iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metal saw job

Started by hackberry jake, November 26, 2012, 03:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I saw a local commercial mill owner over the weekend and HE was asking ME a lot of questions about MY mill. Things like blade cost, hydraulics, production, and handling. I asked why he was so curious about my little guy when he owns a high production circle mill with a dozen or so employees. He said he had acquired about 1000 or so logs with "suspected metal" and he had been piling them up. He said he would buy the bands if I would saw them and we would split the profit from what they brought. He said there are definately a dozen or so that are over my 30" capacity, but most are under. He said about half of them have one opening face already cut and the others have gray stain. I am going to pick up my first load of logs tomorrow. This will be all 5/4 jacket boards with a 7x9 tie out of the heart. This will be interesting.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

drobertson

You aint' just a kidding!  You know there is metal in those logs. But if he is suppling the blades no harm no foul in my book.  Good luck and have fun, you might see some neet stuff in these logs.  Not sure how you handle broke blades  well into the logs, but you might consider a light weight wedge with a hand hold just to back the blade out to replace without being over the log.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

york

Well,tell us about the history of the logs and the hardware...

albert
Albert

paul case

I dont know what the ''profits'' would be to share. but I kinda always like ot have all the profit and on ties and lumber you will too. It is a good chance he paid more than half the tie for the log. 

This should be interesting.

I wouldn't want to be doing it for less than the sawing would cost him. Feep track of hours and bdft and let us know how this comes out.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

hackberry jake

The way he put it to me was his teeth cost close to $5 a piece and the blade itself was in the $2000 range if I remember correctly. I don't think I would want to send metal through it either.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

customsawyer

I cut the nail logs for the big mill. It can prove interesting to say the least.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Al_Smith

As an outsider and a novice looking in I'd about think a higher volume mill would have a decent metal scanner and know for a fact if those logs have hidden treasures rather than "suspect " .

Converesely having done business with business owners ,con men and pirates normally when somebody wants to "split profits " means they get the cream and you get the skim milk .

Peter Drouin

Hi to me theres no money in cutting the Metal logs. your going to spend all your time trying to back out of the cut and changing blades.If theres not to much metal you might be all right. good luck :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I suppose too late now,charge by the hour plus blades.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

taylorsmissbeehaven

I bought a cheap metal detector from harbor freight about a year ago. Used it for the first time on the logs I posted pictures of over the weekend. I was amazed at how well it worked. Might be worth the investment. Then again you might spend all day digging metal out if they really are full of it. :'( Good luck, cant wait to hear how it goes,Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

I'll tell ya what if you don't watch it you could get a EDITED

If "share the profits " means paid after it gets sold ,just when is that ?

With a small mill like this boardwalk deal it'll take you a month of Sundays just to do one load let alone a thousand logs .

I think I'd tread a little lightly on something like this .Maybe do one load see how long this guy does the Teaberry shuffle until you get paid .If that works out then maybe a load at a time that way if you don't get paid you're only out a little bit .You play big time and try to hold out for a  big check like a tycoon you might be waiting 'til the chickens come home to roost which could be forever .

You gotta remember you can always repossess a car or a house but you can't unsaw a log .

bandmiller2

When big miller says he suspects metal it means there is metal.I would not commit to the whole load, tell him you will try it,and boath of you can walk away if it doesn't work out.It could lead to a good relationship that will benifit boath. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

5quarter

Jake..."split the profit" is a losing proposition if you are not also being paid for the sawing +blades. What about pick up and delivery? Material handling? He wouldn't have made the offer if it wasn't profitable for him, but unless he's got ready markets for everything that comes out of those logs, there won't be much if any profit in it for you. Having said that, under the right terms, it could work out to be a good $$ stream for you. just make sure you're covered.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Al_Smith

I have no idea what a rough tie would fetch but there's  approx a thousand of them .Now those rascals are heavy ,you're going to need a fork lift or skid loader to handle them or a couple of giants who  work cheap .That's not to mention a bunch of 1 1/4" stuff you have to bundle or stack some way ,nails ,screws or horse shoes therein or not .

I suppose you could cut the ties out of the middle and firewood the rest but I don't think this is what the guy had in mind .Well you'd probabley stand a better chance of not hitting steel than plain sawing down to tie depth I would think .

pineywoods

Looks like an ideal time to invest in a box or 2 of the WM stellite blades. They usually survive an encounter with nails, but not horse shoes and plow shares..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Al_Smith

Now what would  a horse be doing in a tree to begin with ,plowing ?

beenthere

This proposal to "split the profit" would seem to the killer for you.

The initial result will be "split the cost" in the beginning, then hopefully and eventually split any possible profit.

Not a good business deal here, but it may be fun for you as a hobby or to just get the experience and satisfy your curiosity.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

He told me if this works out than we both gain. He doesn't care if I cut one log and call it quits. I don't see how I can get too burnt on this deal

customsawyer

Give it a try. There is nothing to lose except the potential to make a profit. I have my own sharpening equipment so when I am cutting logs that I am sure have metal in them I use the same blades over and over. I don't sharpen them to perfection just good enough to cut another nail log. Doing it this way I can make almost as much sharping blades as I can milling ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

hackberry jake

Well I've been working 12s at work so the first time I got to work on th metal saw job was this weekend. I went and picked up 6 logs one white oak and five red oaks. From 14" to 28" diameters on the small ends. I hit two nails in one cut, but other than that it was metal free. I cut around most of it. I got over 500 bf of 5/4 lumber and six 7x9 ties. I will haul the load in one day this week and judge wheather it's worth it or not. Things I've learned; red oak cuts like a dream, 5/4 red oak boards over 20" are extremely heavy. I'll be glad to go back to work tomorrow so I can heal up. Sure was fun though

Magicman

Hopefully the profit line will hold up and if so it could be a good sideline job.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Hopefully your body will hold up as well  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!