iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Introduction

Started by jdunmyer, March 21, 2004, 04:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdunmyer

Just wanted to introduce myself as a new member here.

Pics of my sawmill are at http://www.oldengine.org/members/jdunmyer

I set it up in 1976 or thereabouts, ran it half-seriously for a few years, then tapered off to just a bit of custom work and lumber for my wife and my buddy to butcher in their woodshops. When asked how I got into it, my answer is, "it runs in the family since about 1840, when ol' Gustave Magsig came over from the Old Country". That really ISN'T what got me into it, but sawmilling in my family does date back that far.

There's some pics of a half-scale sawmill at:
http://www.oldengine.org/shows/semta97/index.htm
Although I don't own it, my buddy & I have been running it at the show for the past several years, as the owner is getting physically unable to any longer.

My location is in far SE Michigan, just north of Toledo, OH. If anyone would like to visit, feel free to drop me a line at jdunmyer@toltbbs.com (that's better than here, as I might not be a daily visitor)

Thanks for all the educational & interesting postings, I hope I can contribute also.

<<Jim Dunmyer>>

shopteacher

Welcome to the forum Jim. That's quite a setup you got there and one big circle saw. :o
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Tom

Hey Jim!

I've been to your site before and have sent others as well.  It's good to have you here and I hope you make it a regular stop.

It's good to have another who likes old iron.  We have a few here that love it as well.  You're going to like this place. ;D :)

Paul_H

Welcome Jim,
You have alot of really neat pics there.The 1/2 scale mill sure seems to draw a crowd.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

smwwoody

Yes!!  anothe CASE engine!!  Mine is almost the same.  mine has the inline german bosh pump and had the tan hood and grill.

How well does it pull the big saw.  Is the governer fast enough?

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

CHARLIE

Welcome Jim!  Pull up a nail barrel here beside the old pot bellied stove and sit with us for awhile. Norm has cooked some fresh donuts too. I hope you enjoy this family as much as I do! :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

pasbuild

Well I'll be darned, my son-in-law put a pic of a sawmill as my home page you know the one were all the little icons are, turns out ITS YOUR SAWMILL. This puter sure makes the world a lot smaller then it usta be :)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Corley5

8) Setup.  I like your forklift.  A guy up here had one just like it that Grandpa and I tried to buy from him.  He wouldn't sell it but said when he was ready to get rid of it we'd have first chance.  Ya right ::)  A couple months passed and a slightly newer one showed up after the W-4 based one disappeared.  I never bought anything from his hardware after that.  Last spring I bought an Oliver 552 that is essentially a reversed Oliver 550 tractor.  Handy machine to have around
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Mark M

Welcome Jim, thanks for posting the link to your pictures.

Frickman

Welcome aboard Jim! It's great to have another circle saw man around. I've been to your site too in the past. I really like the half-size mill. Set that up at a festival around here and you could charge admission to watch it run.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!