iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To sell or not to sell...

Started by blackfoot griz, November 15, 2012, 10:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackfoot griz

I built a firewood processor and after a lot of messing around I have it pretty well dialed it for what it is.

I have run around 30 cords through it and it works well.  There is a large dude ranch nearby that has 40+ cabins etc that all have fireplaces or wood stoves.  They also have a bunch of beetle killed trees on the ranch.  Right now they are paying employees with chainsaws and hydraulic splitters trying to keep up. They are interested in buying my processor.  I have around 15k into the processor and conveyor (not counting my time- just materials).

What would you think a fair price would be for it? The closest commercial one like it sells for around 33K.

I don't have to sell it, but, I if I did , I would build another one. (GF if you happen to see this....what would you sell your beauty for?  ;))

beenthere

Sure would like to see a video or two of it working. Do you have such?

Will they buy wood from you already cut and split?

Seems you would need around $30k. But a lot depends on your situation and desire to build another one.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Holmes

Sell it. With all the experience and knowledge you have from the first build, you can now build the one you really want. 8) Just make certain you have enough wood to get you thru the winter.
Think like a farmer.

stumper

Sell it.  The second generation will be better then the first. 

Price -- Ask 25-26K take $23k.  It is not commercially built, is now used and lacks a warranty.  A 10k savings for them and an 8k profit for you.

I agree vids would be nice.

clww

I would sell it for double the $15K, so $30K. No less than $25 grand. If they won't pay that, they can go buy somewhere else, plus you still own your processor. Seems to be a "Win-Win" to me.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

doctorb

I can't help you with the decision to sell it, or the sale price, but I can look at why not to sell it.

1.  You are selling it to a neighbor.  Maintenance and repairs are inherent in such things. A breakdown at an inopportune time may turn into a large headache for you, as they will surely ask the creator of this machine to assist them in the repairs.  In other words, selling your processor for a profit sounds great, but it's not moving far enough away for you to be completely free of it.  So while I am sure you would lend your expertise to them when needed, there's a risk selling it to a neighbor.  That time/effort on your part is the unspoken part of this deal.

2.   If portable, maybe you could make a deal with them to rent it.  You would make a yearly profit on your machine, rather than plow the profits of its sale back into building another one.

Certainly, if the longevity of what you've built is in question, sell it and make a new, better one, as others have said.  But whatever can break or break down in your current processor will do so once the sale occurs, and the phone will be ringing!  Maybe you could throw in an annual service contract for maintenance to increase the cost of purchase?   Good luck
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

blackfoot griz

http://youtu.be/7WXptIZ4wDI

Here's a short video (been posted before) of the first logs through the machine.  Since then, I have tweaked a few things and added a 20' conveyor that runs off the hydraulics on the machine.

It can cut/split and fill up a full-sized pickup box in 15 minutes so I would say it's fair to say it can do 2 cords per hour.

Doc, I don't think I would rent it. 

What I'm leaning towards is asking them to come down to my place, look at it, run it and make an offer if they are interested in buying it.

I have plenty of wood done so if I sell it, I would have plenty of time to build another one!

Thank you all for your feedback!

NWP

Charge them hourly to run it and cut their wood.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Leigh Family Farm

If they offer anything above $25K, I say sell it. This way you have the money to start Version 2.0 and you know you would just end up making it anyways  ;)
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Holmes

What did you end up doing? Did they come by and try it out?
Think like a farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!