iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

purchasing wood stove for 1,000 sq. ft. home

Started by glassman_48, November 23, 2012, 09:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassman_48

I have a chalet about 1,000 sq. ft.  I would like a back up heat source in case electricity goes out.  The only stove I have looked at seriously is one made by lennox because I have a dealer that I trust nearby and he sells that brand.  We have a pellet stove now also made by lennox but I dont want to rely on electricity for the several days it may go out.  Thanks in advance for any info/advice

doctorb

While I am sure you can get many suggestions for different indoor wood stoves (I have a Vermont Castings and they are no longer in business), you may want to think about a small generator for the chalet.  Any wood stove can heat a house that small, but having some electricity will make your life fairly normal during power outages.  It would also allow you to consider a pellet stove, if that's your preference.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

bill m

Vermont Castings has been in business for over 35 years and is still going strong. My BIL has a pellet stove and will be getting rid of it. He is tired of listening to the noise and the maintenance.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

doctorb

Sorry about the Vermont Castings misinformation.  I thought I read that they were out of business here on the Forum.  I've had no issues with my Encore model.  I, too, prefer a wood stove to pellet.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Holmes

I have a Woodstock soapstone fireview stove. LOVE IT...This model has the catalytic combuster. It has not been any problem for me but my wood is quite dry.
I believe they are in Lebanon N.H.
Think like a farmer.

beenthere

As I understand it, Vermont Castings was bought out, and now not exactly the same as it was.
However, their website reads as if it is still "family" business going on 35 years.
http://vermontcastings.com/learn-and-inspire/about-vermont-castings/

But I now have the Defiant VC and it has been a great stove for 11 years.

Not sure what the future holds for future repair or replacement parts. Cross that bridge when the time comes.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hoss

Glassman, I would recommend a non-catalytic wood stove. Just one less thing to have a problem with. If your Lennox dealer sells Country Stoves I would recommend an S210. Country makes a good stove.
Hoss

glassman_48

thanks guys, I have a pellet stove right now for back up in case the furnace goes out.  We have power outages that last a while around here due to heavy snowfall.  I am looking for something that has no blower needs no electricity.  The country pellet stove I have sits right next to the t.v. in the living room and it is a bit noisy we also have a humidifier running constantly in the winter.  I put an ad on craiglist to trade the pellet stove and all stove pipe and hearth etc. for a good used small wood stove.  Most of the replies the stoves are either really rusted, or are to large for this small of a house.  I am reading stove reviews right now, the country dealers smallest country stove is 825.00 but the piping is more than that plus the hearth etc.  We have only used my pellet stove about a dozen times now but still when the power goes out I have to go and get the generator going and it is a pain.  thanks again,,,,,,ed

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

glassman_48

been there, what kind of stove is that one?  Is that at your home?  Man that is a good looking stove. I just went to vermont castings site.  Reading up on catalytic vs. non catalytic etc.  I have a call into my local dealer to see if there country stove has a blower on it.  Does the hearth have to be raised up off the floor at all to meet code?  That is very similar to what I want, I just dont have a lot of room for a hearth.  The hearth under my pellet stove is 3 foot by 3 foot and we have just enough room to walk between the hearth and the couch to get upstairs.  My dealer is swamped right now he is willing to sell me the stove pipe at near cost to help.  I have done him many favors selling woodstove glass to him from my glass shop, so want to take advantage of that too.  I am hoping he finds someone that wants a nice pellet stove then I can make a deal direct with him so he can make a little money too.   thanks again,,,,,,,ed

glassman_48

hoss,
I was looking at country s-160 striker, they said its their best selling stove, non catalytic and one of the lowest emmisions for a non catalytic stoves on the market. They want $825.00 for that stove at my dealer.

beenthere

ed
That is my Vermont Castings Defiant. The floor has a thin layer of cement board over the sheathing plywood with the tile on that. About 3/4" thick total. There is an optional fan for moving warm air away from the stove, but I don't have it and don't feel a need for it with the ceiling fans in this 24 x 30 room with cathedral ceiling.
It heats fine without using the catalytic converter, but uses a lot less wood if using the converter. Going on its 12th year with no problems. I don't burn anything in it that they say might mess up the converter.
The VC site has a manual that will give the suggested spacings needed to meet code.
south central Wisconsin

thurlow

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

tcsmpsi

I've run traditional cast iron woodstoves of several different types for about 35 years.  A few years ago, I decided to get a new stove.  I looked and searched and researched, oh, you know, about the standard fortyleven times.  What I have now, is not cast iron.  It is steel, 5/16" with heat shrouds on the back and sides (can be mounted much closer to combustibles).  It is of the catalytic, EPA, mobile home certified.  It does have a blower, but I don't use it.  Oh, and it does have a cast iron/glass door.  The baffles are stainless steel, and I got a model that has an internal (operated from a handle outside the stove) 'damper' which is used to start the fire (no smoke in the house), but I also wanted it that way in case, someday, the catalytic craters.  I like that it self cleans the glass....that just amazes me.   :D

It is a Drolet, Baltic model, with a LARGE ash pan drawer.  It is made in Canada.  I'm into the fourth season with it, and it is marvelous in all regard, for us.  I was skeptical of the catalytic, but not any more.  My place is pretty sprawled out, with small rooms and cubbyholes a here and there.  It heats it swell.  Wood has been my primary heat source for those last 35 years or so.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

glassman_48

The hearthstone site was interesting reading especially about the soapstone.  The drolet site had all prices on their site which is something I have always liked.  I definitely am getting an education.  I heated a home 35 years ago with a wood stove that opened from the top or front we had it hooked up in the basement with a magic heat on it.  I never had to even tie it into the furnace because we got so much heat on the floor it was amazing.  Reading up on this is a lot of fun for me, we just got 6" of snow last night so this makes the evening go by quicker.  Thank you for all the input,,,,ed

Hoss

Glassman, The Country S160 is a good stove. The 160 stands for a 1.6 cubic foot firebox. The S210 is a 2.1 cubic foot firebox. The 160 also just happens to only put out 1.6 grams per hour of particulate matter---for years the cleanest burning stove in the US. The 210 allows a bit bigger log. I have always liked the idea of building a bigger fire when I want to. Both take the same blower, but I would try it first without the blower---it will part your hair and they are pretty expensive. I would stick with a non-cat stove. The only reason stoves have a cat is because they can not pass EPA emission standards with out one. They do nothing to help the efficiency. The size of the hearth pad is spelled out in the owners manual---possibly on line. All hearth pads are supposed to extend out in front of the stove the length of the open door. Just my thoughts.
Best of luck with your purchase.
Hoss

brendonv

I've got a Vermont Castings Vigilant, sold front doors from the mid 80's.  My first floor is about 1,000 square feet and I have a tight little stair case the heat wonders up to the bedroom.  We put it on a large chunk of granite, looks great.  No fans yet, and the first floor has gotten up to 89 degrees, but usually is around 75.   :D

They are great stoves.  Get the extra shrouding if it's offered as it will let you run closer tolerances to combustibles.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

glassman_48

Hoss, I noticed the 160 has a 6 hour burn time while the 210 is 8 hours and the overall stove size is not that much bigger.  The 210 is probably a better choice, they also have a demo unit there that they use thats about 3 years old.  Brendon thanks for that info that makes me think the stove will heat my upstairs bedroom easily too.  This is a good forum for getting unbiased info its not like going to a store with a pushy salesman :)   thanks again,,,,,,ed

brendonv

They say you need two holes in the ceiling to efficiently heat the upstairs.  One for the hot air to rise, and one to push the cold air down.

I do not have this, but the upstairs does stay comfortable.  One room is closed off, but like I said it finds it's way into the main room.

I plan on cutting holes, though not high on priority right now.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

glassman_48

Brendon,
My chalet has the open cathedral ceiling then it is like a loft type bedroom and full bath upstairs, I have a ceiling fan in the living room too.  I think the heat will be moved around easily with that fan.  We had a total of 12" of snow in last 2 days, I am hoping we get a warm streak to clear the roof off before installation begins.  thanks again for your input,,,,,ed

proteus

i have a 1700 sq ft ranch and just purchased a JOTUL (non cad). For us the 'OSLO' was the perfect size but they do make a smaller one. GREAT stove. Here is their web site if you want to check them out.http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/
Greg

glassman_48

proteus,
thanks for the site, I went there already, I went to a site that reviews stoves, and the 4 top ones seemed to be (in no particular order individual reviews with up to 5 star ratings) jotul, blaze king, buck stove, quadrafire.  There were lots of other brands with 5 star ratings also, but these brands seemed to have the most overall 5 star ratings. 

Ironwood

I too have Vermont Castings Definant, 14 year and counting. Used it for years as primary heat, now with little kids I turn on the thermostat. It is mostly for emergency use. It has a catalytic, never had an issue, and can be run without it. Our place is 1300 sq.ft very box like two story, heat it like a champ.

If and one needs a heat shield pan for the bottom/back (decreases clearences) I somehow ended up with a spare...... ::)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

glassman_48

Ironwood, long time between posts for me.  On a side note, I contacted your friends, havent heard back yet.  I will probably give them another reminder call.  I went to a wood stove review site and the biggest complaint about vermont castings was they couldnt get parts in a timely matter.  A couple of companies in this industry got bought out.  Not sure if that makes parts a problem or not.  I know one of the things they urged for vermont products was to make sure you purchased from a local dealer and parts wouldnt be an issue.  We now have over a foot of snow here and a warming trend, if I can get the snow off the roof it would be much easier to get a chimney in.  I am to old to fight the roof pitch and the snow.  My buddy is coming tonight to look things over then I will make a decision.  Thanks for all the input all,,,,,,,,ed

Handy Andy

I bought a new Vermont Castings Defiant non catalytic vesion, and just had a terrible time with it, wound up buying a new Drolet at Menards, and it works fine, just not as efficient.  My problem according to the tech at VC was that I have a chimney on the outside of the house, and it gets cold from the outside and kills the draw on the stove. They said it is much better to put pipe up through the house on the inside, and it is easier to get metal hot than masonry. Looks like Beenthere's pipe goes straight up.  Mine went up about 2 1/2 ' feet and then horizontal to the chimney.  They said horizontal is a no no. Only go 45 degrees.   Anyway, still have the VC Defiant if somebody wants to buy it from me.  Big discount.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Thank You Sponsors!