iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Selling Cedar trees in east Texas.

Started by GraceNmercy, November 20, 2012, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

learner

;D Point Well taken OF!  My humble apologies Ryn. 
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

kderby

You are certainly being ladies and gentlemen.  I was enjoying the discussion because they were honest questions and good answers.  I mill a similar tree and am very interested in log cost, criteria and availability.  Good to see someone step into our community and be treated well.  Thank you for the information about how things work in your neck of the woods.

I hope all of you stick around and find us as entertaining as we sometimes find ourselves (Speak Yooper?  You will learn.)

Kderby

Migal

Din't have time to read the post but I have a sawmill in Hawkin TX that does cedar on the fifty thats fifty fuel fifty blades and fifty labor email me if interested. Migal
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

LA_DeMonico

@Learner, I see that you've mentioned a mill in Elkhart and another in Rusk but can you tell me where your mill is located?

Quote from: learner on November 24, 2012, 09:54:38 PM
There is also a mill in Elkhart, TX that deals mainly in Cedar.
I imagine the mill in Rusk that Texas Ranger is talking about is Wilcox. They deal in cedar, mesquite and cypress mainly.
While the mill in Elkhart is small and the one in Rusk is larger, they are both well established reputable sawmills.

As your timber is still standing you would be better off selling by weight.  The greener the heavier.  I sent you an e-mail so you know you have at least One interested party.  The main problem is getting the timber to a mill.  A forestry consultant can get you the best price for it but you still have to consider the logging and transportation costs.
All these figure in to the amount paid when you sell the timber.  I'm not certain what the rates are right now because I'm just the sawyer at our mill.  The last I heard was around $26 per ton standing, $56 per ton if picked up at the logging site and $80 per ton delivered to the mill.

learner

Wellcome to the Forestry Forum LA_DeMonico.  We are located by the NASA Columbia Scientific Balloon Facility outside of Palestine, Tx.  If you'll click on the little man at the bottom left it will show you my profile and a map of just where we are located.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum,    LA_DeMonico.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jtonn

It's been a while since this topic was last active, but thought I'd try to resurrect. I'm looking to sell about 20-30 cedar logs from my ranch about 10 miles east of Fairfield TX. The cedars succumbed to the drought of 2011/2012 and have been stacked for a few years. Their branches are trimmed off. Most are 1 to 1 and 1/2 feet in diameter, although a couple are much wider. Does anyone know of a mill somewhere near the Fairfield/Palestine area that would be willing to buy them? I called the Freestone County ag-extension agent, but didn't receive much help, so I thought I'd try posting here. Unfortunately, the upload photos feature doesn't seem to be working.

TKehl

Lengths and diameter on the small end will be most important.  Cedar can have a lot of taper, so diameter on big end doesn't really give much info.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

jtonn

Thanks, TKehl. My guesstimate was based upon the diameter, once past the trunk flare. From previous comments, I understand that anything less than 8" diameter at the tip is less desirable. However, some of the bases might be suitable for slabbing if anyone is doing that.

running elk

I have a sawmill near Tyler and buy cedar logs all the time. The price varies low end I pay 5 dollars a log. The high end is 10 dollars per log. That is for a 10 foot log. Most people give them to me to have them removed from their property. I would be interested in them if they are still available.

Thanks

Tommy

running elk

To put it into tons that going to be 20 dollars per ton is what I currently pay. That is me cutting them down and him loading them onto my trailer. Not sure this helps but maybe give you some frame of reference.

jtonn

I've read though the topic about how to post photos and here are some images of the stack of logs:

I question whether our front-end loader can safely lift some of the larger logs onto a trailer, so that is a consideration for someone wishing to purchase them.

timberking

If they have been sitting, weight won't be an issue. Hard to get a payload on just off the stump. We come across a load every now and then.  American Wood Fiber at Marshall buys some for shavings.  Saterwhite Lumber in Longview has advertised for logs.

jtonn

I was down over the weekend and confirmed that the majority of the logs are at least 1' in diameter once past the trunk flare. Some of the longer ones (25-30' in length) might need to be trimmed at the tip to get to an 8" tip diameter. They have been stacked for a couple of years, so they are dry.

mike_belben

My bobcat 742 is no powerhouse and will pick that up no problem (other than dropping them for lack of balance) so im guessing your loader ought to.
Praise The Lord

DaHo

Quote from: running elk on November 01, 2017, 04:07:06 PM
I have a sawmill near Tyler and buy cedar logs all the time. The price varies low end I pay 5 dollars a log. The high end is 10 dollars per log. That is for a 10 foot log. Most people give them to me to have them removed from their property. I would be interested in them if they are still available.

Thanks

Tommy
Tommy, Are you still buying cedar? 

moodnacreek

Quote from: learner on November 24, 2012, 11:53:52 PM
Well okrafarmer I have 15 32' green cedar logs in my yard right now.   They totalled 7 tons at $80 per ton so 560 for the logs.  Accordinging to the international scale, I have about 1902 board feet.
So that's about 271bf per ton. If I'm figuring this right then that's around $3 a board foot.
$560 for 1900bd. ft. of cedar is not much. About half of what I pay for 8" tip up to 12" tip. after that 
I pay $750 M , [.75 cents board foot international.]

Thank You Sponsors!