iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another way to load a log.....

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 24, 2012, 04:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have a customer that brings me 4 big Cedars a week to be sawn. His logs are usually 10 inch and up and 8 foot log. He has been wrapping and hooking a cable around each one and pulling it up a ramp on to his Toyota pick-up. Getting the cable around the log while on the ground and getting the cable off the log can be a little tough sometimes.....he doesn't have a cant hook to roll the logs.
So he comes up with this idea. He runs in 2 to 4 deck screws into a ring he bought at Lowe's. The screws are 3 inches long. I watched him pull a big log up on his truck with his winch....DanG....the screws held. Then he took his drill and backed the screws out and attaches it to his next log. Looked like a good idea to me.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Sawdust Lover

Thats one of those things I wouldn't even bother trying. But somebody did and it looks like it works. I dont think I would stand under it though. Who took the picture of you Poston? :D :D

GDinMaine

Frustration and need are the hot beds for new ideas.  He should be sure to tell you if one of those screws breaks into the log. 
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Tree Feller

I'd go with skidding tongs but if it works for him, great.

The first few log loads I hauled to the sawyer, I parbuckled them onto my utility trailer using a come-a-long. Next, I got a 3000# winch from Harbor Freight and now I have a tractor with FEL. I have to say that the tractor is as handy as a pocket on a shirt...for a multitude of tasks, not just log handling.

The winch and parbuckling is still a viable option, though, if I want to load logs away from my tractor.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

valley

The holding power of a screw is amazing
Have a great day unless you have other plans !!!

Okrafarmer

Is that guy a bowl turner? That is a standard practice for attaching a bowl blank to the lathe.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Dave VH

I would of bet you that that wouldn't of worked.  That's amazing, however you know someday it will fail.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Magicman

Never, ever get behind or under any log that you are loading, no matter what method you are using.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Magicman on November 26, 2012, 09:49:26 PM
Never, ever get behind or under any log that you are loading, no matter what method you are using.

Especially a peavey.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Jemclimber

Hey Okra,
Just and FYI, screws don't hold nearly as well in end grain as they do in side grain. When using a face plate to mount a bowl it's usually to the side grain where they have holding power. If you're turning, use a chuck if you're going to do end grain work, not a face plate. If not, they can fail with bad consequences.
lt15

Al_Smith

Yeah there's a zillion ways to skin the same cat but I'd tread lightly on that method .Little log it would probabley big log iffy .

haywire woodlot

I'd be wary of wearing that pad eye when it pulls out of the end of the log!
Dave

sigidi

"handy as a pocket on a shirt" is gonna be my favorite saying ofr a little while - I like it. the idea of the eye ring is a good one too I reckon - all the other stuff is pretty much the norm when using a winch cable isnt it...? you always gotta do it with the cable letting go in mind - thx for posting Poston
Always willing to help - Allan

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I guess it all boils down to, what works for some, may not work for others.  :)

drobertson

Yea well the way I look at it is, what works use it.  Skid tongs would be a better choice if he is doing this on any regular basis for sure.  but for dragging on a trailor, if it works go for it, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

5quarter

That would only work on cedar as they are feather light compared to an oak of the same size.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Okrafarmer

Quote from: 5quarter on November 27, 2012, 08:15:16 PM
That would only work on cedar as they are feather light compared to an oak of the same size.

Another superlative? It might also work on other light-weight woods, such as tulip poplar, basswood, white pine, hemlock, etc.

It also has to do with how well that species of tree holds the screw. And how strong the screws are.  :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 5quarter on November 27, 2012, 08:15:16 PM

That's all this guy hauls is cedar.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Jemclimber on November 27, 2012, 06:16:01 AM
Hey Okra,
Just and FYI, screws don't hold nearly as well in end grain as they do in side grain. When using a face plate to mount a bowl it's usually to the side grain where they have holding power. If you're turning, use a chuck if you're going to do end grain work, not a face plate. If not, they can fail with bad consequences.

You are right. I do have a chuck, and use it whenever possible. I need mine modified so it bites a little better, though. I've had too many bowls come flying off of there.

Solomon

I have a lot of cut off nylon straps and a few wire chokers that come my way quite often, not to mention chains , grab hooks and a few running hooks now and then.   I just choke'em up and snatch'em up.   There's a lot of industry in my area and  having been here since the mid 70s I have a lot of friends and friends of friends.
  I don't say "no" to them either.   Every  privledge has it's price.  It's great having deep roots, I love my community. 8)
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Jemclimber

Hey Okra,
Does the tenon break when your bowls come off or do they just slip out?  What kind of chuck to you have? If it has dovetail jaws it may just mean getting the angle of the tenon right. I love turning. Well, I love cutting wood in any form, in the tree, making boards, making round things........ :)
lt15

captain_crunch

got more faith in these

Beings you folks got Logrite Pee Vees these should be laying around everwhere. Hooks off old ones and they are strong enough to put my 2910 Ford on its nose and not break If you wonder about cable union between hook and chain they be Mollys made out of line which when you take 3 ft strand out of cable and rewind it is as strong as original line
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Jemclimber on November 29, 2012, 07:24:30 AM
Hey Okra,
Does the tenon break when your bowls come off or do they just slip out?  What kind of chuck to you have? If it has dovetail jaws it may just mean getting the angle of the tenon right.

No, the bowl just slips out because there isn't enough "grippiosity" (or friction) holding it in there. I forget what the chuck is called now, it's in Kentucky and I'm not.

Thank You Sponsors!