iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Be Careful Out There

Started by Dodgy Loner, November 15, 2012, 06:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

My dad just called and told me that my granddad cut off most of four fingers on a tablesaw today. He will be in surgery tonight. Please pray for him. I know he'll make it through but his life will be very different if they're not able to re-attach the fingers. I'm not sure whether it was his right or left hand. My heart just sinks for him. He's made it 75 years on a farm with all of his fingers intact.  :-\
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Dan_Shade

I hope he makes out OK.  Let us know
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

beenthere

Sorry to hear that Dodgy.

Prayers go out for him to recover soon.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Dodgy.....that's so sad. I will keep your Grand-Dad in my prayers and all of your family.

David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ellmoe

Best of luck to your Granddad. Doctors have gotten pretty good at reattachments.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WDH

On my!  That is awful.  I am sick at my stomach.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Not a good thing to do. that is too bad. I wish him well.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodey

Keep us posted on your granddad. I will be praying for his recovery.

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Dodgy Loner

A brief update: Granddad is currently in surgery. I found out that it was his right hand that he cut, and he is right-handed. Thank you for your prayers.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Red Clay Hound

Hi everyone.  For those who don't know, I am Dodgy's dad.  I just got off the phone with my sister a few minutes ago and my Dad is in surgery now.  The injury is on his right hand.  Apparently he was cutting a mitre on a 2x4 when it happened.  He really doesn't know how it happened.  The blade hit all four fingers from the base of his little finger to the first joint on his index finger.  It missed his thumb.  Apparently it cut all the way through the bone on the two smaller fingers.  We're hoping they can reattach at least the index finger and the middle finger.  Prayers are appreciated.  Be careful with those table saws!
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Leigh Family Farm

Hope he pulls through and the comes out for the best.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

isawlogs

Terible hthing to hapen.  My thoughts go out to him.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

metalspinner

Sorry to hear that Dodgy and Red Clay. :(
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Red Clay Hound

I just got word that he is out of surgery and in the recovery room.  Apparently they were only able to save his little finger.  The other three will be considerably shorter.
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Axe Handle Hound

Not the news you were hoping for, but hopefully he'll be able to learn new ways of doing things and be just as productive once he heals up.  Really sorry things didn't work out for the other fingers.   

sandhills

Very sorry to hear about this, and wish him all the best for the best recovery possible.

Warbird

I've prayed for a quick, and as full of a recovery as possible for him.

SwampDonkey

That's rotten luck. Hopefully they can restore as much as possible. They can do some wonderful stuff.

I had a friend who did wood working, he was elderly. He cut his fingers on a table saw 3 different times. I think it was his unsteadiness and frailness with age, plus he had numbness in his hands. So it was pretty hard work for him even with everything in tact. He was always building something large and  heavy from hardwoods.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Thanks for the up date. I'm so sorry that happened.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Prayers out for your grandad, Dodgy.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Norm

I so sorry, table saws are unforgiving.

fishpharmer

Dodgy, Red Clay Hound my prayers go out to your whole family.  So sorry to hear the bad news.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Radar67

We will include him in our prayers here as well.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Den Socling

I'm really sorry to hear this. It's terrible news. It brings back memories of when I was 8 or 10 years old. My Dad worked for the railroad. He got the fingers of his right hand stuck in a chain hoist. The ends of all four fingers were gone but he learned to get by. He's now 91 and can do about everything but type. As for me, I split the index finger on my right hand while cutting a small part on a bandsaw. I'm extra, extra careful now. I never cut a small or even medium size piece of wood without a push block.

Red Clay Hound

I thought I would give an update on my dad.  He came through the surgery fine.  They sent him home last night after the surgery!  The hand is all wrapped up so he still doesn't know how much of the middle three fingers are remaining, but our guess is he'll just have some short nubs.

He slept well last night - still under the influence of the block they gave him for the surgery and the morphine! smiley_sleeping  So far he has had minimal pain and is in good spirits.  He's pretty tough!  He's taking it all in stride.  He certainly won't be the first lifelong woodworker with fingers missing! :-\ 

Dodgy and I are both considering selling our Grizzly saws and investing in a couple of Saw Stop table saws!  We don't want to join the nubby finger club! :o

We appreciate all the thoughts and prayers.

Thank You Sponsors!