iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ron's Grandmas Doughnuts

Started by Norm, March 21, 2004, 04:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

If you don't hear from me for a couple of days it's cause I overdosed on eating too many doughnuts from the recipe that Ron W posted. They are great, real rich and good hot out of the fryer.

EZ

O-boy, I like donuts, I like em alot. I think I could do the policeman thing cause I hear that is one of the things you have to pass in the academy.
EZ

RavioliKid

You've got me drooling, Ron!

Mmmmmmm! Doughnuts!

;)
RavioliKid

Ron Wenrich

They are good, ain't they?  Glad you enjoy them.  I can almost taste them now.  We always said they were moorish - the more you ate, the more you wanted.   :D

I have the recipe posted on the Knowledge Base for anyone else.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

J_T

Got any left ? Don't OD ;D Told my son the cop reason doughnuts have holes so they can put one on their finger and eat while they drive. Got my that's not funney dad speach ;D
Jim Holloway

Duane_Moore

:DSure, wait till wife's gone, then show food to me, what a guy, yum,yum,  Duh---Duane, crispy creams?
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

IMERC

Norm...  
With your best interest at heart I'll be right there....
Coldn't have you OD'ing and becoming ill or lasergic... ewww those look good...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Patty

Thet were very good, indeed!  8)   After I rolled myself into bed last nite, I got up this morning and ate some more!! That truley is a testament to good donuts, if you can still eat about 20 the next morning! Thanks, Ron for the great recipe.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

Norm and Ron W.

Those doughnuts look like dandies. Grandmother made the best donuts I ever ate and her sister made the best buttermilk buiscuits. Even mom says so. Well, they was both cooks in restaurants too, so no fair. When grandparents were married,  grandmother baked pies and bread everyday for my grandfathers guide outfitiing company over an old wood fired cook stove. Those hunting sportsmen from south of the border came mostly to eat. No wonder the old soul said at aged 70, I'm done cookin.  :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

SD, any chance we could get your grandmother to share her doughnut recipie?

I love those old family recipies, of course if ya do and I explode eating too many I won't hold her responsible. :D

SwampDonkey

Norm:

Next time I'm at my uncles' I'll check for the recipe. Grandmother died in 1997.  :-[ But, have you folks ever ate mollasses flavored donuts? Years ago everything was mollasses in this part of the country. I'll see what I can come up with. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

My wife told me they used to put molasses on their donuts for Fastnact day.  That was one I never heard of.

In these parts we have molasses cookies, that are about the size of a saucer.  They're tasty and I haven't had one for a really long time.  

Another use is in shoe-fly pie.  Most of the ones made in this area are wet bottom pies.  Only the better PA Dutch cooks can make a really good shoe-fly pie.  

As a kid, I remember eating molasses on butter bread.  Some brands weren't too good, because of too much sulfur.  The kind we used was King's.   It had a lion on the can.

Then there's the joke about molasses.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

This is the only Molasses I remember

http://www.crosbys.com/

They have some recipes there also.

I looked in the cupboards here and I don't even have a jug of it here, except a molasses server which has some in it. Needs toss'n out since its prolly 3 years old hahahaha. Mother used to buy it by the gallon. I never use sugars much on french toast, breads or pancakes, prefer fruit jams with low sugar. :D :D

Molasses cookies up this way are called hermits, my great grandmother made them, had a recipe and past it down for generations. Mom always says she is going to make her grand mothers hermits. ;)

and Barbours had molasses at one time, visit here for a history

http://new-brunswick.net/Saint_John/barbour.html

;)

SwampDonkey

My Grandmother's sister's Molasses Donuts

1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup granular sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup cream
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour (maybe more if sticky dough)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda

Makes soft dough

Put in fridge to set for 1 hr
Deep fry

I'm no doughnut maker, so judge for yourself. Don't bust a seem.  :)

Mom has made Ron's doughnuts years ago she said, and she says they were a good doughnut. Well you folks that have made them, know that already :D :D :D Mom has made lotsa stuff from potatoes, including bread and rolls. Well father grew 150-300 acres worth for over 40 years :D

Patty

I looks like a really good recipe, we'll have to give it a try this weekend.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

shopteacher

Stopped in on a friend early one morning and his wife said sit down and have a couple waffles. OK I say and wolfed down a few. They were real tasty.  She ask me if I knew what they were made of and I said pancake batter?  Now this might not sound like something you'd want to eat with syurp on, but I got to tell ya I didn't know the difference. They were the night before leftover mashed potatoes done up in a waffle iron. Hard to believe until you tried them.  Course people don't tell them things either till after ya ate it.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

SwampDonkey

shopteach

I had a chocolate waffle recipe. Its from the 'Company's Coming' Recipe book series. Escapes me now.

et al:
My mother must have bought about all of them recipe books mentioned above and I bet she never cooked 1 % of the recipies. :D :D :D I inherited some of the books when her and dad moved to their new home. She still buys them. ;) The only things I've cooked from them are these waffles, choc cake, frosting, and a fish recipe, its not very often that I cook waffles or cakes though. :D :D I mentioned to my mother I was making a cake from the recipe, and what does she do? Gives me a 'Betty Crocker' cake mix, I dunno why, she's never ate one of my cakes to know what it tastes like. LOL. They taste DanG good, I wouldn't make something that wasn't good. ;) I make pizza dough sometimes, but from my head with experimentation, secret. :D  :D

Jeff

Tammy made Ron's grandma's donuts for Easter. Started them at 6 O'Clock Saturday evening. OOPS!  She was frying donuts at 2 AM! :D  They were great. Thing is, Tammy don't eat sugar and that recipe makes a LOT of donuts. The bus garage got donuts, the sawmill got donuts, the bank got donuts the mother-in-law got donuts, and I still stuffed myself!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norm

Thanks for the recipie SD, collecting cookbooks is like collecting anything else. Ya don't use 99% of em but you still keep collecting.

Like any hobby it can get out of hand. :D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

If he don't he's making a good effort ;)

Patty

Yep you are all welcome to stop by, Norm will make sure no one goes away hungry.  ;D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Norm

What that little stock pot..  ;D

It's kind of funny I ordered it out of a restaurant supply house we use. I needed one for canning and big feeds, so I wasn't just sure how big of one to order not being able to see em in person. This one is 60 quart, the one I almost ordered was 100 qt. Kind of glad I got the smaller one. :D

SwampDonkey

Some one's going to hire you on as head cook in some remote logging camp if your not carefull :D :D :D

Norm

I was a short order cook for many years growing up, my mom ran and then owned a restaurant. Patty and I built one from scratch and ran it, I had a full time job at the time and she would open at 5:00AM and many days work until we closed at 9:00PM. I've never worked so hard to lose so much money. Cooking for pleasure is a lot more fun.

Thank You Sponsors!