iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Breaking resaw blades

Started by paul case, November 13, 2012, 07:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

I recently purchased a morgan resaw, used of course, and it had been sitting quite a while, like 4 years. It was in a shed and very dry. I found 3 new, but a little rusty bands for it as well plus it had one on it. So far we have broke 3. I think the bands may not be very good, however they still cut good. The 3 bands have only cut 2400 boards all together. The wheels on the machine are all steel and seem to have some crown to them. It has a spring tensioner. The guides are hardened bolt heads on the top and bottom and a bearing on the back of the band. I change the bearings and they are rolling fine with just a bit of a groove starting to show. 2 of the blades broke when running empty. The bands dont feel warm at all to the touch when they break. The break on them dont look all fresh. Looks like there is maybe 1/2 of the break fresh.

These bands are of unknown origin and they are 3/4x .035x1. There isnt much meat on them to start with. There arent caked up with sap nor are the bandwheels.

Do I have a guide problem? The bands dont touch the guides hardly at all when tensioned.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?  PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

hackberry jake

Congrats on the resaw purchase! I would order some new bands and start from there.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

barbender

Paul, if the break is only 1/2 fresh it must have been cracked already, right? Just making sure I'm understanding this right. If so they were bound to break there. Congrats on the resaw ;)
Too many irons in the fire

paul case

Yeah the break looked only half fresh.
I think these blades were brand new as in never used but they were old, as in hung on a nail in the barn in the clip for 4 years or more. Can freezing and thawing cause these bands to get more brittle? They cut straight and true and very consistant. I would be happy as could be with them if they would hang together. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

Paul,as Jake said order some new bands and try them before changing anything on the resaw.Sufolk [timberwolf] does alot with shop bandsaws and bands that size. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!