iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

American Chestnut Maybe Largest In U.S. in Hebron,ME.

Started by thecfarm, November 25, 2012, 09:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

A contest to find the largest trees in Oxford County, Maine may have uncovered the tallest American Chestnut tree in the state and perhaps the country,according to this article,

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/oxford-hills/2012/11/21/american-chestnut-tree-believed-largest-maine/1281101

Have to wait and see.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Yay, Maine!

I wonder how that one survived to get that big.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

thecfarm

I would guess,there was none around it. A lone tree had a very good chance to survive. There is a Elm tree just about a mile from here, kinda not another tree around it and it survived the Dutch Elm. I have no idea the DBH,but I would guess 3 feet across easy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ben5398

Just saw this and had to add my two cents. I doubt mine is taller but, it is way more than 78 inches around, my families chestnut was planted by my great, great grandfather some time in the late 1870's early 1880's.  I have thought of registering it but never bothered.  Knowing this I kind of want to get home from work and just eyeball it to make a guess on height (rarely am home during daylight hours this time of year).  I would guess 70 or so feet tall, but hard to tell from memory.  And yes it is a single chestnut far from any other.  The Illinois State University arborist (Dean of Green as he is called) attempted to grow some from its seeds but failed. They would have been 50/50 Chinese/American.  The drought killed a sucker I tried to grow while I was on vacation last summer(planted over a year ago and was doing great, really saddened me).  It almost never puts out suckers, so I don't know if I could pull it off again. 
A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither.
A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
Friedman, Milton
1912-2006

thecfarm

Okrafarmer

How do you positively tell American chestnut from Chinese, European, or other possible types of chestnut? I had someone call me today and say they have one in their yard and they're planning to cut it, do I want to buy the logs? I assume it is Chinese chestnut, but how would you tell for sure?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

WDH

Chinese chestnut will have whitish pubescence on the underside of the leaf, especially near the petiole.  American chestnut will not have the fuzzy pubescence.  The tips of the small twigs of chinese chestnut will also have a little pubescence near the tip. American chestnut will not.

There is also a native Allegheny Chinkapin that has a leaf just like chestnut and has a bur as a fruit.  In American chestnut, there are two or more nuts in the bur, and the nuts are flattened.  In Allegheny chinkapin, there a single round nut to the bur.  The leaves are smaller in chinkapin, and they are also pubescent. 

Look for pubescence.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Thank You Sponsors!