iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Torn

Started by Jeff, November 13, 2012, 12:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I'm wondering if that's me too. During the last Bear season I hunted, I was wanting to see a bear, but inside, I was wondering if I would actually pull the trigger if I did. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

red oaks lumber

i know i went soft!  i lived deer hunting 365 days  a year. the last 2 years i haven't even bought a tag, i just dont feel like killing animals any more.its more just watching
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

Steve,

That is me, too.  I was an avid hunter, taking several deer a year.  A few years ago, I simply did not want to shoot them anymore.  My Son-in-Law and Nephew shoot enough to keep me supplied with meat, and that suits me fine.  My Son-in-Law is a Wildlife Biologist, and he has taken to spending time with me on improving the habitat, and I enjoy that more than the hunting.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clww

Our gun season ended last Saturday in Highland County. I hunted like four mornings and five evenings. I put the scope on six separate bucks, all six points and bigger, with the largest being a nine point. Never pulled the trigger, just whispered "boom" on all of them. I'm just enjoying getting out in the woods more and seeing nature at work. Starting this weekend, though, we'll be declaring war on the squirrel population. Those guys are everywhere on our property-too many.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Autocar on November 13, 2012, 04:04:20 PM
I know exactly how you feel, I would get togather with surrounding neighbors and see if you could work out a agreement on killing 140 class bucks or bigger only [ just a exsample ] that way you grow better bucks and you pass on the jeans and have time to see which bucks to keep or remove.

Isn't that high-grading?

I would think if you want to improve the genetics, to only shoot bucks with small antlers, you know, cull out the low-grade material.

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

beenthere

Okra
Old way of managing, but it didn't work out well.

The smaller racks may be 1 1/2 yr old bucks that are growing antlers very fast, but just look rough and crooked so appear to be bad genetics. They likely are next years' large 8-10 pts and the following years' 12-14 pts.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Most all small racked deer are just young.  Most hunters do not have the skills to know what a cull buck really is, and many, many of the young ones get killed in the guise of genetics.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Well, I don't really have dog in the hunt anyway-- when I hunt it is to harvest meat, not to find a trophy. First legal deer in range is mine.  ;)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Magicman

We occasionally take out culls.

This was one of two 2½ year old culls.  I saw both of them with 1½ spikes the year before and could not get a shot at either.

The next year I got both of them.

And this is another cull. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Cool video Jeff! So now, you're the tech guy so... how do I fix 270 cal holes in my monitor? ;D

I saw 19 total the past two weekends in Maryland, 4 bucks and the rest does or button bucks. Nothing bigger than a six pointer, and the does were too small to bother with. My BIL's grandson took a really nice 9 point in a stand maybe 200 yrds from me. He was only in the stand 15-20 minutes and it came tearing in after a doe. Not terribly large, about 180lbs, but the rack was the thing of dreams.

I may be getting soft too. A couple years ago I'd have taken one of the small does, but now I think to myself do I really want to track that thing if I don't drop it cold?

We hunt two farms. My BIL's place is "the meat farm", his sons place it "the trophy farm". The son hasn't pulled the trigger in several years. He explained to me that each time he pulls the trigger now it costs him $500 dollars. Butchering cost and having it mounted. He and his crew are on the prow for a monster buck they've seen on his farm that could easily be mistaken for a horse... :o

Jeff

Tomorrow is opening day of muzzle loading season here. Lou gave me permission to take the firt deer the government would deem legal.  :D

Yesterday was fun with a milk jug day to get ready. :) Longest shot I might have in the tangle I'm hunting might be 50 yards. This was at 50 yards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbuMj3Cg1c0

WDH

If you were hunting milk jugs, I can see that you would be trouble  ;D.

Good luck tomorrow with the deer hunt.

Norm

doctorb

What's the seasonal limit on milk jugs?  Do you get one whole milk jug, and then have to take a 2% or a skim?  Is there a separate buttermilk season?  How about chocolat milk?  Do you put out a cookie feeder to attract them?  I suppose that PETA hasn't complained to you yet, but once this type of hunting catches on, you better look out!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG Jeff......now you see it....now you don't!  :D  how's that shoulder?  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 07, 2012, 08:27:27 AM
DanG Jeff......now you see it....now you don't!  :D  how's that shoulder?  :)

Yeah-- I was wondering about that! I have a tricky shoulder myself (any time a 250-lb guy dives out of the way of a falling dump truck body and hits the concrete on his shoulder is a bad scenario) and I have to be careful about shooting guns with a big kick. Five magnum rounds from my 12 gauge is about enough for me to call it a day. Maybe that's why you like muzzle-loader season-- at least there's a guarantee your shoulder has some time to recover between shots!  ;D

Jeff

My shoulder has really had an amazing recovery. Its taken a long time, but other than a little bit of range of motion, its really feelig great. Now, back to gazing into the brush. Nothing moving this morning. It warmed up so much over night that the snow is all gone.

Texas Ranger

Some times a man just gotta shoot something.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Texas Ranger on December 07, 2012, 10:46:58 AM
Some times a man just gotta shoot something.

:D :D :D :D    smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!