iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sealing log ends

Started by learner, November 16, 2012, 11:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

learner

Okay I've checked all the Old posts and a few of the newer ones, but can't find what i'm looking for.
I've used a basic roof coating to seal some of the logs and it seems to work well.
But the thing is, at $10 a gallon I might as well get a seal Made for logs. I know about Anchorseal but are there any others or have they cornered the market?
Also, I just got a few pine logs with the ends completely covered in sap. Should I end seal them and if so, how would you do it? I mean brushing sealer on would just get the sap all over the brush.  And pine sap is some sticky stuff!
Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Okrafarmer

I been told pine ends don't need sealed. They won't split before they're too far gone to mill, or some such thing. I have sometimes sealed them....

I use Anchorseal, but I have also sometimes used latex paint. Most things are better than nothing. You can often get reject latex paint at home improvement stores for about $5. Usually gallons that somebody asked to have mixed, but then they didn't like the color, and so the paint mixer person tried again. Then they have to sell the mistake paint, and so it's on sale for $5.

However, some people say latex paint is not very useful for logs. But I have seen some of my logs where I sealed them with latex paint, and then left them for several years, and never got around to milling them, and those logs rotted all around the log but left the painted end nice and flat intact. So-- ymmv, as they say.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Acrylic latex, will seal somewhat.  You can use paraffin wax, but it is quite flammable and may travel into the manufacturing plant and cause problems.   So, Anchorseal or roofing cement seem to be the best choices.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Al_Smith

I suppose everyone has their favorite methods .Mine is roof tar or foundation /driveway sealer .The price is relatively inexpensive and it seals very well .Prior to milling just cut a cookie off  and re coat with anchorseal because if you mill with the tar it streaks the lumber and probabley doesn't do the saw much good either .

Funny though ,just a few days ago I visted a local mill to get help identifying a species of hardwood I wasn't familiar with .It turned out to be bitternut hickory .I observed they didn't have one log coated with anything and there were thousands of logs .

WDH

I have found latex paint to be marginal in effectiveness.  There would still be some end checks and splits in the lumber.  Aluminum roofing paint worked well, but was a horrible mess to work with.  For no more logs than most people will need to seal, go ahead and get the original formula anchorseal.  It is wonderful and cleans up with water.  It is a pleasure to use versus any kind of roofing stuff.  Life is too short not to use anchorseal or a LogRite cant hook :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

Now don't get me wrong because anchor seal is good or perhaps the stuff Baileys sells as well is .It however will not take weather for very long .

Ideally the logs would be milled in a timely fashion but unfortunately that doesn't always happen and if that would be the case anchor seal wouldn't be the best choice .

As far as the price anchorseal or in fact driveway sealer usually is cheaper than cheap paint .Unless you find free paint or something .

Yeah tar is messy .Simple,get a long handle and a 5 dollar tampaco roof brush .Either throw the brush away or dunk it in a bucket of gasoline for twenty minutes and use it over again .Put a lid on the rest of the bucket of  gas and use it over again the next go around .--junk yard dog trivia 101 ---

Okrafarmer

Anchorseal = $20 / gallon.
Latex paint (new at Home depot, as rejeccts) = $5 / gallon.

Anchorseal is not cheap.  :(
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

tyb525

I bought a 5 gal bucket almost 3 years ago, it was about $55 dollars. That's cheaper than 5 gallons of paint. It is at least half full still, and I have coated quite a few logs. It doesn't go bad if you keep the lid on and keep it from freezing.

It's also very useful for sealing turning blanks, and if you do make a little mess it's not some wild color ;)

Latex paint is not sealer, it is actually designed to let walls "breathe", so it will also do that with you logs. Anchorseal is pretty much watertight. I read a study where someone end coated a thick board and then a couple spots on the face of the board. The spots they coated were quite a bit higher MC than the uncoated spots.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Al_Smith

Yeah it was around 55 bucks for 5 gal  a few years back the last I bought .Baileys has gone up to 67 for 5  but that still isn't no 20 bucks a gallon .That's e-bay prices where noone knows any different and in gallon lots .

Maybe it has though as I really didn't check it out much .The last I bought was from a supplier in Ohio so the freight wasn't much and I still have about half a pail left .It goes a long way .

Besides the point but a point to ponder .I have a friend who is an excellant woodworker .His lumber after milling is painted on the ends with paint patterns  to mark which tree it came off of .Small quantities but the only way to be certain nature colors,grain patterns  are maintained to a tee is if the lumber comes off the same tree .Not for everybody of course but it works out well for him .

Al_Smith

Holy cow I just checked it out .The last I bought of anchor seal at 55 per 5 gal is now $86.95 .Free shipping .Inflation has hit the buckeys state . :(

Okrafarmer

I'm planning to go buy some at the store right now. I will tell you what the price is. I looked at it online, and they have it for $11 + $7.50 shipping.  :(

As I said, paint is $5 / gallon all day long at the store. But I do use anchorseal, it is definitely better. Sometimes I just hate the high price.

Al_Smith

Timely thread .Just 5 minutes ago I walked back in the house from smearing roof tar on the ends of two  hickory logs .I dropped the tree two days ago,wind blown top ,hazard .

Not giant ,3/4 cord firewood ,300 bd ft saw logs .

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 17, 2012, 11:12:27 AM
I'm planning to go buy some at the store right now. I will tell you what the price is. I looked at it online, and they have it for $11 + $7.50 shipping.  :(

$21.49 at Woodcrafters, so I should have ordered it online.

Al_Smith

Flea bay wanted 29 a gallon .This place is 76 for 5 .Free shipping I think https://www.uccoatings.com/WebStore?ProductSKU=H205COLORG

Okrafarmer

Hmm. I bookmarked it for later.  ;)

WDH

It is still a bargain at that price given its effectiveness and ease of use.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

It's great stuff I always said that but I also said it won't take weather which it won't .

I don't have the luxury like some of you with a bandsaw mill sitting in the barn .I either have to hire someone or get off my butt and get the one done I've started .So in my case I need something that will last .

On that I tested some shagbark today that's sat for three years ,ends sealed ,cribbed up off the ground .Still solid as the rock of Gibralter .It will eat up bands but I'll bet there isn't much loss .Nary a crack in the ends --roof tar .

WDH

3 year-old-cut shagbark hickory will give my woodmizer LT15 nightmares (and me too  :)). 

That is the Wikipedia definition of "hard"  :D.

Al_Smith

Yeah it'll be like a chunk of granite no doubt as I suppose the oak and ash will be .

This friend of mine who uses different paints to mark his lumber has had a lot of stuff milled in somewhat of an untimely fashion .Not the best method certainly but the lumber looks fine albiet the bands suffer .

Keep in mind most us around here are dealing with standing dead ,wind blown and general salvaged stuff .

Al_Smith

The guy who milled my last stuff is a lineman who has worked out of Detroit for years .He and his brothers  also linemen had access to hundreds and hundreds of the butt ends of 90 foot western red cedar poles that were cut down to make 70 footers .Freebies no less .

They went together and bought I think was a WM Lt 15 or about that size which was trailer mounted and only had a 12HP Briggs engine .In spite of the fact it was only 12 HP that thing could rip down 30" oak amazingly fast .They sold enough cedar to more than pay for mill and then some in about 6 months .

When he did the last oak for me he did break two bands which cost me like 24 bucks a piece which considering the amount of lumber and no more than I had in the milling I had no complaints .

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Anchorseal can have antifreeze.

Latex paint is slightly affective, but it must be acrylic, which does not breath as much as interior wall paint.  I did mention acrylic in my earlier post but some seem to have missed this.

Anchorseal on logs does not weather much if the product is put on thick enough and the ends are not frozen or muddy.  We tested it for six months...June to Dec and it was still ok.  Do not apply a thin coat, like painting a wall.  It must be quite thick or, for Rembrandt of Picasso type people, use two coats.  If you use a sprayer, get a thick coating and do not use a fine mist.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Al_Smith

Well the anchorseal used in these parts is of course winter type .It'll handle 6 months but much longer than that it seems to fade out fast .Now maybe if a person took the time to recoat every so often that would not be a factor .

Again though as I said with a majority of the hobbyist type woodworkers in this area as myself the method of accumulating  a small catche of logs before they are milled is less than ideal .

Keep in mind though as my avatar says this is right smack dab in the middle of a giant cornfield and that is no exageration .Illinois and Iowa might claim to be big corn states but this part of Ohio runs a pretty good second or third .

Tree Feller

I get original formula Anchorseal from a local woodturning club for $10 per gallon. They buy it in bulk thus the savings to the members. I always apply two thick coats to log ends with a 4" brush.

For my limited needs, it's the best option, primarily because of the ease of application and water cleanup.

Prior to getting my own mill, I would often use various colors of paint on the log ends just to identify which logs I wanted sawn a certain way. I would normally leave my trailer of logs at the sawyer's house with sawing instructions inside a plastic baggie attached. He was rarely home when I'd drop off the logs and seemed to appreciate the color coding. 
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

bedway

Ive been using acrylic later paint for about two years and it does a great job. My brother who used to work for sears got a pile of one gallon cans for 50 cents each people decided they didnt want after they had been mixed. Ive never used Anchorseal so i can compare. I can say ive run tests of unsealed ends and those with the paint and its like night and day better.

Al_Smith

I guess as life is you learn by your mistakes .I had some stuff I had tarred then cut a cookie off and it was milled .I dilly dallyed around coating the fresh sawn stuff with anchor seal and sure enough got splits some so much  so I lost 18" off each end .

A fact that recently annoyed me after I went through an entire stack  just to find two 12"  planks clear enough to get 12 feet out of to make a fireplace mantle .Shoulda,coulda, woulda .

Thank You Sponsors!