iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another day in the South

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 26, 2012, 12:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This stuff happens daily down here....and I mean EVERY day. And all this was in the days paper.
Gotta love the South!

1. Ga. teen accused of killing stepfather with sword

2. Police: Rock Hill woman attacks girlfriend with ironing board

3. Report: Shoplifters steal beer from Food Lion, run out of gas  :D :D :D

4. SC Lowcountry seeing more marsh rats

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

What has happened to that famous Southern Hospitality?

This story is not meant to be a negative about the south, but probably about my naivety of being brought up as a ministers son country boy from the north.

The first time Tammy and I went to visit Mr. Tom in Florida was Christmas time 2001. We left the day after Christmas for Florida, and Tom and Gael left PA, where they were visiting relatives for Christmas. The plan was that they would get there just before us. As it turned out, they got caught in some weather on their trip, so were a bit slower.  We arrived at their home when they were still a couple hours out.  So, we decided there were a couple things we wanted to pick up, so made our way into Jacksonville to where we found a Walmart. This was early evening sometime.  Once in the store, I noticed that we were a bit different than everyone else in there. We were also getting glared and stared at. I made eye contact a couple times, and smiled, but would only get a glare in return.  We picked up what we were looking for and went to the checkout. The Lady at the checkout was very business like, and as we picked up our bags to leave, I said have a good evening, and She simply said Uhh huhhh.  We walked to the truck and went on back to Tom's where we were met by a guy that looked like Santa Clause out of Uniform sporting a big smile and a flashlight standing in the driveway. :)

After we got our things out of the truck, and settled in Tom and Gael's home, we talked about our evenings getting there. Tom talked about Gael's driving to fast in all that foreign white stuff and fearing for his life (He always talked about fearing for his life when Gael drove no matter what the weather).  We then talked about finding our way into Jacksonville and going to Walmart.  When I finished telling them exactly which Walmart, they gave each other a look and said together "YOU WENT WHERE??"   Apparently they seemed to think we were lucky to have survived. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

Walmart is an alien country, populated by strange creatures of the night.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Mooseherder

They were probably saying to themselves, "Don't look at him, he crazy." :D

I saw a couple weird things today.  The first was an 80 year old man exercising and touching his toes alternating over and over.  The weird part is he was on the sidewalk that had 3 lanes of traffic going each way.
Then there was a shadow boxer on Dixie Highway.  He was on the sidewalk kicking Casper the ghost's butt.  He did appear to have proper style and form though. ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

:D :D :D :D :D Good story Jeff  :D :D :D :D :D......but it ain't crazy yet.... :D...go on down to Miami. :D :D :D

I'm trying to think of a good punch line to this joke:  :D

Hey ya'll.......did ya hear about the 2 Yoppers that walked in to the Florida Wal-Mart?  :D :D :D :D

thurlow

There may be SOME Southerneers that live there, but I'm not sure if Jacksonville is considered to be a part of the South..........
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thurlow on November 26, 2012, 02:42:07 PM
There may be SOME Southerneers that live there, but I'm not sure if Jacksonville is considered to be a part of the South..........

Good point....actually the South STOPS when you leave Georgia going into Florida.  ;D
I do know a lot of Southern folks in Fla. though.....and they are true Southern Folks!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Shotgun

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD link=topic=62084.

Hey ya'll.......did ya hear about the 2
b]Yoppers[/b] that walked in to the Florida Wal-Mart?  :D :D :D :D

How hurtful.  It's YOOPERS!

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Nomad

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 26, 2012, 02:49:44 PM
Quote from: thurlow on November 26, 2012, 02:42:07 PM

Good point....actually the South STOPS when you leave Georgia going into Florida.  ;D
I do know a lot of Southern folks in Fla. though.....and they are true Southern Folks!

Poston, Jacksonville isn't actually in Florida.  This is really urban south Georgia.  Florida starts around Palatka. 

Jeff, I know exactly where the WalMart you went to is, and I can see exactly why Tom and Gael would've said that! 
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

davch00

QuoteWalmart is an alien country, populated by strange creatures of the night
So very true. 

If you survive any trip to any Walmart is a good day in my book. I seldom go in a Walmart, and I absolutely refuse to go in on a weekend day.

Chris Burchfield

I kinda thought Florida only existed so snowbirds would have a place to winter.   :D :D :D  Wife and I stayed at a KOA campground in Alligator Point some years ago for about a week.  It was a good time.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on November 26, 2012, 03:12:25 PM
What the heck is a yopper?

Oh Gosh Jeff......my apologizes.   :) I did not mean to spell it that way.  :-[ (embarrassed).

DR Buck

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 26, 2012, 12:08:32 PM
This stuff happens daily down here....and I mean EVERY day. And all this was in the days paper.
Gotta love the South!

1. Ga. teen accused of killing stepfather with sword

2. Police: Rock Hill woman attacks girlfriend with ironing board

4. SC Lowcountry seeing more marsh rats

After reading the first two I began thinking " I didn't know South Carolina was a no gun state"?  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Mooseherder

My daughter had to take some scans today of a patient and took a picture of the lady's name.
Her first name was Neverseenher.  I wish I was kidding. ::)

JohnM

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 26, 2012, 12:08:32 PM

Maybe they should have stolen some baked beans ??? ;)

...wait!  do 'y'all' have baked beans done there?!! :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

WDH

I made some last week  :D. 

I was in Tacoma, WA having breakfast one morning.  The waitress came over and asked if I wanted coffee.  "Yes Ma'am."  She looked at me funny, then walked away.  A bit later she asked me another question, and I answered, "Yes, Ma'am."  Now she glared at me and huffed off.  When it happened the third time, she stopped and looked at me and said, "Are you making fun of me?".  "No Ma'am". 

"Ma'am?"  We were taught to be respectful to a Lady.  She thought I was mocking her.  Cultures are different.  Even at WalMart  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: WDH on November 26, 2012, 09:51:49 PM
I made some last week  :D. 

I was in Tacoma, WA having breakfast one morning.  The waitress came over and asked if I wanted coffee.  "Yes Ma'am."  She looked at me funny, then walked away.  A bit later she asked me another question, and I answered, "Yes, Ma'am."  Now she glared at me and huffed off.  When it happened the third time, she stopped and looked at me and said, "Are you making fun of me?".  "No Ma'am". 

"Ma'am?"  We were taught to be respectful to a Lady.  She thought I was mocking her.  Cultures are different.  Even at WalMart  :).

How do you think she'd have reacted to "Thank you Darlin" ?  :o

Magicman

A school teacher was telling me about one of her students,  Semaj James.  His first name is his last name spelled backwards.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

The South doesn't really end at the Ga/Fla line, but the further south ya go, the further north ya get. :D  We can spot a yankee a mile away, and don't want to be too friendly, lest they might not go back.  We will gladly extend our hand to you though, as long as your's has money in it. ;D 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thecfarm

DanG,now I know why they keep coming back. Help me out here Dan.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lynches lumber

For those that dont know. Northerners are called yankees down here. The ones that dont go back are called d*** yankees. We have some great yankee friends. When some of their friends or relatives come down we usually have a get together and of course I ask of their intentions so Ill know how to refer to them. Well now there having a big get together in New York in January and for some reason they want me to come up. Hmmm. One redneck up north amongst all them yankees. Yea right. They must think I fell of the turnip truck yesterday. ;D

Papa1stuff

I'm one of those D*** Yankees been here about 40 years ;D ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Magicman

We do not have a choice about where we are born, but sometimes folks do have a choice about where they live.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!