iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fuyu Persimons

Started by Left Coast Chris, November 18, 2012, 10:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left Coast Chris

Just picked a loaded tree of Fuyu Persimons.

We usually slice and dry them and eat the slices like potato chips for lunch etc.

Ended up with thirteen 5 gallon buckets full.   I did put them on craigs list but not anticipating unloading many there.

Any ideas for using them up?    After slicing and drying a couple of buckets, we will have alot left over.  Hate to feed them to the horses.

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

thecfarm

I never heard of them before. Not many of that fruit up on my hill.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Left Coast Chris

These are the type that are crunchy and can be eaten like an apple when ripe.   When dried the sugar is concentrated and the dried chips are really good and have good fiber.    We have planted ten more trees and when they are producing, I will be able to sell to the stores locally.  Until then the one tree I have which is about 8 years old or so is starting to produce very heavily.   The trees are slow growing so it will be several years before the others produce heavy.

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

woodsteach

Can you ship them?  I'd be willing to purchase some if you are willing to ship them to Nebraska.
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

gunman63

I never had them before , id buy some too just so i can say i have  had them, was just  down to Goodman Mo. this  past weekend, and they were telling me about them, and a old tale about something  with them looking inside  about a fork or a spoon and how bad the winter was going to be.
I think it was persimons.

Left Coast Chris

Im not sure how cold hardy the trees are but they are a typical back yard orchard tree around here.  We only get down to maybe 20 degrees above zero here in far Northern Ca.

If you drive around maybe someone would have one.   I only let them go through one or two light freezes before picking which sweetens them up. 

I can attempt to ship a few if you guys are really serious about trying them.  They are like a flattened apple so they are pretty heavy but I could try to send four or six for a taste.    Just send a PM with your address.

Thank You Sponsors!