iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question on Circular Sawmill Manufacturer

Started by adamc1014, November 15, 2012, 06:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamc1014

Hey all,

I recently inherited a sawmill from my great uncle, and was hoping your forum would be able to provide me with some knowledge on the topic.  There isn't a name plate anywhere, it is a darker red, with a carriage that is yellow.  The saw blade measures 52", it is powered by an Allis Chalmers D262 6 cylinder diesel motor.  The mill was only used on the family farm to build the out buildings, it was last run about 15 years ago.  It was originally a mobile unit mounted on a semi trailer, and taken between jobs.  Upon him purchasing it, it was used to build the building its in now, and the fundamentals of it was not exposed to the elements.

Please follow the link to view the images for the sawmill.

After searching out sawmills, I think it may be a Frick 00, but to be honest I am not sure at all.

Thank you for helping,
Adam
aac10@uakron.edu

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Keep the info coming and some pics if you can set it up. Sounds like a great find.

Go to the "Behind the Forum" board to get help with posting pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dblair

welcome aboard , we're all eyes waiting on the pictures .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

irvi00

A lot of sawmills got piecemealed together over their lives. Ive seen frick husk frames with meadows carriages and vice versa. Dark red might be morbark, yellow could be edmiston. Who knows? The allis chalmers power unit is definitely a cherry. Not many of them left. Cant wait to see pics of it!

steamsawyer

Hey adamc1014,

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. I hope you can get some pictures loaded on. There are a lot of us circular mill guys on here, we'll be happy to help you if we can.

Will you be able to leve the mill set up where it is? And have you done any sawmilling before? 8) 8)
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Migal

Welcome to the dust err FF  8)
the part  Please follow the link to view the images for the sawmill
did I miss something?  :D
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

adamc1014

Okay, was able to figure out how to upload these photos, and also amazed at the responses!

Responses:
     Will you be able to leve the mill set up where it is? And have you done any sawmilling before?
          Yes, I plan on leaving the mill where it is, due to a few reasons.  It is tucked back into the woods where no one can mess around with it, enclosed in a building.  The reason it is no longer in use is, my uncle stopped milling wood one day, and it has been sitting in this building by itself, undisturbed.  I have no previous experience working with this machine due to my age.  I am only 28, and my great uncle is 93, so by the time he was done using it, I was still to young to remember.  He lived about 30 minutes from my parents, and we mainly only saw him on holidays.

My ultimate goal would to be getting it up and running.  There is a John Deere 350B with some pallet forks, which he used to transport wood to and from it.  Along with that, there was also a 14-18 inch (guess, never measured it) wood planer that is operated by an electric motor.  With a little elbow grease, I am confident I can get the sawmill and planer up and running.  My greatest concern is safety!  In the event I got it up and running, I am scared to death of this thing, because there are so many moving parts. 

Well friends, I look forward to your responses, so we can determine what the best case scenario is for this machine.

Thank you,
Adam

ALWOL

It doesn't look like it will take much work to make that machine saw again. As for the make, I am not real sure. I will be interested to hear what some of the older sawyers have to say about it.

Alan
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

adamc1014

Quote from: ALWOL on November 16, 2012, 04:12:52 PM
   It doesn't look like it will take much work to make that machine saw again. As for the make, I am not real sure. I will be interested to hear what some of the older sawyers have to say about it.

Alan

Thanks Alan, Hoping to carry on the traditions of my uncle, by making some smaller buildings using it IE. Chicken coupe.

Adam

beenthere

Good on the pics. :)

Are there two carriages shown? Or one carriage that was pictured at both ends of the track?

Here is some good reading that may help you learn about the circular saw rig.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf

Put your general location in your bio and I would suggest finding a local sawyer who can come and show you a few things important to know safety wise as well as procedure for your beginning days.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

adamc1014

Quote from: beenthere on November 16, 2012, 04:20:38 PM
Good on the pics. :)

Are there two carriages shown? Or one carriage that was pictured at both ends of the track?

Here is some good reading that may help you learn about the circular saw rig.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf

One carriage, just two different views due to the lighting in the building.

Adam

steamsawyer

It looks like a Frick to me... A little clean up and you are ready to go to work. 8)

Nice power unit too. ;D

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Alan Rudd

adamc1014

Quote from: steamsawyer on November 16, 2012, 04:32:06 PM
It looks like a Frick to me... A little clean up and you are ready to go to work. 8)

Nice power unit too. ;D

Alan

Thanks Alan,

Just curious, where is a good place online to find a belts, pulleys, and other milling related products?

Adam

steamsawyer

Hey Adam,

You can find most anything you need through the sponsers here on FF. Browse through the list on the left side of the page... Personally, I use B.H.Payne for all my blade work and bits and shanks for the saw.

If you don't mind my asking, where are you located?

I just love to hear about an old circular mill being resurected  ;D...You are in for some fun now.  8)

Alan

Alan Rudd

adamc1014

Quote from: steamsawyer on November 16, 2012, 05:04:35 PM
Hey Adam,

You can find most anything you need through the sponsers here on FF. Browse through the list on the left side of the page... Personally, I use B.H.Payne for all my blade work and bits and shanks for the saw.

If you don't mind my asking, where are you located?

I just love to hear about an old circular mill being resurected  ;D...You are in for some fun now.  8)

Alan

Okay Alan I noted the information listed above,

Thanks for the information.  The saw is located in Western Pa. on the family homestead, but my biggest dilemma is, I am located in Arizona finishing up my second bachelors degree.  Its not like I can walk into the backyard and tinker around with it.

Adam

irvi00

Showed the pics to my old man, he believes it to be a frick mill. He called it a woodpecker mill. He threw a fit when he saw the power unit! He loves anything allis chalmers. Shouldnt take much to make it all work again, best of luck to ya!

adamc1014

Gentlemen,

You guys are offering me some great knowledge on this sawmill, I appreciate it, but here is another question.  So along with the mill I inherited a John Deere 350B (crawler), and John Deere 350 (dozer).  The brakes on the 350 dozer are shot, and the left brake on the 350B crawler only functions when I pull the brake in while the machine is not moving.  Otherwise it doesn't catch while the machine is moving.

My question is, what is the cost to replace the brakes on one of these dozers?  Assume worst case scenario, in your costs analysis.  I am asking this, because the local Deere dealer quoted me $5k on the dozer, and though I don't have the owners manual, I feel like this is very expensive. 

I am trying to determine a couple things; if I replace the brakes, in the event I sold them would I be able to recoup the monies invested, today or in the future?  Or would it be worth it to sell them 'as is' currently and use the monies made to purchase a Skid Steer on tracks?  At my age (28), I am trying to determine what the best solution is now for the next 10-15 years.  My father would like me to keep them both, but these machines are older then me, heavy, and not many people in my generation have knowledge on them.  Compared to a skid steer where parts are more common, more efficient uses, and I can work on it myself instead of relying on someone else.

Thank you,
Adam

beenthere

Seems until you land your feet on the land you are going to work, then it is a bit premature to make a decision now. ;)
Or am I missing something here, and you are going to graduate and start a sawmill and logging business?

Is your Dad going to use either of the tracked machines?

What is(are) your first and now your second Bachelors degree(s), and what are your plans (non of my business but seeing as you are asking for decisions, might help) ??
south central Wisconsin

adamc1014

Quote from: beenthere on November 18, 2012, 02:45:32 PM
Seems until you land your feet on the land you are going to work, then it is a bit premature to make a decision now. ;)
Or am I missing something here, and you are going to graduate and start a sawmill and logging business?

Is your Dad going to use either of the tracked machines?

What is(are) your first and now your second Bachelors degree(s), and what are your plans (non of my business but seeing as you are asking for decisions, might help) ??

Plan is to graduate in December of 2013, then move home after graduation.  First Bachelors degree is in Finance, second as a Registered Nurse.  I have no intentions of starting a sawmill business, just  use it as a hobby.  I do have 5 brothers and they range in ages between 14-38, they are at the farm on a regular basis.  They along with my father use the John Deere crawler on a regular basis for miscellaneous tasks.

Autocar

Looks like a Frick to me also, good luck there alot of fun and work to  ;D
Bill

bandmiller2

Adam,don't think its worth sinking 5k into the brakes.You can still order the repair and parts manuals from Deere.You and your brothers and dad can repair it yourselves.Its not fun but doable for a fraction of what the dealer wants. If your going to be even a part time sawyer your going to have to do your own repairs. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

adamc1014

Quote from: bandmiller2 on November 18, 2012, 08:37:30 PM
Adam,don't think its worth sinking 5k into the brakes.You can still order the repair and parts manuals from Deere.You and your brothers and dad can repair it yourselves.Its not fun but doable for a fraction of what the dealer wants. If your going to be even a part time sawyer your going to have to do your own repairs. Frank C.

Thanks Frank appreciate the advice.

Adam

snowstorm

brakes and steering clutches on a 350 are easy. a 350 and 350b had dry clutches. 350c runs in oil. track needs to come apart. there is a master link if it dosent have a snap ring  then it could be welded if grind the weld. that track pad needs to come off also. take the sprocket off. linkage to brake lever. unbolt the final drive an off it comes it is heavy. its been a long time since i did one. i would take the cover off first. under the seat brake adjuster is there. look for water and rust. also have seen the fuel line leak run in there and cause problems

Thank You Sponsors!