iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tom

Started by Texas Ranger, November 25, 2012, 08:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Happy Birthday, I hope the celestial choir sings pretty for  you.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WH_Conley

I will second that.
Bill

Magicman

My thoughts have been with Mr. Tom all morning.  I have my red shirt laid out to wear this afternoon.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Magicman on November 25, 2012, 09:41:47 AM
My thoughts have been with Mr. Tom all morning.  I have my red shirt laid out to wear this afternoon.

Wearing mine now......

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

DanG

I'll be donning my red T when I finish downing this second pot of coffee and begin to stir around.  Tom wouldn't want me to rush into anything. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

I've did not think ahead to bring a red shirt with me to deer camp. I do however have a red solo cup. I have it here in my hand, thinking about Tom. Tom liked being up here to the Cabin. I had him up here on 3 different years after the pigroasts. If he was here, and I could complain to him about once again not getting a deer, he would explain to me why it wasn't important, and I would know he was right.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Texas Ranger on November 25, 2012, 08:51:22 AM
Happy Birthday, I hope the celestial choir sings pretty for  you.

smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

fishpharmer

Missing you, my friend.  Wearing a red shirt now in your honor.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

customsawyer

Happy birthday my good friend.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

CHARLIE

I cherish the times we had together and sure do miss being able to call Tom to wish him happy birthday, but I do talk to him daily for he is always in my thoughts.  He is 70 today and I suppose is enjoying celebrating with mom, granddaddy and grandmother.  He was always the best big brother......still is.   
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Magicman

To honor Mr. Tom's memory.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

I had the honour of spending an afternoon with Mr. Tom driving around with no wheres in particular to go other then point and go.  :)

Thanks Jeff for letting me stay at the cabin, the above memory would not of been made for me to sherish of our friend.   :-*
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

CHARLIE

Marcel, some of my best memories are when I would put Tom in my truck and we'd just go driving.  He'd take me to locations where ghost towns were and even though the area was all grown up with trees and brush, he'd tell me the history of the towns and what happened to them.  Tom did a lot of reading and studying things that interested him and he had a lot of interests.  We would also go visiting some of his old customers who also became his friends.  He always wanted me to meet them.  Sometimes they were home and sometimes not but when they were, they were always glad to see Tom and would stop whatever they were doing to visit for awhile.  And usually he knew some out of the way restaurant that served mighty good food and we'd stop for lunch.  But you're right, we never had any particular destination in mind and those trips made for great memories that I cherish.

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Chuck White

I had my red T-shirt laid out last night and I put it on at 6:00 AM this morning and will take it off just before bed-time tonight.

I went down to help my brother Jack get things set up for sugaring time in the Spring!  He is really getting impatient to try out the new sugaring arch he bought early this past Summer! 

We even took time to drive down to the camp, just in case there was a buck in the field on the way!

I never got to meet Mr Tom in person, but always felt I knew him through his knowledge and wit here on the Forum!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Nomad

I'm out of town right now and forgot to bring my one, special red t-shirt with me.  But I've been thinking about Tom all day.  Sure do miss my friend.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

bigred1951

what was toms profile name here on the forum

WDH

It was Tom.

I am wearing a red T-shirt even as I type, Mr. Tom.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I got on here late this morning,around 9. Saw Magicman's thread and went and got my red shirt on. Still have it on too.
bigred,go to the right top and click on to "In Remembrance" Tom is there with others. But the links for his profile,website and red shirt day is there too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

RynSmith

Jim_Rogers

Back in April of 2011, Tom sent me a PM about my new profile picture with my sun glasses on.
And he told me the story about how he ended up with the red shirt and beard.

Here is that PM. I think it was the last PM I ever got from him:

Hey Jim!
I'ts been awhile since I paid any attention to your profile picture.  I like the Ray Charles thing you got going on there.   :D  Seriously, I do like it.  A lot of people don't recognize the fact that Marketing has a lot to do with recognition.   I learned it a long time ago, when I grew my first beard in 1968.  All my life I had been told to dress neatly, wear suits, shine my shoes, etc.  But I never received the recognition I did for growing the beard. I was a Newspaper photographer and was just playing the game in the Sandy Shoes Festival, a cowboy themed celebration in Ft. Pierce, Fl.  After entering the beard contest and only getting a mention for originality, I found that my services were being requested as, "send that photographer with the beard."

I kept the beard and then accidentally fell into the Red T-shirt thing when started the custom sawing business.  Being a fisherman, I spent all of my spare time in Colored T-shirts as I threw cast-nets and fished with my poles. The color was usually blue, but Gael found some red ones on sale one day, and I started wearing them both.  I guess that it was an accident that I usually wore the red one to saw jobs.   When People started calling me Tom, the sawyer with the beard and red shirt, I decided that it would be a good Brand.

Your glasses kinda do that too.  Have you given much thought to recognition?  You know, like the style of hat you wear, or boots, or a kerchief tied around your neck, something that most folks won't wear but that you find comfortable.

I liked the idea of the bad joint recognition.  the pictures are good but the descriptions were lacking until someone mentioned the bolts being in-line. I actually thought at first that I was looking at a repaired joint and couldn't figure out why the bolts were lined up in the grain.  Then I realized that post and beam uses metal fasteners.

I especially like the idea of your passing on the recognition to other people. It's a difficult thing to do sometimes when ones own knowledge is his trademark, but there is also a lot of recognition to be garnered by recognizing other people's knowledge.  Not only have you introduced another person worthy of mention to your audience, but you may have gathered another knowledgeable person as a member of the forum.  Good Show! is all I can say to that.  :D

If you didn't know the story, now you do....

Jim Rogers

PS. I did spend some face to face time with Tom at a pig roast one year. He was a very nice gentleman.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WildDog

Take care up there big fella. ;) Charlie, my thoughts are with you too, sounds like you have some great memories to draw on.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

ellmoe

Charlie,
       I only knew Tom for a few years, but miss him terribly. He was a very unique individual. I can only imagine how much you miss him. Bless you.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

JohnM

Quote from: thecfarm on November 25, 2012, 09:53:03 PM
But the links for his profile,website and red shirt day is there too.

+1 Definitely make sure to checkout Tom's website, it was one of the first one's I looked at and is still a favorite.  Under 'Sawing Tips' is a page 'Some of Tom's Business Philosophy and "what works" ' (http://www.tomssaw.com/cgi-bin/tutorials/viewnews.cgi?newsid1120951917,6559,) and it contains what I consider to be a great quote "...and since my time belongs to me, I can do with it what I please." 

I wish I have been more involved with the FF while he was here, I feel like I missed out. :(

JM

PS  another quote at the end of that page  "Resist "knowing it all", Study, Study, Study."  Truer words....
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Thank You Sponsors!