iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who has built their own rustic doors?????

Started by eddiebo, November 20, 2012, 06:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddiebo

If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Ironwood

Thanks, fun to work with folks who let you "run" with something. The bottoms even flip up to clear the stone outside (fella has a wheel chair to get thru the door)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Stephen1

Nice doors guys, I am sneaking in here to get some ideas, for the cabin sauna and washroom.
N
Ironwood, stunning doors, not sure if they will work in my washroom though...
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

MotorSeven

Quote from: thecfarm on November 21, 2012, 08:22:34 AM
motorSeven,how about some more pictures, farther back this time,both inside and out.     That looks like quite the building. It's quite the door.   ;D
I need to build a door for the wife's Veggie Shack.

Sorry Cfarm....I missed your post.

Here are some more pic's. The porthole has a story, sometime around 1978(I was a young whippersnapper) a co-worker mentioned he was re-doing a cabin cruiser & had removed two portholes. The glass had been shot (one each) with a BB gun so he was not going to re-use them. It peaked my interest so I said bring 'em in...he did and gave them to me. They were so cool that I said back then, "someday one of these are going in the front door of the house I am going to build". I gave one away to a friend about 15 years ago that really wanted it. The other has followed me from Louisiana to Texas to Florida to Tennessee & even survived a divorce.  I ordered new glass, seals and other parts, & wire brushed the bronze.

So 34 years later I was building my cedar log home. I sawed up a hickory into a 11x11ish cant 2 years before I started my house build and let it air dry in a shed. Made a mistake then as I now know I should have cut it in 2" boards back then & sticker-ed them. Anyway, I build the door, installed the porthole and those boards that were in the middle of that cant kept drying. Now the door has a little "character"  ;) A buddy of mine has a forge and made the hinges for it FOC....they are awesome. Everyone that closed the thing slams it because it glides so easily and has so much weight. The latch came off ebay and is a repro of something from the 1800's...very well done.

So in the end I upheld a 34 year promise ;D

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jueston

the only part that amazes me is that is survived the divorce....   :D but that is an amazing door, and the realization of a dream you had for a long time.... 8)

MotorSeven

Ha, yeah, you would not believe the stuff I had to sell off/dump......for example two full sets of scuba gear & six tanks.....$50. But I was not letting go of that porthole :D
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

jueston

Quote from: MotorSeven on January 11, 2013, 09:58:57 AM
two full sets of scuba gear & six tanks.....$50

wow.... if that was newer stuff the purchase price must have been close to $4-5,000..... maybe more.... but lets keep looking at the bright side.... the porthole survived....  :)

markd

Boy, good job all of you, some real nice doors, those church doors made me want to go to church! MarkD
markd

Dakota

Great story and beautiful door.  I'm going to show this to my wife to justify all the "treasures" I have stowed away, waiting for a project.
Dave Rinker

thecfarm

MotorSeven,a very nice story. Thank you.
And to all the others door poster pictured,WOW!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Texas Ranger

My shop during door making, one on the table, one leaner.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jim_Rogers

I saw this door at my client's house in GA recently.

It was to a wine cellar that he made in his basement:

I'm sorry the picture is so dark. I'm not sure if he made the round top door or if he bought it.

Next to the door, is this unique table, that you can see part of in the picture:

Very nice live edge table top.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WDH

thecfarm

WDH is back. I hope you are feeling better.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MotorSeven

Ironwood those church doors are wickedly cool....!
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have never read anything in the Timber Framing section, because I don't do this kind of work.
I got bored with TV and decided to do some reading in here.
I am not picking out 1 person at all but I will tell all you guys as a whole, these are some of the prettiest handmade doors I have ever seen in my life.

Everyone of you have been blessed with a talent.  smiley_thumbsup

Now if you could put it in a bottle and sell it, I'll take a case.  :D

Very Nice work Guys!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

shelbycharger400

QuoteGreat story and beautiful door.  I'm going to show this to my wife to justify all the "treasures" I have stowed away, waiting for a project.

Told my wife to be that line, then said it was in reference to a porthole from a boat.

I got a stare , and I laughed.  :D     LOTs of hidden treasures in the shed and garage.

scsmith42

Reid, your craftsmanship never ceases to amaze me!

One question - what are the other metal "heads" visible in the doors?  Are those RR spikes or something different?
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Texas Ranger

Finally found the set of 4x8 double doors built on custom order.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

jueston

WDH

scsmith42

TR - those are way cool!  What type of wood and how did you finish it?
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!