iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

info and ideas on small hydraulic log loaders

Started by logman81, November 21, 2012, 11:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

I have been seeing the increasing need for a small hydraulic log loader to put on my 10,00lb equipment trailer to move small amounts of logs from tree jobs and house lots. So far I have fabbed and install log stakes and a headboard on the trailer. I can load logs on the trailer with my tractor but can't unload them once I get to where they are to be off loaded and stacked. I have looked at many brands on line like JMS, KELSA, HARDY, and others to get some ideas on how I should build one. I do plan on buying the grapple and rotator, slewing rack and pinion and joystick control valve and the rest I will fabb myself. I will use a small gas engine probaly 13hp and a single stage pump around 6gpm? I want it to be self contained that way I don't need to hook it to a seperate power supply to use it. I would like to know if any one would be willing to help me figure out what type and size of steel should I use to contruct the two boom parts? Seems to me in the pictures that most use  somthing like 4x4 square tubing? No sure on wall thickness maybe 1/4''? If any one is willing to measure the tubing used on thiers it would help alot. I plan on having around a 1500lb  lift capacity at full reach 17' Just trying to figure out what I will need before I start this long awaited project. ;D
Precision Firewood & Logging

mad murdock

4x4 tube may be ok for the stick boom, but I think you will want to look at the engineering stress tables for different thicknesses of steel to see what thinckness will work best for your design lift.  The main boom you will probably want to go bigger than the stick boom, maybe 4x6 or 6x6?, then you will have to build a mast and frame to mount it all to, unless you find an old loader and spruce it up, which IMO would be a faster way to get things going than fabbing from scratch.  Gafner made some nice loaders of which you speak, they mounted them on the back of cats, and on drays.  They were smaller though, mostly 14 foot or so reach.  It would be pretty easy to get an older loader and modify the stick boom with an "etend a boom" feature, that way you could lengthen if you needed, but use it shorter as well. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

york

Hi,if i were you i would take in a few forestry shows and take your camera-i have a farmi 90j-give me some time and i`ll speck it out for you.....albert
Albert

brendonv

How far are you from zip code 06478?

You can come take measurements from mine.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

bill m

4x4 x 1/4 wall is nowhere near strong enough to pick 1500 at full reach. You can find load charts for different loaders on line. Find one with the reach and lift capacity that you are looking for and then try to go see one. That way you can get measurements for what steel is required.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

logman81

Thanks mad murdock, I think you may be right on going a little bigger on the main boom. I think I need to find a light weight high strength steel. I want to be able to have good lift capacity but also keep the weight done. But it also needs to be easy to weld with a mig.

logman81

I have been to a few foresty shows, but forgot my camra both times! Any specs would be welcome. I cheked on the zip code it's about two hours from me so not to bad. The JMS design is the one I'm most interested in. I may just take you up on that offer.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

Dave VH

Logman, I'm at the same place.  I have started modifying my trailer to self-load, and unload logs.  I learned alot of youtube.  I also ordered an industrial hydraulic manual, that has really taught me alot.  I thought that I understood hydraulics fairly well, but this shows you how to do the math properly.  The manual shows you exactly how much force is put on, so you know how to properly place your brackets, and therefor size your steel.  Good luck
I cut it twice and it's still too short

logman81

Thanks for the info Dave, and good luck with your project.

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ed_K

My JMS was originally spected for 900# at 9' reach.It was hard to load even an 8' x 18" pine log. When I decided to extend both main and stick booms I found they where 3/16 thick.The main is 4x6 and the stick is 2x4.they have been modified to 12'8" reach.I used 3/16 thick stock to extend but used 1/4" plate to strengthen them.I also had to increase the piston sizes to to get the lift.
It works but I don't think it will last.If I do need to beef it up more,I'll probbly look for a used hiab or the likes .
Ed K

logman81

Thanks Ed k, I think I will have to go a little heavyer than I origanaly thought. I'm thinking about using ASTM 500 grade c square tubing. I think for the main boom 6x6 3/8 wall and for the stick 4x4 3/8 wall and 3/8 plate for brackets and such. I think a 4" cylinder with 2" rod for main boom and 3.5" for the stick boom but nothing is set in stone!

mad murdock

Another way to strengthen that I have seen on loaders I have used is diamond plates welded on to the sides around high stress areas
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

brendonv

Just let me know, here on weekends and some week days.

www.VorioTree.com

rick f

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

snowstorm

a factory built loader will not be built from mild steel . there is a gafnerwith trailer on uncle henrys.

logman81

I will let you know brendon, weekends are best for me. Rick f thanks for the link, I have been following that thread for some time now. Very close to the same design as what I plan to build. I'm a little concerned about the wall thickness he is using. 3/16 seems to lite for a lift capacity of 1200 at full reach I guess he will find out once he trys it for the first time. I want mine to beable to lift 1500 and last so I'm going to over build it a little. I also thinking that I will put a seat and control valve on the loader itself and swing with it much like the loaders on log trucks.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

For what it's worth, I'd look into an old cable jammer loader. There was a lot of wood moved around here with those back in the day. The winch function would come in real handy, and you could build one way cheaper than a hydraulic loader.
Too many irons in the fire

logman81

Thanks cfarm and barbender, But I would rather build a loader to my needs that way it is exactly what I want. I know it wont be cheap, but it will be more fun to build from scratch. Thier won't be all that much fab work, mostly the boom and base that sits on the trailer. Most of it will be made of square heavy wall tubing includind the telescopic stabilizers. I have alot of experiance with fabrication so it should go smooth.

logman81

Here is the trailer that I plan to put the log loader on.

Ed_K

That will work,I had my loader on a boat trailer originally.
Ed K

brendonv

Thats nice.  Will you loose the hauling capabilities?  The loader doesn't fold out of the way all that well.  So think about that.

I do like deck overs a bit better, but use what you have obviously.

www.VorioTree.com

logman81

Thanks, I don't think any hauling capability will be lost. I will just rest the stick boom on top of the tractor roll bar when hauling it. I to like the deck over better but I will build the base so it can be bolted and unbolted to diffrent trailers.

bill m

You will need to reinforce the front of your trailer before you mount a loader on there. The front of a trailer like that is not made to handle any kind of weight. I have repaired a few that were broken from having too much weight on the front.

logman81

I was planning on doing that any suggestions? I was thinking about using u channel of the same size and boxing the tonge in.

bill m

It needs to be reinforced from the hitch back to the middle of the axle.

lumberjack48

you need something like this, real light, but does the job. You can build a cable loader out of a used rear end. I worked for a guy that had one mounted on the back of a little JD cat. He pulled a dray behind the cat. I'm trying to find a pic of one, real simple set up, but very efficient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Q_nXfjzW8&feature=related
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Ed_K

There's a couple on Richard's Machinery.com in the fowarder link.
Ed K

lumberjack48

Heres a pic of an cable jammer, they were used around here up to the 50's, 60's and early 70's on skidding equipment and trucks.                                 

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

lumberjack48

This is what my father and me used in the 60's, cat and knuckle boom dray like this. Everything was sawed up an piled in the woods by hand, strip cutting. I did a lot of strip cutting before buying a pole skidder in 68.

I ran in to this photo, reminded me of ,my uncle's Ole 1947 K-IH, he had a new 1959 tandem IH with a new hyd, cable Ramey loader he loaded with. I think its a little over loaded.

snowstorm

logman81

Thanks for all the good info, but I'm going to have to put this on hold for a bit to fix my skidder.

thecfarm

Nice pictures lumberjack. Can you put them here too?

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,13313.0.html

That red truck,'48 Ford? Seems like those poor old trucks were all over loaded.

Thank You Sponsors!