iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New GPS

Started by Magicman, November 19, 2012, 04:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

We have been using older Garmin Etrex units, but the newer units are really exciting.  The newer maps are eye popping, plus Birds Eye View is now available.  REI has a special deal on the Etrex 30 Bundle, so I have one on the way.  Also available for Colorado is the 24K TOPO maps that show NF and private land boundaries.

Plus, I need one to find sawjob locations.....   That's my story and I'm sticking with it.    ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

I presume you use a hand-held model for hunting.  Is the screen large enough to use in the car as well?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

That unit is popular with bicyclist, but I would not want one for an auto because they are set up differently for marking waypoints, tracking, and backtracking.  The auto unit would not be suitable for field use. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I use the Apple 4s for Phone and GPS. When I have a forest fire, I just ask the phone how to get there and a voice tells me turn by turn how to get to my fire.

If I'm in the deer stand and I have many.....my wife can look on my Apple computer and see if I have left the stand, if I'm later than usual getting home.

Marking way points are really easy too.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Shotgun

How does your phone know where the fire is?  Come on.      :D
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

doctorb

How does your wife track your iPhone?  I am sure that you just leave it up in the stand, sneak off, and do other stuff without her becoming aware.  I just know it. ;) :D

Seriously, what app do you have that allows her to track the phone?

Does anybody have a strong recommendation for a new auto GPS unit.  I need a new one.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

beenthere

Quote from: Shotgun on November 19, 2012, 07:01:56 PM
How does your phone know where the fire is?  Come on.      :D

Just click location before lighting the match.   ;D

If the phone GPS is turned on, and photos are taken then the GPS location is tacked on to the photo info.
Guess there are those who find pics emailed around, like on facebook, and can go to that location for devilish deeds.

Also, Ipads and Iphones have been located using the Apps for such things.

doctorb
I've been happy with our Garmin that is 5 yrs old, but there are better ones out today that have lifetime map upgrades.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doctorb

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Oh ya'll just sharpen than a tac tonight.  :D

On an Apple device, You can use i cloud. Once your i cloud is set up on all devices, if I lose my phone or my phone is stolen, it will post a beacon on the satellite map on my computer. i can carry my computer with me as I track it and if someone has stolen it, I can walk right up to them and click on a button on my laptop and an alarm goes off on my phone. GOTCHA!
Same as computer.....if it's stolen, I can track it.

:D :D :D Oh ShotGun.....I have to tell the phone the address or the Lat. and Long. first and then it tells me how to get there.  :)

Bros. Been......good one about the matches.  :D

Doc....I'd rather shoot a Buck than to be in rut.  :D

Magicman

doctorb, I bought probably the cheapest Garmin that I found from Amazon that has the LM (lifetime maps).  I think that it was $107.  I have no need for the bluetooth, MP3, etc. that is available on the pricier units.  My new unit is very satisfactory for my use, and the screen size is perfect.

BTW David, I looked at the file info on your deer picture and now know exactly where you were hunting.   ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on November 20, 2012, 08:41:04 AM

BTW David, I looked at the file info on your deer picture and now know exactly where you were hunting.   ;D

:D You are welcome to sit that stand anytime, Magic.

Texas Ranger

Just updated the maps on my GPS.  Found out the new maps, 2 year old device, use twice the memory of the old maps, and had to add memory.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

The very detailed 24K TOPO maps seem to be a gotcha deal.  They come on a micro-SD card and cost $100.  You can get a download version for a bit more, but you are on your own with that option.  You can then upload it into two units.  They have secured their technology very well because you have to enter the S/N of the upload unit and after two, it locks up.

SwampDonkey

That's kinda odd business. Most of the maps in there unit probably was paid for by the government. They just converted the data to another format. I have a pricier unit, but my maps are also free as well as an aerial photo layer. My base corrections are free to, for any areas I measure. Mine doesn't do real time corrections, but the next level up does. The real time in the Garmin is WASS and even Garmin's site says within 25 feet. Need within 3 for my use. I've measured 1000's of acres and miles of roads and strips, so it's been paid for a long time ago. Just how I justify it. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

The new Garmins and probably others are also using the Russian GLONASS system in addition to our GPS.  These additional satellites are said to increase the unit's accuracy.

thecfarm

I just have a Tom Tom that came off the Mayflower.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Magicman on November 20, 2012, 09:57:45 PM
The new Garmins and probably others are also using the Russian GLONASS system in addition to our GPS.  These additional satellites are said to increase the unit's accuracy.

Ooooo-- so we are relying on their tender mercies for our technology to work.  :-X
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

Actually, it was once reported back in 2009 that the US GPS satellites are reaching the end of their service, so there could be gaps in coverage as they fail. Has there been any new GPS satellite launches lately?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Since GPS technology is used worldwide by everyone, it is only right that more countries add to this service.  My new unit is the first Garmin to capture and use GLONASS.

Okrafarmer

I was mostly just kidding. I just have to look at every aspect of everything.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Larry

I see in the Cabelas sales flyer they have them for $250.

Got a good deal on the Garmin Nuvi 40 too, but one has to get up before the crack of dawn Friday to get in on that.  I'll pass and stay in bed.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

Yup, I was looking that the Cabela's sale price.  The Cabela's store in Gonzales, La. has an "in store" deal for the "bundled TOPO package" for the same price.  I will be in Gonzales next Friday and the sale ends Thursday, so I put Google to work and found the same deal at REI with free shipping.  Mine has shipped and should be here Monday.

Magicman

It came today and so far I am not happy. So many features on the older Etrex Legend that I like are either not here are hiding. Either way, I do not like it. Maybe I should have gotten the Oregon ??

It did find more satellites, locked in very quickly, and was accurate within just a few feet.

I'll fiddle with it for a while and give it a fighting chance.   :-\

Okrafarmer

About the car GPS, my parents are furious with their Magellans. They hate them these days. Too hard to update, bad customer service, and they don't work well. Sometimes it tries to take them around the wrong side of the mountain, a trip of 5 or 6 extra miles and ten or more minutes longer!

trapper

We have used Magellans in rental cars and find Garmen much simpler to use.  To me easy and simple is good.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Okrafarmer

Quote from: trapper on November 23, 2012, 11:30:38 PM
We have used Magellans in rental cars and find Garmen much simpler to use.  To me easy and simple is good.

Yes, we use Garmins at work, and they are quite reasonable. Not infallible, but workable.

Magicman

Maybe it's just a learning curve, but at least the new GPS and I are on friendlier terms.  New stuff.   smiley_dizzy    smiley_headscratch whiteflag_smiley

SwampDonkey

Can the Magellans do areas? The Garmins can, but it's buried in menus as I recall.

Magicman

I spent several hours today getting acquainted with the new Etrex 30. It is going to be OK, but there surely are differences.

I did download a bird's eye map from Garmin and uploaded it to the GPS. It sorta washes out the TOPO lines and the screen is too small to really see close details. This was a "free" one years subscription and I doubt that there will be a renewal.

I will order the 24K TOPO that shows the NF as well as private boundaries for Colorado.

beenthere

MM
Will you use it primarily for the elk trips?

Is this review a pretty good review of what you are finding with yours?
http://gpstracklog.com/2011/10/garmin-etrex-30-review.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Quote from: beenthere on November 24, 2012, 08:45:08 PMWill you use it primarily for the elk trips?

Yes.   

I read that entire review and others before I decided on the unit.  The review is accurate.  I considered the "Oregon 450" unit which has a larger screen and is also "touch screen" based, but I kept going back to this Etrex.  After today, I know that it will be OK.  I moved the contents of each screen around to better suit my needs and deleted some of the options.

LOGDOG

I'm getting in on this thread late but wanted to ask you guys for suggestions on a handheld GPS unit that would be accurate enough for me to flag my property lines from stake to stake in as straight of a line as possible so I can take a forestry mower through there, shred my line and put up fencing? The last surveyor I had give me an estimate to flag the lines for me was $12,000.00 for a little over 60 acres. The longest lines to flag would probably be 2000-2500 ft on two sides.

Any suggestions for a GPS unit for this?

Buck

My experience with consumer grade devices is not accurate enough for that application. The latest one I've used was the Garmin Rino and previously the Etrex line. Rino was a lot better but I would want to be dead on while flagging property lines. 12k=ouch!
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Magicman

I will be better able to answer that question after I spend some time with it at the farm.  This unit is much more accurate than the Etrex Legend that I have been using, because I am seeing less than 15' accuracy instead of 50-75'. 

For doing right of way clearing, it may be OK, but for actually painting a property line, I would rather do it the old way.

Okrafarmer

Why on earth would surveying 60 acres cost $12k?  :o  ??? That doesn't make sense. That's more than some sawmills cost new. Doesn't sound like the terrain is too hard to traverse, either. I would have thought, maybe $1-2K.

beenthere

Logdog
The corner stakes you mention are established? From a recent survey?

Once the line is cleared of brush using the GPS, then if line-of-sight is possible a transit should/could provide you with a straight line. Working with your adjacent landowner for agreement might suffice for your objective.

But if the corners are not established, then they likely need to be surveyed. A reason for the $12k given? Did it include brushing the line?
south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

Seems like robbery to me. We did 260 acres of woods lines, 3 side. The forth was already established because it was the US/Canada Border. We did all that survey in a day, plus the paper work for $750. And, the lines on the three sides were not well established because loggers around here like to cut down lines.  :-X >:( Woodlot owner style surveys are illegal in NB, has to be a registered surveyor. The fellow who surveyed here works 3 days a week surveying for a local mill. Had a helper. They blazed and I painted. Used a survey grade GPS with a station set up in the field, carried a rover.

Magicman

I would hate to know what it would cost to have my farm (outlined in red) surveyed.  I lease the 200 acre parcel outlined in yellow.

Some of the corners have pins, and almost all of the lines are either painted or have old fences.   The Cabin is at the end of the white road in the NE corner.  The majority of the open fields are now Pine or Oak planted.  I have plenty of GPS opportunities.

LOGDOG

Yep ...$12,000.00, and that included me providing my bulldozer and a trackhoe with me as operator to clear the line. That price included them flagging the lines in addition to the corners which are established. Most of my corners are pretty straight forward. My two Western corners have two different stakes flagged in each of the corners so there may be some confusion about which is the correct stake. I had a total jerk move in on my South line. He's been hunting deer at night. Had to report him to Louisiana Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries. We had a little confrontation the other night about it. That's part of the reason I want to fence it.

Surveyors down here have gotten use to the oil and gas company work that pays well. They've had tons of surveying to do for pipelines and drill sites and the oil and gas companies don't squawk at price. So when a private landowner like me comes along, and they know they can get "X" amount for their time surveying a drill site or pipeline, or go do my job, they're going to want to make at least the same amount for their time. Supply and demand. Granted ... I did go to one of the best surveying and engineering firms in the area. There may be someone out there who will do it for less. If any of the corners are in question though, I want someone credible I can call on to fight a dispute. Especially once I've cleared the line and installed an 8' high game fence around the place. I have good relationships with all of the adjacent landowners except the new one.

Magicman

Our "jacked up" land values are a direct result of the above mentioned oil and gas activity in Louisiana.  We supposedly have "better hunting" so folks flock here with their pockets stuffed with $$$ and will pay whatever it takes to buy land.  Land "values" have more than doubled in less than 10 years.  This in turn has caused the property taxes to almost double.

Oil patch money is good, but the spillover into other seemingly unrelated activities and areas has it's negative effects.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: LOGDOG on November 25, 2012, 08:59:19 AM
Surveyors down here have gotten use to the oil and gas company work that pays well. They've had tons of surveying to do for pipelines and drill sites and the oil and gas companies don't squawk at price.

They do here, and would never pay those prices. We have mineral and gas surveys here as well as roads and they don't get those kind of rates. They are for the most part on crown land (public) anyway. Any on private for the most part is treated like crown land because the government owns what's under the dirt and rights of way for public roads or on crown reserved rights of way. They realize that those jobs are hit and miss, and the majority of times are lean where woodlot owners and forestry will keep them from starving to dead. ;D Many forestry companies hire contractors to paint the existing lines on piece work and the rates are quite low, comparable to a farm hand, basically. Mineral claim lines, similar deal. You are also subject to scrutiny and if they make a fuss, well you worked for nothing. That's one of the reasons forestry and mining like piece work, no benefits and low pay. It's a bit different in Alberta because your in remote areas. Back here, you wouldn't be 50 miles from a town.

Thank You Sponsors!