iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best SC species for lapsiding?

Started by Okrafarmer, November 18, 2012, 12:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

We are anticipating the arrival of a lap sider at our operation soon, and I am just trying to figure out what the best local species are to make lap siding out of. I prefer not to do ERC unless I end up with a lot of it on hand, because I already have such demand for it in other applications.

Some common species around here include tulip poplar, sweetgum, virginia pine, loblolly, red maple, and sycamore, along with oaks and hickories, which I wouldn't normally think of as siding material. Of course we have other species as well, but many of them are not real wide-spread to be a consistent source for siding over the long haul.

What do you think? Or know?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

Traditionally, it was good old SYP.  The old growth pitch soaked trees had very good rot resistance.  The young, fast grown plantation pine you see today would not do nearly as well.  If you use pine, get some older natural grown logs. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Small growth rings, of any species?

By the way, people are asking me for live-edge clap boards, so that would include sapwood. Is that a problem?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

sealark37

Most live edge siding is stained with a clear or opaque stain.  The sap wood should not present a problem.  Tulip poplar works well for lap siding if it is properly dried and painted.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Syp likes to cup and warp at times, so you may have some repairs.

Use a water repellant coating to prevent wetting and much of the warp.

Much of the wood used for siding is not decay resistant naturally and it works well if the water can be kept off or shed off.  I have syp on my MB, SC condo (where I am right now).

Avoid pieces near the pith as they cup and warp the worst.

I have seen 2x6 treated pine ripped diagonally to make two tapered pieces and that works fine.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I would use yellow poplar without any concern, if it had a water repellant coating, not shrubs around to prevent drying, at least 6" above the ground and a good roof overhang.

Always seal the ends, as that is the first place for decay to start.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Magicman

Any species needs proper preparation for it to stand up to constant weathering.  If it is untreated, then it must be able to dry and not retain moisture.  Otherwise, it must be primed and painted. 

Poplar works well for board and batten siding so it should do well for lap siding.  I prefer to bevel the bottom edge of B&B siding to provide a "drip edge", and Masonite lap siding also has a beveled bottom edge.  This would greatly increase the lifespan of wood lap siding.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

How do you make the bevel? Is it on each piece, or only the bottom piece? What angle is it?

Magicman

I doubt that anyone would go to the trouble of beveling the bottom edge of lap siding to provide a drip edge unless it was his own.  I always bevel the bottom edge of B&B since you have to trim it to length anyway.  I do about 30°.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Magicman on November 18, 2012, 03:38:58 PM
I doubt that anyone would go to the trouble of beveling the bottom edge of lap siding to provide a drip edge unless it was his own.  I always bevel the bottom edge of B&B since you have to trim it to length anyway.  I do about 30°.

Do you put the high side or low side toward the wall?

Magicman

The long side goes to the outside.  Water running down the board then drips off of the tip end instead of running back under the board and wetting the entire underside.

Solomon

Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 18, 2012, 12:48:54 AM
We are anticipating the arrival of a lap sider at our operation soon, and I am just trying to figure out what the best local species are to make lap siding out of. I prefer not to do ERC unless I end up with a lot of it on hand, because I already have such demand for it in other applications.

Some common species around here include tulip poplar, sweetgum, virginia pine, loblolly, red maple, and sycamore, along with oaks and hickories, which I wouldn't normally think of as siding material. Of course we have other species as well, but many of them are not real wide-spread to be a consistent source for siding over the long haul.

What do you think? Or know?

Do you have any Cyprus around your area.   I know Colonial Williamsburg Makes all their shingles from cypurs
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Okrafarmer

Well, Solomon, multiple people on here are telling me that I can't really rely on the baldcypress for outdoor utilization, because the old-time cypress shingles that were reliable were made of heartwood, and we rarely find heart cypress any more. Getting to be rare like heart pine.  :-\  And we really don't have much around here, mainly a few in people's yards. I have two in my yard, but they have a lot knots.

WDH

The old growth cypress was called Tidewater Red.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawmiller7753

Made some for my solar kiln out of neighbors pine logs.  It was a mix of slash and loblolly pine.  Air dried and stained with oil base stain.  About 8 years old and still working great.  Had some boards that went crazy but most were good to go.
Lucas 618 Mill
WoodBug Mill
Alaskan Mill

Okrafarmer

I've also been wondering about kiln drying the lapsiding. Mainly for bug killing purposes, and to insure to the customers that it is fully dry. This would go on high end houses. I could spray it down with borax or other bug killers, and let it air dry, but just wondering about it.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Jim I have used green off saw plantation Pine,Spruce,D/fir and Monterey Cypress if you saw Bevel Edged, Square Edge and Natural Edge'd and Board n Batton and Profiled Shiplapped  out of good logs they behave well Mate

I also believe that the sealer should be oil based like boiled linnseed oil with a tropical mould inhibitor works better than something that leaves a film over the surface as it leats the timber breath but also lets it build up in the cell structure over the years thus giving better protection

I think that anything that leaves a film on the surface ie' Paint/Laquer in an outdoor enviroment ect is asking for trouble as the timber just sweats underneath as its not able to breath  causing rot eventually ;)

The oldest place we have used the linnseed oil on is still going stong and looks good  with no rot after about 25years and that has only had about 4to5 coats of oil and I dont thing the new owners have ever put a coat on since they go it  ;)

Regards Chris   
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!