)

I gave it a brief try today and it works slick.  Since the drive motor on the LT28 isn't very strong, I limit the use to 1" boards and flitches.  Eventually I will have a roller table setup at the end of the mill.  I also hope to buy an edger, so right now I am only dragging boards back once a cant has been formed.  Initial trials worked well, so I'll take it off and paint it.

(Pictures may be rotated 90 deg - I tried to change that in my gallery, but didn't seem to work)

moandrich

woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

Ga Mtn Man

Looks really good.  A video would be nice. :)  First rate stickering job there in the background too.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

WoodenHead

I'll post a video when I get a chance and after I figure out the Youtube thing.  Pineywoods asked me for a video of the hydraulic log turner as well (working great - thanks Piney).

I suppose I should have posted this in the useful sawmill modifcations post.

Not all my stacks are stickered as nicely as that one.  :D

Jemclimber

Very nice. Is the drive on the 28 like the 15, using a rope like a capstan?  Does it pull back 16' boards? I may copy this, thanks...
lt15

WoodenHead

Jemclimber,

I have the electric drive option on my LT28 which may be the same as the one on the LT15, but it is not the rope and crank.  I have tried 16' lengths of 1 x 10 and notice little effort for the electric drive motor.  It may work for you as well. 

I'm not saying you should try this, but one of the reasons I knew it would work is because I've accidentally used the blade as a drag back once or twice.  :o  Perhaps a temporary setup for an experiment might work.

Feel free to copy.  I'm happy to give back something in return for all the information I've found on the forum.  :)

JohnSR

Do you think the charging system will be able to keep up while cutting and dragging boards off? My LT28 power feed seems to slow down at the end of day. Maybe it's just me getting tired as I checked the charge and it seemed to be ok. The  machine came with the 18 hp engine and the instructions on the power feed states to keep the engine running while  it is on.

Was milling several 21 foot long Douglas Firs last week and was concerned if the battery would last. Made it though ok but didn't shut the engine down except to change blades. Should have checked the state of the battery when I was done but at my age, all I could think of was a hot shower :D

Jemclimber

Mine is the power feed using a rope and I have accidentally bumped a board once or twice but only for a couple inches. I will give it a try. Thanks.
lt15

WoodenHead

JohnSR,

I have the 18HP diesel and I haven't noticed any problems with charging at any time.  I often move the head without the engine running (maybe I shouldn't) and the head does move slower then.  However, I have never had a problem while the engine is running.

bandmiller2

Dragback will have to put more strain and wear on your feed motor and battery,how much is the question, and if the gains are worth it.When I ran the LT-70 we tried it,sometimes the board is pushed off wrong and hangs up.Only real merit is if your alone. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!