iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

purchasing wood stove for 1,000 sq. ft. home

Started by glassman_48, November 23, 2012, 09:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsmpsi

I purchased my Drolet Baltic, and previously the Savannah, pipe, etc. from, dynamitebuys.com.  Their price includes shipping.  They sell several other manufacturer's stoves, as well.  Was the best price I could find, overall.  The Baltic has a 3.1 cu in firebox and will take 20" firewood.  Good place to compare/shop for stoves.  I had looked all around, up and down.  I've run it for a few years, and I have no complaints, whatsoever.  My wife likes it...easy to start a fire in.   ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

glassman_48

tcmpsi,
thanks for the note on that woodstove, that was one of the ones I really liked.  I have such a small house, and small area to put one in, so trying to find one that will fill that need too.  Local fireplace guy is coming tomorrow so we will take some measurements and see what he thinks.  thanks again,,,,,ed

Ironwood

Handy,

What color, model and $. You can PM me.

Thanks Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

glassman_48

Not sure if this is to off subject but I put an ad on our local craiglist to barter my pellet stove for a wood stove, and a guy has a weatherby 7mm mark v with a 3/9 weatherby scope in very good condition to trade for pellet stove.  I do not know much about guns.  I am waiting for a phone call from a b-in-law to see if he would be interested in purchasing the weapon and I can use that $$ for helping purchase a wood stove.  He purchased the gun 10 yrs. ago used, he doesnt know how old it is.  He also has a lennox s-260 t-top wood stove to trade.  I know enough about the lennox wood stove, but not the other.  Sorry moderator if I should not of done this. I tried to find some guidelines but had no luck finding them. 

tcsmpsi

Though I have not seen the rifle, but if itis in very good condition, and it is a Weatherby scope...depending of other particulars, at least a grand.

I have a couple customers who save up just to buy older Wby. MK Vs, and continuiously search for them on the net.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Raider Bill

I have a New Englander wood stove rated for 2000 sqft. Not impressed. It draws though a small hole in the front about 1/2 diameter which is low down and constantly gets blocked by ashes. It also has a top draft which keeps the door glass mostly clean but I find that the intake draws in and goes right up and out. I would not buy another one of this make. Calls to customer service were very disappointing. They did not return messages, and the one guy I spoke with had a attitude.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Geeg

Hi glassman_48, we just installed a Bari from hearthstone http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/wood-stoves/stove-details?product_id=27

Kind of a neat unit that swivels 180 degrees to point it in the direction you would like to see it. The price was good to but the stack cost me the same amount as the stove. Its about 500lb with soapstone, puts out lots of heat and keeps putting it out long after the fires out

Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

glassman_48

tcsmpsi,
thanks for that info, my local sporting goods dealer said about the same thing, a grand to 1200. The owner said he thought the gun was worth 1800 to 2000.  So we are probably to far off to begin with on price.  thanks again,,,,,ed

glassman_48

geeg, I could not find a price, nice looking unit.  I will try to find a dealer in our area and see if I can find prices.  I am getting a price on sat. from a local dealer with a trade in on my pellet stove.   So will be purchasing soon.  thanks ed

glassman_48

My fireplace dealer friend came over last night and made me a real good deal, offered 2500 in trade in value for the pellet stove and I purchased a lennox s-210 performer wood stove which is one stove up from the smallest stove that lennox makes.  If I could ever figure out how to take a picture and get it back on here I would post it.   Thanks for all the info again,,,,,,Ed

Geeg

Quote from: glassman_48 on December 01, 2012, 02:56:23 PM
My fireplace dealer friend came over last night and made me a real good deal, offered 2500 in trade in value for the pellet stove and I purchased a lennox s-210 performer wood stove which is one stove up from the smallest stove that lennox makes.  If I could ever figure out how to take a picture and get it back on here I would post it.   Thanks for all the info again,,,,,,Ed

Hi Ed, that looks like a good stove, says it heats 1900sq with a burn time of 8 hours. I think mine was around the $3200 mark. $2500 sounds like a pretty good trade in price, it must be fairly new?

Regards
Geeg
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

glassman_48

Geeg, My dealer is a friend of mine, he kind of owed me some favors so that is what he did.  I did not expect near that much on a trade in.  He said that same pellet stove now is nearly 3500 bucks.  We only used it a dozen times. I want a non electrical heat source is the only reason I am doing this at all.  The pellet stove was fine.  We are in a huge snow belt area and our power goes out constantly all winter from downed trees etc.  He will use that pellet stove as a display model to show customers until he gets it sold.  I added some numbers up and think he is going to just break even, not make much.  I will probably help him on the install some.  I also take some firewood related products, splitter, processor etc. to his annual pig roast every year and help him out there too.  This next year I told him that anyone that buys a wood stove from him during the pig roast I will process a trailer load of his wood into their truck/trailer or something like that as a sales tool for him.  thanks again,,,,,,Ed

Ironwood

I was just at a non-profit building material store I volunteer at, and before our meeting a "spied" a Garrison #3, unused and about 30+ years old. $150. Too cute, I was gonna build a miniature one from scratch for an "RV" of sorts I am building.  I wanted something tiny, this is the smallest plate steel/firebrick stove I have ever seen... and nicely done, it has air intakes at the rear top on each side (can plumb them for outdoor air not to steal my indoor air) which is unusual as most are on the doors. Also had the same original screen. It hs a plate steel flame deflector and 6" port directly out the back, the one in the picture must have a 90 degree fitting making it look like a vertical. If you guys ever see one for sale and need a tiny stove it is really nicely done..

This isnt mine but a pic I found online.....

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Hoss

Glassman, Sounds like a good trade. I got a fishing pole for my wife and I thought that was a good trade also. On a more serious note---I have a Country 210 in a rental house I own and the renter loves it. The key of course is dry wood. I think you will be happy with that stove.
Hoss

glassman_48

Ironwood, if you ever look for anything different, obsolete etc. my fireplace guy is always getting trade ins that he never uses, old franklin woodstoves as an example.  Let me know I will forward to him to keep an eye out.  Hoss, thanks for the input on the 210 stove, my fireplace guy has the lennox canyon the biggest stove lennox makes and they will leave that thing for 12 hours and still have enough coals the next day to start again easily.  I am going to be 60 yrs. old next summer and one of the things I really hate is our frequent power outages around here, its going to be so nice to just start a fire and not drag out the generator every time.  We always keep our candles handy this time of year.  The pellet stove was really nice to just take a chill off, but its right next to the t.v. and they arent the quietest things, we always left it on the first setting and it would keep this small home at 73 degrees when its 30 degrees outside.  Now if one of those "solar flares" comes by I will be prepared at least a little bit :)  thanks again for input,,,,,,Ed

Hoss

Glassman, We have a Country S310 (Canyon) in our basement. Our power rarely goes out but when it does we fire up that stove and and it heats our entire house. We used to use it as our sole source of heat but now we just use it as a back up. It is nice to know that you have heat come what may.
Hoss

glassman_48

Hoss,
That was the only reason I got the wood stove.  The pellet stove was real handy, just push a button and it fires right up.  With our small home it was perfect, if my stove guy wouldnt have given me such a good deal, I would of ended buying a used wood stove somewhere and sell the pellet stove outright.  This was more of a peace of mind thing.  Saturday he is coming down to install, I will try to get my neighbor to take a picture and show me how to get it online on here.  We did a video last year of me with a firewood processor that they let me borrow while mine was being built, dont have a clue how they got that on you tube.  Its like speaking a different language to me. Thanks again,,,,,Ed

Thank You Sponsors!