iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Frank co planer

Started by Cedar Savage, November 22, 2012, 05:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedar Savage

I stopped to look at a forklift today, & the guy had an 1898 Frank co 22 inch planer made in Buffalo NY. It had a 15 hp electric motor running it. Anyone know anything about them?
Is it feasable to run something this old, or is it a just museum piece? The guy was asking $500 fot it....
Thanks
   Cedar Savage....
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

sealark37

It all depends upon the modifications that have been done over the years to the machine.  If it still has the older square spindle and no belt guards, you will run into trouble with the local safety inspector.  However, if you simply set it up and use it yourself, who will ever know?      Regards, Clark

Bru

Take a look at the OWWM.org and owwm.com sites--they have a lot of great info on old woodworking machinery.  Chances are that somebody over there can tell you all about how to refurbish it and have the equivalent of a $10K new one.

learner

I have NO idea who made it but we modified it to take modern bearings and use an electric motor.  Should have it up and running in the next two days at an expense of just $120, some time and welding.

I'll try to post pics tomorrow of how it looks now.  You just can't beat those good old machines.  Cedar Savage, can you post pics of the one you looked at?  If it's allready been modified to run on electric then it must work. 
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Thank You Sponsors!