iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A movie from days-gone-by

Started by GDinMaine, November 14, 2012, 10:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDinMaine

I stumbled upon this movie that documents the "last days" of the old time timber harvesting and sawing in the DownEast region of Maine.  I found it very interesting, especially that I have been to many of the places and towns mentioned here.  It is a bit about logging as well as logging camp life, sawmill and shipping.  I hope you will enjoy it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIKCjQdxtO0&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLDcit5MzKdRbpNTdH2wBg2w
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

morgoon

Absolutely amazing

I have some old saws I might have to try out... Whew
Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

redbeard

great footage, amazing how much two horses can haul. Thanks for sharing.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

bandmiller2

That was well worth watching,no unemployment back then,some big crews.If you want to sound like you belong in this part of the country change any word ending in an " R" to "AH".Such as Lombard log haulah,bah harbah,pot haulah. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

Very interesting and thank you .Maine natives have a distinct accent you can pick out clear as  day .Several others do also .Tide water area of Va,western Pa north Carolina ,eastern Tennessee ,northern Minnisota and certainly Bostonians .That tid bit is interesting also . ;D

GDinMaine

Interesting how you payed attention to the accent. The fellow who narrated the footage is still around.  He is an old-fashioned comedian and something of a legend in Maine.  His name is Tim Sample.  Not all natives have the accent, but some communities still have it rather STRONG.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Clean Image

The methods may have changed over the years but the men haven't...4 meals a day? Its still all about the food! food1

Thanks for sharing

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Delawhere Jack

That was really slick the way they cut the clapboards. ;)

John S

Thanks for that great view into the past.  Life was much harder for those great men (and women) who came before us.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Thank You Sponsors!