iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 51 chain tensioning?

Started by RobNH, November 20, 2012, 07:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobNH

I've got a Husky 51, about 16 years old.  I've used it for felling trees around the house and cutting up firewood. It has been great but lately, the chain tension doesn't seem to hold well.
I can adjust the chain tension, and then tighten down the side nuts but, after awhile the chain develops a "turkey neck".
Do I need to replace the tension pin assembly?
Not sure how to fix it ... most annoying!

Thx,
Rob

NCFarmboy

Probably not.  Check clutch cover where the bar nuts hit.  The alum squares may be pushing out of the cover allows bar to get loose quickly.  This is usually caused by overtightening the bar nuts.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

lumberjack48

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

chipsfly09

If you have checked what has been suggested above-- it may be as simple as keeping the tip of the bar elevated- on a block of wood or something- while you are tightening the cover nuts (after you have adjusted the chain tension)- this is particularly helpful I have found,the longer the bar you are running.  BTW the 51 is a great saw.

lumberjack48

Yes, always hold the end of the bar up when tightening chain and bar nuts.

This comes so automatic a guy things everybody knows your supposed to, but they don't.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

HolmenTree

I learned a neat little trick recently how to tension a chain. With the saw sitting on the ground loosen the bar nuts 1 turn, roll the saw over upside down, now the bar falls to the upright position, tighten up the loose chain until it touchs the bar rails, tighten up nuts ,pickup saw and your good to go.

In my close to 40 yrs running a saw I have always tensioned my chain with the bar nose on the ground and the powerhead against my leg, in this position the bar is always in the upward position while I'm loosing /tightening the nuts and adjustment screw. But I never thought anything about the chain getting dull or dirt on it every time I did this.
Just rolling the saw on it's back and retensioning is a no brainer good idea.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

Then too over the years say a saw might  have  originally had shoulder/flange  nuts,they got lost and replaced with a regular hex nut .

Of course that works but given enough time the hex nuts chew into the aluminum .A flange nut probabley would fix the problem. A washer ,maybe a stack of washers might do it .Some of the studs get so worn out you often need to get farther out on the stud to find good threads .

Thank You Sponsors!