iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Business Cards

Started by TGS, November 16, 2012, 04:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGS

I'm wanting a snazzy business card but designs are not easily found for sawmills. I could go with a wood grain look but I would like something with a little more pop. I'm considering wood veneer cards although they are kinda pricy. What I would ultimately like is a full color card of a bandmill that would look similar to a website banner. If anyone has a card design they're particularly proud of, and don't mind sharing, please post a pic or send me a private message.

Thanks

thecfarm

Wood veneer would be an eye catcher for sure. Some would take one just because they are made from wood and are differant. Which might be a good thing,IF they are in a crowd that wants some logs cut. Maybe buy some and give the veneer ones just too sawing customers and the paper ones could be to put up on boards and handouts.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cedarman

Think about putting a log scale on the back.  People will want to keep it just for that alone.  I have the cedar scale on the back of mine and it is amazing how old some of the cards are when people show up to order some lumber.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

clww

I used to do a similar thing with cards. Regular cards went out to anyone wanting one, repeat customers got one that was magnetized, so they could stick it on their fridge. Most of our firewood sales was repeat buyers.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

sawmillhand

1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

qbilder

Quote from: Cedarman on November 16, 2012, 07:39:43 AM
Think about putting a log scale on the back.  People will want to keep it just for that alone.  I have the cedar scale on the back of mine and it is amazing how old some of the cards are when people show up to order some lumber.

That is a great idea.
God bless our troops

Leigh Family Farm

I like that card, Sawmillhand!                     
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

redbeard

Good idea on log scale! I need to make some new cards almost out.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

TGS

The log scale is a terrific idea! That would definitely stop a lot of questioning about fairness in its tracks. The woodmizer business card is right on with what I was thinking. Now I just need that mill to be red... I sent TK an email while I was at work last night about business card artwork. I haven't heard from them yet. You can get 500 cards through a vista print promotion for a little more than the cost of shipping. Check them out.

By the way, the veneer business cards are sexy for sure. Do a google images search and you'll see what I mean. Everything from curly maple to eastern red cedar!

redbeard

You can also check out your local graphics folks I kept all three advertizing signs the same design and logo. Truck, road side sign and cards all are the same. The guy I worked with was great he gave me lots of options.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: redbeard on November 16, 2012, 03:21:24 PM
You can also check out your local graphics folks I kept all three advertizing signs the same design and logo. Truck, road side sign and cards all are the same. The guy I worked with was great he gave me lots of options.

NOw thats something I didn't think of...a road sign advertisement. Is it like the construction ones on the highway, or just a simple easle frame job?

TGS

Once upon a time I did signs as a business and still have the equipment. I make these 18x24 signs (think campaign signs) and stuck one up when I mill next to a road. Gets a lot of calls for me in the right place.

steamsawyer

My little wifey makes all my cards and advertizing stuff for the sawmill and the bluegrass band. I would scan a card for you but the scanner can't figure out where the computer is, and vise versa....

Here is the next best thing...

She took a card and blew it up for a sign to display on the picnic table I built for a benefit auction. To make the cards she started with a photograph of my sawmill and made up the rest of the artwork... This is 8 1/2 x 11 on photo paper.

She might make you some cards if we sweet talk her a little.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

thurlow

They won't be embossed, but you can buy blank business cards from Wal-mart or any office supply place and make your own using word or word perfect and your own pictures or something downloaded from google images.  They look pretty Dang good............
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: thurlow on November 16, 2012, 05:05:40 PM
They won't be embossed, but you can buy blank business cards from Wal-mart or any office supply place and make your own using word or word perfect and your own pictures or something downloaded from google images.  They look pretty Dang good............

Along with this, if you have teenage kids most likely they can do this for you faster

sawmillhand

1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Ga Mtn Man

Vistaprint is a good deal, but be aware that their cards are slightly undersized from a standard business card, by 1/8".

Try Staples online card design service.   
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Slabs

I ocasionally PLAY with a "My Business Cards" program to make personal and novelty cards.

Features allow you to include clipart or your own pictures or any image file (like ones of your favorite wood) both front and back.  Another feature is the ability to print cutting marks for using 8 X 11 card stock.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Tom the Sawyer

I have an abbreviated log scale on the back of my card and it has been very popular, a woodworker won't throw them away.   

Vistaprint has very quick service and good cards.  Prices can escalate quickly, color, glossy, print on back, etc. but sales are frequent in the daily e-mails you will get.  They are slightly smaller but it hasn't been a problem in holders or displays.   :)

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Nomad

I designed my own cards.  (Use the same  design for my truck signs too.)  I used a picture of maple wood for the background; I should've used something with a bit more contrast in the grain.  Incorporated a picture of a swingmill blade 'cuz it's easier to recognize for the uninformed than a bandmill is.  I also put a log scale on the back. 
     I then went to a local shop to have the cards made up, using the best card stock available.  A bit pricey, but folks really like the way they don't get mushy and dog earred.  Sorry no pics; I'm out of town at the moment and not on my own computer.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

customsawyer

My wife got me some bus. cards from one of the online places and the ink faded fast on any cards that you carried in your wallet.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

I carry vista prints in my wallet for our business and they do good. I had some since July.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Warren

Quote from: Cedarman on November 16, 2012, 07:39:43 AM

+1 ... I still have one of Cedarman's cards around here from about 5 years ago just for that reason...
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Charles135

If you have a Staples or Office supply place in your area you can take them a photo on a flash drive and they will set up your cards around your photo.  At least the ones around here will.  You can choose tons of paper stock options, and design the whole thing, but like me, don't have to do the computer stuff yourself!
Charlie
Charlie
Foley Belsaw M-14, JD MT, Massey Harris 44, F-30 Farmall, A JD, 3203 JD, 5300 JD, JD 4039 Power Unit
Serving the Thin Blue Line Since 1998

Jim_Rogers

Years ago, I took a marketing course. They said when you do your stationary and signs to make everything consistent.

When I had my sign painter lady to my "job sign" which I would hang on my fence out front; I handed here my business card and said: "make it look just like this....."

Here is an example:

I know print my own business card here on card stock I get from staples.
That way when the phone company changes my area code or my phone number changes I can easily adjust my stationary.

My job sign broke off the fence in a storm.

I have a piece of "plywood" (I hate to even admit I do) that I was going to paint up and redo my job sign, some rainy winter day. Something I still need to do....
never enough hours in the day.

Jim Rogers

PS: When I went out on "road jobs" I would take the sign down of the fence and put it in my truck and take it with me to the job, and put it out front.
And when "lookers" stopped by, I'd hand them a matching business card.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!