iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a Cherry Blanket Chest

Started by WDH, November 18, 2012, 09:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Tree Feller (Cody) did a nice job of describing his walnut rocking chair build.  I mentioned that I was going to build a cherry blanket chest, and he suggested that I detail the process as we all can learn from each other's successes and not-so-successes  :).  So, here goes.

The chest is being made from cherry that I sawed on the LT15 and air dried.  The chest is 42" long by 20" deep by 20" high.  First, I planed and then glued up the panels for the 4 sides of the chest from some of the cherry that has a little curl in it.  They are 3/4" thick.

Then I made the chest bottom out of eastern red cedar.  The bottom is 1/2" thick.  I used biscuits to join the edges, not for strength, but because they line up the boards, making the surface smooth so that you do not have to sand your butt log off to get it flat and smooth.

Then, I cut the panels to size, 42" by 20" for the front and back and 20" by 20" for the two sides.  I have the simplest little cross-cut sled, many people would laugh at it, but it cuts dead square.  Since the sides will be joined by through dovetails, the panels must be exactly square.  This is very very critical, or you will drive yourself crazy because the panels will not go together right.  Did I say that this is very very important?  If you do not get this right, you are in big trouble  :-\.

Now it was time to cut the dovetails with the Leigh D4R dovetail jig.  You can do a 24" wide panel with this jig which makes it a great tool for this type of application.  I use a 3 1/4 HP Makita router.  There is a technique that you have to learn so that you do not get chip-outs or tear-outs on the dovetails.

You cut the tails in the front and back first, then cut the pins on the sides.  You use a test board for the pins so that you can creep up on the right fit.  Here is a test fit.  Good to go!

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Looking good, WDH! Did you use the cedar for air freshening qualities?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Tree Feller

:) :) :)

This is gonna be a fun build. Nice dovetails, BTW.   ;)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

WDH

OK, the dovetails have been cut and a test run has been done. 

Well, I made a rookie mistake.  I cut the groove for the bottom to fit in before the test fit was complete, and since the panels only go together one way, I cut the groove on one of the panels on the wrong end, so the groove is at the top of the chest, not the bottom  ::).  I had to cut a spline and repair the groove and re-cut the groove in the right end  :-\.  I bet that I am the only one that ever does anything bone-headed like this  :(.  Oh, well, I fixed it.

There are no pictures of the glue-up because it is much too stressful. 
You have to practice the glue up before you apply glue because you have eight dovetailed sides to apply glue to, and you have to put the bottom in, and it has to all go together at the same time.  It will make your hair turn gray.  Getting the glue on all dovetails without slopping it all over the inside, then getting the bottom in and all sides mated up before the glue sets up is harrowing.  I got my wife to help apply the glue so that the sides could have glue applied twice as fast as doing it myself.  I used a total of 14 clamps for the glue up.  I regret that I did not get a picture of all the clamps bristling all over the place.

Here is a post glue-up pic.  Also one showing the inside with the ERC bottom.  The trick to keeping glue squeeze-out from getting all over the inside of the chest is to use masking tape on the inside edge of all the dovetail joints.  Any squeeze-out gets on the tape and not the wood.  Once the carcass is clamped, you remove the tape.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

Okra,

Yes, ERC for the wonderful aroma.  This chest will have a sliding tray that will also be ERC.

Okrafarmer

I know it's a harrowing process, but you make it look so easy!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

beenthere

So the "mistake" (done that before too) you could dado out the other three panels and inlay a dark wood like walnut so it looks intentional. ;)

But we know now, so carry on with the cherry spline.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Invariably, the dovetails will not all fit just perfect after you finally manage to get all the sides glued together.  There will be some little gaps in some places. 

To fill these, I took some glue and added cherry sanding dust to make a dough, kinda like a biscuit dough.  This moistened dough is rubbed in all the little gaps to fill them.  The sawdust matrix will then have the same color as the cherry, and it will even darken just like the other wood will.  Here are some pics of the process.  You put a glob of glue on the sanding dust, then mix by hand to make a dough. 

Then you mash the moist dough in all the little spaces that need to be filled. 

Once dry you sand it all off, and that cleans up the dovetails nicely.

Now it is time to sand, sand, and sand some more  :)

Here is the chest after the first rough sanding, and also a pic of the two top boards glued together.  The top will be 7/8" thick and will have breadboard ends joined together with a sliding dovetail joint. 

More to come tomorrow.  (after a lot more sanding, sanding, sanding  :)).

WDH

BT,

DanG!  Why did I not think of that  :-\.  What a capital idea  ;D.  An intentional mistake as a new design element  :D.

Holmes

Wow  You get a lot done in a day. I would still be waiting for the glue to dry. ;D
  Very nice craftsmanship...
Think like a farmer.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on November 18, 2012, 10:03:40 PM
BT,

DanG!  Why did I not think of that  :-\.  What a capital idea  ;D.  An intentional mistake as a new design element  :D.

:D Actually, I am so accustomed to making mistakes, that every time I make one, I immediately am thinking about how I can make it look like I did it on purpose!

WDH

Holmes

oohhh. Now I understand.

:D :D :D
Think like a farmer.

samandothers

Wow. Good work.  I like the dove tails. Are you pleased with the jig?

You craftsman make it look so easy!

I look forward to the rest of the build.

WDH

The jig is awesome.  Some find it too complicated to use, but if you read the user's manual (actually a small spiral bound book  :)), just follow the instructions.  With this jig, you can vary the spacing of the pins and tails to your heart's content.  Pricy, though, but worth every penny.  I have made a whack of blanket chests and half-blind dovetailed drawers with it. 

123maxbars

Great project you have here as always.  Inspires me to step away from the sawmill and start making some products.
How did you cut the groove in the bottom of the chest?
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

WDH

The groove for the bottom was cut on the router table with a 1/2" straight cutting bit.  Don't cut all the way through the front and back tail boards or you will see the groove on the end.  If you did that, the trim would hide it, but I still don't like to let it show.

Clark

Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 18, 2012, 10:08:58 PM
Quote from: WDH on November 18, 2012, 10:03:40 PM
BT,

:D Actually, I am so accustomed to making mistakes, that every time I make one, I immediately am thinking about how I can make it look like I did it on purpose!

I like your take on mistakes, I think I will have to adopt that attitude!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Is it safe to say there's a BIG hug coming at the completion of this project?  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

I'm just along for the ride and enjoying it too. Another fine build by Dan. My wood working skills just about stops when the tree hits the ground.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I am enjoying this build.  It was refreshing to read about your "cover up" spline.  Jeff's clock has one.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

metalspinner

Lookin' good, lookin' good... :)

QuoteYou use a test board for the pins so that you can creep up on the right fit.

Danny, this is where you and I differ on opinion.  Ya see, I do all the testing on the project stock. 8) 8)  I like to live life on the edge, baby! :D

When I saw your "mistake," I thought you put that dado there for a till drawer runner. ;D

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

samandothers

"Don't cut all the way through the front and back tail boards or you will see the groove on the end.  If you did that, the trim would hide it, but I still don't like to let it show."

This is the type of thing I do and then have to cover the mistake by thinking of things like trim. ::)  What you can fix you feature! :D

I appreciate you and others sharing your projects and showing/explaining the tips and tricks to make it happen!

Holmes

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 19, 2012, 08:02:04 AM
Is it safe to say there's a BIG hug coming at the completion of this project?  :)
Now David are you looking to be giving that hug... ;D 8) :D
Think like a farmer.

Tree Feller

I'm enjoying the build, Danny. I've made a bunch of blanket chests but all mine are frame and panel construction. Some day I want to make one with dovetail joints and this thread will be a very good guide.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Thank You Sponsors!