iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: Serious but Just Dumb stuff

Started by DanG, March 11, 2004, 08:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Thanks, Tom!  I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who wonder's about that. 8) 8)

I've also noticed, at every entry point to our State, there is a sign with a picture of an airplane on it.  The text of the sign says, "Speed detected with detection devices."  Well NO S**T!!  :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Why do you suppose warnings of reduced speed limits are worded "Reduced speed ahead" rather than "Reduce speed ahead".  That extra "d" must make the sign cost more and I think it is border-line bad grammar too.  It sounds as if "speed" is a noun ....a something....(??)  Have you ever seen a speed?  I wonder what a reduced one would look like?  

I think I would rather be told to take my foot off of the excelerator with a sign that warns "Reduce speed" and save the cost of the "D" as well as the "ahead" part.

If they are trying to warn of a Reduced Speed Limit Zone, then they should be explicit about what the object of the verb is to be.  I used to spend long moments on English tests trying to get this right, and now, I'm not sure what is right or wrong  :P......but, something about this really bothers me.  ???  What education is required to pen hi-way signs, ....I wonder. :D

Furby

I guess you'll have to ask the guys in jail...........oh wait, that's license plates, never mind.  :D ;D

old3dogg

If you wanna work for the DOT I think all you have to do is show up  a learn how to lean on a shovel.
I have seen "speed heads" way back in high school.
I think reduced speed was either the cheap stuff or when the pusher got busted. :D :D :D

wiam

Actually in VT there is a sign shop in a state prison.  No I don't know this because I lived there, just visited.   ::) ::) Don't ask.

William

CHARLIE

You know what might be fun?  Pen a letter to Jeb and explain the problem and ask him why.  I mean, you'd think the government would want to set an example of good education. :P    Maybe a letter to the editor of the paper in Tallahassee would get their attention.  Just explain the problem and politely request and explanation.  Nothing much like a humerous but serious letter to bring peoples attention to something. ;D

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

Well, I don't think we should bother Jeb with such trivialities, what with the election coming up, and all. ::)   And I don't think writing to the Tallahassee paper would help, as nobody there can write, so I'm not sure they can read, either.

What really disturbs me, though, if I might climb upon the soapbox for a moment, is what they are doing, and not doing along I-10.  There are areas where the shoulders drop off at about a 45 degree slope, going right into the trees! ::) ::)  There are no guard rails, so, if you run off the road, you DIE!  These places are harvesting about 6 lives per year, in a 20 mile stretch!  What are the state and federal DOT doing?  They are pruning limbs from these 30 year-old Slash pines to improve the view of the countryside. They are also digging up the concrete ditch linings and replacing them with new concrete ditch linings, exactly like the old ones. ???  They are also digging up the grass on the shoulders and medians, and replacing it with new grass, exactly like the old grass. ??? ???  A couple of years ago, they cut off all the bridge railings and replaced them with the new ones that you can't see through.  I NEVER knew of anyone killed by the old bridge railings, nor did I ever know of any vehicles going through or over them. Why are they spending millions on these meaningless projects, while ignoring the killer trees and unguarded dropoffs?  Your guess is as good as mine. :-/
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

old3dogg

I always liked "slow children playing"
Is it their fault their slow? :D

Ron Wenrich

There's also the cautionary sign of "Caution: Men at Work" or "Men Working".  Being that's its DOT, that usually slows traffic, since most people don't believe it.  Most often it should be "Caution: Man at Work - Others Watching".   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Norwiscutter

In michigan they have signs that say " Do Not Pass When Opposing Traffic Is Present"   :o
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

old3dogg

How about watch children?
How hard is it to drive when your trying to watch the kids in the back seat?! ;D

Haytrader

Here we have signs saying......
Watch for ice on bridge
Seems silly to watch for it in the summer.

;)

Heck, there are a lot of times I have watched for it in the winter and haven't seen it.

::)
Haytrader

Stan

QuoteWell, I don't think we should bother Jeb with such trivialities, what with the election coming up, and all. ::)   And I don't think writing to the Tallahassee paper would help, as nobody there can write, so I'm not sure they can read, either.

They only teach decoding in school nowadays. To teach reading you have to teach subjects that allow the student to understand what the words mean.  >:(
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

SawBilly

We got signs that say

"road closed when under water"

???
I guess it is for our occasional intercostal submairiner to keep them from hitting parked cars or something

Ron Wenrich

How about "Fine for Littering".  I always thought littering was against the law.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

I saw a $250 fine sign on an invalid parking space today.  Now that's pretty fine. :D

By the way.....how do you pronounce "invalid"?  That space looked ok to me. ;D

Do you realize that folks pay $30 or more to have an "invalid" sticker on their tag here?   Man, if someone said I was invalid, I'd slap him up side the head. :-/  Heck, I got a birth certificate. ;D :D

Swede

Turning out to a road I often can se a 90-sign after 100 meters. After 100 meters more there is a 70-sign!
I cant understand why that 90-signs are there. If I had a car accelerating 0-90 in 100 meters I wouldn´t see ANY signs.

Did you get that a 90-sign says max. speed 90 km/h? :)
1 km = 0,6214 mile /1 mile =1,609km.
1 meter = 3,2808 feet/ 1 feet = 0,3048 meter
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Keystone

Guess I'll add my 2 cents worth to this....alot of little towns around here (southcentral Pa.) have signs saying..."speed electrically enforced"....huh? What, if they catch you speeding, they give you a jolt of juice to teach ya a lesson or sumptin'? I think it was supposed to say "electronically"....LOL Another one....."Hidden driveway ahead".....LOL again. Why would someone hide a driveway? And even if they wanted to, who wants a sign telling eveyone where it is that you hid it? Points to ponder for you all.  :D
"Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality"

pappy

What's dat up duh road   A....Head  ;D

Stop!!!  A....Head
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

old3dogg

Here in Pa they put up these signs that yell at you while driving.
"slow down!save a life!"
"buckle up next million miles"
My favorite is.
"high dui crash area"
Why do I need to know this?

Jeff

There as a sign just before my dads driveway that said, ( and it was broken up like this)

Blind
Drive
Way Ahead

I was always looking for a guy with a cane.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fabiola

Watch for ice on bridgeWhen I was in Canada I was always worry about that one!
And even during summer I wondered if would have any snow on the roads...
Fabíola Vieira
Forestry Engineer
Brasil

Paul_H

Tom,
I saw this sign on the gravel road to where I work and thought I'd take a picture of it and show you that you're not the only one that is irritated by the extra letters.(I just took the pic,I did not touch it)

And that should validate your concerns over wordy signs :D
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Tom

Ha!  That's one way to handle it. :D

SwampDonkey

Old3dogg:

With regard to your first reply to this thread....

Just yesterday a pickup load of DOT guys in a FORD 4 door crew cab pulls up to the cross road, which begins across the road from my drive. Two get out, pick up a shovel each out of the bed of the pickup. They procede to walk to the road edge and prop up their shovels for a good lean. Then the driver uses the pickup as a steam roller and rocks back and forth over a frost heave to pack it down firm. One guy walks over to the culvert and looks for a minute, the other guy walks across the main road and into the ditch and walks along for 100 feet, then back to the pickup. The 2 hop back in the pickup, they all drive up the road for 5 minutes, then back down the road and on their way to the shop. On my road there is only 1 car an hour for traffic. :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!