iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I wanted it bad...

Started by Riggs, November 15, 2012, 10:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riggs

I had a friend offer me some poplar logs last week that he was clearing to expand his pasture. Of course I was interested, and last Saturday went over to pick them up. He even loaded 4 trailer loads for me. In the coarse of talking to him, I noticed a wild cherry in the range of 18" dbh that he had pushed over and asked about it. Sure he said, cut it to whatever length you want and I'll load it. When I got closer I saw that it was covered in poison oak (ivy sumac, all the same to me). It had a vine growing up it as big as my forearm. I am very allergic, and this would normally have been a deal breaker, but I wanted it, bad. I sawed it, ended up with another trailer load of just cherry logs.
I have spent the last five days absolutely miserable, covered in poison oak, eyes swelled nearly shut, I even had it in my ears....Two doctor visits, two shots, and a pack of pills later, finally today I am starting to feel a little better, but never again will I mix a chainsaw and sweat with poison oak.  :-[
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Cypressstump

Ouch !  Face it,,, we are MEN,,, we'll never learn from all of our mistakes   obsessions... ;)

Try some Blue Dawn Dishwashing liquid on the itchy places. It has worked on people I know with Posion Ivy. They said it stops the itch quickly. I am not affected by the stuff,,, knock on wood. ! 

Stump
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Sprucegum

8) A wholr trailer load of cherry logs!  8)

I bet you'll do it again  ;)  :D

Leigh Family Farm

This is gonna hurt but... when the scabs start pussing, put bleach on them, yes bleach. The bleach dries everything and seal the scabs. It hurts like all (insert explicable deleted comment multiple times) but seems to work and doesn't leave scars....so I've been told  eh eh

There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Riggs

I actually poured rubbing alcohol on some of it, not my face obviously, it dries it up fairly well.

I deserved it, it wasn't my brightest moment.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

grweldon

Bleach also works well to stop the irritation before it gets really bad.  I'm not terribly allergic to those types of plant, although I have had irritiation from them.  In any case, I think I would have done the same thing for a trailer full of cherry logs!  Good score!  It will be worth it!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

martyinmi

My skin is very sensitive to poison ivy, oak, and sumac. I try to cut at least a half pick-up load of wood every week, and about the time I quit itching from last week, I'll bring some home this week. Right now I've got it on both wrists, inner part of both elbows, in between three fingers on my left hand, and I'm not sure how, but a small patch on one of my derriere cheeks.

This weeks itching and inflammation is about gone. I'm sure I'll come Sunday morning I'll be itching again >:(

Funny thing is my ten year old son helps me nearly every weekend and rarely washes his hands afterwards, and he's only got it once, and it was just a small spot on his cheek. I usually wash up pretty good using GoJo with pumice, and I always get it.   
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

lumberjack48

I never got it, but my dad did real bad, he cut a lemon up an rubbed it on it, worked the best for him to dry it up.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

ellmoe

Cortizone shots! They the Bomb!
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

SPIKER

Hey Guys:

take this for what it is worth as it rarely gets to me BUT when I KNOW or SUSPECT that I have been in it or WILL be in it there are some precautions that will pretty much stop 90% of the chances of it getting to ya.   Back in the 80's I partnered in a landscaping business & I did a lot of grunt work in large clearing cuts so got to bath in just about any & all types of the stuff.    My Buddy/Partner was highly allergic to it too.

For me I can wade thru weed-eating Poison Ivy and be fine, Poison Oak about the same one nasty occasion from tearing some out in the dark and tossed it into fire (that was a BAD case but didnt need shots >:(.)   Poison Sumac got me good once too when I was a kid as it seemed like a great place for a fort  :D :o.

(You said you were getting multiple loads) so you had some time to prepare for it.    The OILS off the plants stays viable for a LONG TIME so care with anything that might get some on it is needed.

#1. "Invisible Glove" stuff is a rub on goo that drys on your skin and seals it up.   The stuff comes in a tube looks like hand cleaner drys in a minute as you rub it in.   It can be put on arms hands face any exposed skin with ease, lasts for years in tube too.

#2  Get some good long sleeves shirt/coat & pants & keep them on ONLY when around it.   As soon as you are done working on/with it pull em off & change into NEW CLEAN cloths.   Keep a high collar shirt on and buttoned up tight even if HOT got to cover up skin.   Put ALL of your clothing boots and saws away from you and or into plastic garbage bags to deal with when home/laundry mat.

#3  Keep a 5 gallon bucket of water on hand COLD and some blue dawn dish soap.   DAWN seems to work about the best from ALL of the stuff we have tried (my woman is highly allergic to it & has gotten it from the Dog and from my cloths  :o)   apply the DAWN directly to any areas you think could have gotten dust or the plants oils onto you.   add small amounts of water till it is washing off.   then re-apply a new coating of DAWN and re wash same way.    Repeat any time you touch ANY of the stuff that has contacted it.   Dont forget the back of your neck arms and wrists are also sensitive easy to get it areas.   AS SOON AS YOU CAN rewash shower all over using the DAWN and COLD water followed up with a HOT WATER DAWN BATH/SHOWER.   Yes the dawn can dry your skin wipe on some hand lotion afterwards.   Any towels need to go into laundry don't re-use them.

#4 try & stay UP WIND when cutting it.   I also when a tree is covered I dont chain saw it, keep an AX or Machete to cut the vines off where you need to buck a log at.   That way you are not adding chain saw bar/oil in with the vine's oil to mix & make it easier to get into you.   The vine oils are not flung all over either and chips are big w ax/machete so easy to see & feel hit ya.   if a hunk hits ya in face or skin use some Wet Naps on the area ASAP.

#5 If you already have DRY SKIN and you have time apply several coats of high quality hand/body lotion to help seal your skin.   Best done night prior and morning of with enough time to get it into and dry on you prior to the invisible glove stuff.

#6 get some cheap throw away leather gloves with long cuff then rubber band the cuffs tight to your arm then put long sleeves over it so stuff falls off sleeve and not into cuff.

#7 take cloths to laundry mat or car wash, DONT wash it with your dainties or worse the woman's  :D ;)   I usually do my own as the woman can't get near it...   

#8 DONT jump into the truck with it all over the clothing and rub it in so you get it the next day from setting on the truck seat or steering wheel.

#9 Any Tools that came in contact w it needs cleaned up using the DAWN and HOT  WATER or Car Wash.   My buddy used to get it all time and finally figured out he would get it off the coated tools. :D

Sorry for long post but for starters it is some good info learned mostly form my elders and OJTH  (Oh Jesus That Hurts) training.  ::)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

thecfarm

Riggs,hope you get over that.
spiker,I think you been around the bend a few times.  ;D
My brother worked for the town in High school. They was burning brush and poison ivy was in the brush. My brother was really allergic to that stuff. he got it baddd.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LOGDOG

Riggs ...get you some Benadryl Cooing Itch Gel. Trust me on this. I couldn't live in Louisiana without it. Hope you feel better soon.

Planman1954

I started to itch just readin' this stuff...
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Riggs

Norwood ML 26

florida

it's the sap in poison ivy that you react to. Anything that will get pine sap off will also remove poison ivy sap as long as you use it within 2 or 3 hours of exposure. I use mineral spirits but turpentine works just as well and leaves you smelling good.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Papa1stuff

Fels Napther(sp)  soap works fairly well!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

thecfarm

We use to use Tide,the powder growing up.. My Father would scrub himself with Tide. Make a real rough paste up and SCRUB.
That stuff sure down grow down your way. I have poison ivy on my land that I keep fighting. I have seen it knee high on the edge of the woods reaching for the light. Most times it kinda hugs the ground. It's more like a plant,but the roots are all connected.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tom L

Quote from: florida on November 15, 2012, 09:59:57 PM
it's the sap in poison ivy that you react to. Anything that will get pine sap off will also remove poison ivy sap as long as you use it within 2 or 3 hours of exposure. I use mineral spirits but turpentine works just as well and leaves you smelling good.

I have had great luck in the last two yrs taking a cup of Pine sol in the shower with me after I have been in and around poison ivy. have not had it break out . three times now I have sawed in it and the pine sol
must cut it and wash it away pretty good. without the pine sol, I have tried everything and get it bad
worth a try,

mad murdock

there is a lot of Poison Oak out in this country. (NW Oregon).  A lot of the saw shops and hardware stores stock a anti-poison oak soap called Technu soap.  It is also sold by Bailey's.  If you are susceptible or have some you might encounter, I would have some handy just in case.  It works on Poison Oak, and Sumac, as it is the waxy oils that carry the irritant.  Also need to use extreme caution when burning brush, if you have any of the above mentioned brush in the pile, the smoke carries the oils and it can cause severe respiratory irritation.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!